• Register Today It's free!

Explorer dying when given gas.

AccordRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Firestone, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
OK so the last couple of days the explorer had had the engine light come on and off randomly. Got it checked and it was po156 and po157 o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2.

Well today when I Started it was idling rough for about 3 minutes, then idled normal. As soon as I touched the gas pedal it died. So I replaced the o2 sensor and still have the same problem. Upon trying to start i can also smell fuel out of the exhaust. Now its doesn't want to start at all. Any ideas on what it could be? Its a 99 SOHC 4.0

If its not one thing its another. Starting to drive me crazy.

post cat O2 sensor?

P0156 02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0157 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

My 2000 Sport has four O2 sensors - a pre catalytic and post catalytic on each bank. The post cat O2 sensors have very little impact on the operation of the vehicle. I think their main function is to check the functionality of the catalytic converters. There are several different O2 configurations for the Sport. If yours is like mine then I doubt the Bank 2 Sensor 2 would have any impact on idle, acceleration or engine start.

I suggest checking the fuel pressure. You can use starting fluid spray if you don't have a pressure gauge. If the engine starts on starting fluid then you probably have a fuel problem.

If the engine cold starts but does not warm start then check the engine coolant temperature sensor.

This link may be some help: Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

Fixed it! Turned out to be a dirty MAF.

Back