Explorer EV Coming | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer EV Coming

Electric cars are really easy to make bolt on kit fast. The advanced traction controls are old news as far as electric driven motion is concerned.

The Mustang E was baby blue and
looked a lot taller than in photos. The front end looked very Tesla-esque. The lack of any kind of grille doesn’t work for me.

Electric cars aren’t going to roll out in numbers that really effect anything because they can’t mass produce the batteries with current technology. There’s no way they could get enough raw materials to build enough batteries to replace the current fossil fuel based cars.

A cleaner burning biofuel coupled to reasonable hybrid setup is much more viable if an option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also there are many countries that are mandating cars be all electric by a certain year, and they will eat up all the resources and price them out of the market anywhere there is an option.

And just for the record Tesla’s are a joke. The company will fold shortly after the electric car credit other manufactures have to buy end.

I've seen a couple. They look good for what they are but in my opinion should NOT be called Mustangs. If they we're called something else people would say they look great. Its just not a Mustang.
True mustangs are SUPPOSED to be 2-door fast sports cars and the suv does look good but same should not be called a mustang

The soot doesn't come out of the tailpipe, but the smokestacks of the electric power plants. In other words, not in MY backyard, but the same amount or more, in some poor folks' neighborhoods.

Then why was the air so much cleaner in cities during the height of the pandemic's lock down? I had never seen the air so clear around here. It was like living in a different place for a couple months.

Then why was the air so much cleaner in cities during the height of the pandemic's lock down? I had never seen the air so clear around here. It was like living in a different place for a couple months.
Agreed. Cars pollute more than electric production. I assume less air travel played a roll as well.

Plus, you can produce electricity much cleaner than a gas car can be. Nuclear would be viable if we ever kept up with anything. Most of our nuclear plants are running on 70s tech. The controls systems in place in most of them are bananas.

We need to take bets as to whether or not they will botch the rollout. :eek:

From what I read, it won't be built at CAP so the rollout should be pretty good lol.

I mean.. one could hope.

The other fun fact is that without gasoline taxes, there will have to be another way to extract money from car buyers to fix the roads. If you think electricity is expensive now, wait until they stop subsidizing these things and charge for road taxes.

California has rolling brown-outs in the summer now; I know, let’s force every gas powered car off the road by 2030! Great idea!

Also, electric cars are entirely driven by computers - just look at how well Ford has handled Sync for a clue about how well they will troubleshoot your EV. Don’t be tempted to buy the first Lightning...

The other fun fact is that without gasoline taxes, there will have to be another way to extract money from car buyers to fix the roads. If you think electricity is expensive now, wait until they stop subsidizing these things and charge for road taxes.

California has rolling brown-outs in the summer now; I know, let’s force every gas powered car off the road by 2030! Great idea!

Also, electric cars are entirely driven by computers - just look at how well Ford has handled Sync for a clue about how well they will troubleshoot your EV. Don’t be tempted to buy the first Lightning...
Lots of things are highly computer controlled. Just because Ford is a huge, hot pile of garbage lately doesn’t mean anyone else couldn’t roll out a solid model. An electric car is actually a lot less involved parts wise than fuel powered.

Lots of things are highly computer controlled. Just because Ford is a huge, hot pile of garbage lately doesn’t mean anyone else couldn’t roll out a solid model. An electric car is actually a lot less involved parts wise than fuel powered.
Yep just a few moving parts

It’s all well known tech. Industry has been using electric drives for years.

We had a demonstration model sent to us by Rockwell for a conveyor control algorithm. There were two race cars on a straight line track. They each had an upright bracket with a pendulum on it. You turned on the “sway control”. And the cars could shoot down the track and stop without disturbing the pendulum. With it off it rocked back and forth wildly, and it didn’t do it by starting and stopping slowly. I’m not sure how it actually functioned, but it was very bizarre watching them “race” side by side.

An electric vehicle could have amazing traction control.

EV's are a great thing for the power and maintenance, but the source of power is the downside. We do not have enough electricity to feed our needs right now, without fossil fuels. That is not going to change no matter how many EV's we have now, or for the foreseeable future.

Most people know that 80-90% of all electricity comes from fossil fuels depending on where you live. The renewable sources provide very little electricity everywhere, and there isn't enough land to cover all of it with windmills or solar panels.

EV's are still very few of total vehicles on the road. If ICE's get mandated away, the EV's will have to be 20 times what they are now, say from 5% to 100%. Transition that in any way you like, increasing the demand for electricity by 10-20 times, while reducing fossil fuels, will not work.

We barely have enough renewable energy electricity, to power all of the small amount of EV's there are now. Eliminating the use of coal and natural gas in any way, or taxing it(us) to death, will not solve the electricity shortage. As electric vehicle numbers increase, the shortages will get worse, and utility costs will soar.

The only answer is to find other sources of electricity which don't exist now, or continue using fossil fuels until something does. The biggest problem is that government is stupid, they are going to abuse their power and tax us to death, for their own purposes(not to our benefit).

Also there are many countries that are mandating cars be all electric by a certain year, and they will eat up all the resources and price them out of the market anywhere there is an option.

And just for the record Tesla’s are a joke. The company will fold shortly after the electric car credit other manufactures have to buy end.
Tesla is a joke and that is one religion I don't want anything to do with. Batteries are stone age technology, Fred Flintstone used them in his car. Photocatalysis is now near 100%, the person who figures out how to package it in a tank in a car will be a saint. Internal combustion engines are not dead, just need a clean fuel.

EV's are a great thing for the power and maintenance, but the source of power is the downside. We do not have enough electricity to feed our needs right now, without fossil fuels. That is not going to change no matter how many EV's we have now, or for the foreseeable future.

Most people know that 80-90% of all electricity comes from fossil fuels depending on where you live. The renewable sources provide very little electricity everywhere, and there isn't enough land to cover all of it with windmills or solar panels.

EV's are still very few of total vehicles on the road. If ICE's get mandated away, the EV's will have to be 20 times what they are now, say from 5% to 100%. Transition that in any way you like, increasing the demand for electricity by 10-20 times, while reducing fossil fuels, will not work.

We barely have enough renewable energy electricity, to power all of the small amount of EV's there are now. Eliminating the use of coal and natural gas in any way, or taxing it(us) to death, will not solve the electricity shortage. As electric vehicle numbers increase, the shortages will get worse, and utility costs will soar.

The only answer is to find other sources of electricity which don't exist now, or continue using fossil fuels until something does. The biggest problem is that government is stupid, they are going to abuse their power and tax us to death, for their own purposes(not to our benefit).

Tesla has not had rebates for years.... mine is power by solar panels on my roof.... it’s not cheap but when I pay $60 to $80 to fill my explorers tank and the get 14 MPG, I do not feel like it’s that expensive. But if we do not reduce the emissions around the world we ( or our grandkids) will be joining the dinosaurs that provide our gas.

I’m talking about the credits they sell to other manufacturers not the consumer rebates.

IMO petroleum is renewed by the planet and not a finite source of energy. It's not a "fossil" fuel.
As far as "clean" energy I am very pro nuclear. Apart from hydro it's as clean as it gets and can generate an infinite amount of electricity.
One of my old customers, Home Depot, has been converting the batteries that power their forklifts at the DC's to hydrogen generators.
And man made climate change is junk science.

IMO petroleum is renewed by the planet and not a finite source of energy. It's not a "fossil" fuel.
As far as "clean" energy I am very pro nuclear. Apart from hydro it's as clean as it gets and can generate an infinite amount of electricity.
One of my old customers, Home Depot, has been converting the batteries that power their forklifts at the DC's to hydrogen generators.
I don’t believe crude oil is being replenished as fast as we’re pulling it out of the ground.

I don’t believe crude oil is being replenished as fast as we’re pulling it out of the ground.
I didn't say "as fast as we are pulling it out of the ground". I don't believe that either.
Peak oil was supposed to happen in the United States in 1970 and worldwide in the 90's.
1 1/2 years ago oil was so plentiful here that the United States was energy independent for the first time in history.
Petroleum is not a finite resource. If so, according to the 'experts', we would have run out a long time ago.
Do a search on 'oil is renewable' you'll find pros and cons.

Climate change is real, constant, forever, and has nothing to do with humans. Human caused climate change is not reality, it's stupid, and there is no proof of any change caused by humans. Given that there is no substantial evidence of actual climate conditions prior to the 20th century, it's impossible for those that believe it, to prove it. Today's records of temp, humidity, etc, weather patterns, in all major cities and countries of the world, do not exist from the 1800's , let alone before, or 1000 years ago etc. Back in just the 1800's, only rare individuals were collecting temperature data etc, in their personal locations.

There were no organizations to collect the kind of full data which is being done today, which some use to blame us humans for any change of the weather. All of their historical data is based on guesses, scientific models from looking at fossils etc, not actual data points. That's the same source that was used to predict the Covid 19 pandemic, models, which by definition are scientific guesses. They were all wrong last year, and so are all of the Global Warming nuts, their guesses are all wrong, their conclusions are unprovable. But they continue to push it, and it's not for the benefit of the people, it's for their elitist purposes, power and wealth etc.

According to the experts(a person in Congress called that?), we will all die in about ten years(oceans will drown us by then). We should enjoy the benefits of the resources we have, ignore the idiot leaders, and work ourselves to find better energy solutions. We would solve them without mandates or banning products or industries, but the leaders won't allow us to handle it without their "help."

I’m talking about the credits they sell to other manufacturers not the consumer rebates.

Yup, stelantis or whatever they call themself now has already stated they are not buying credits from Tesla going forward. And with Ford pushing the EV, I doubt they will either. Tesla is going to be really hurting since without the credits, they have not turned a quarterly profit yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tesla has not had rebates for years.... mine is power by solar panels on my roof.... it’s not cheap but when I pay $60 to $80 to fill my explorers tank and the get 14 MPG, I do not feel like it’s that expensive. But if we do not reduce the emissions around the world we ( or our grandkids) will be joining the dinosaurs that provide our gas.
Michael Moore (yes THE Michael Moore) produced a documentary (Planet of the Humans) about renewable energy. It is very informative regarding just how environmentally damaging the green energy industry has become. It is a farce built upon lie after lie to make people like Al Gore mega rich. In many ways the fossil fuel industry is greener than the renewable energy industry. There is no free lunch when it comes to energy. The key to sustaining the human population long term is energy efficiency (not necessarily current renewable energy) and less population. I have a link to the documentary below. IMO, it is a much watch for everyone to see. It rips the facade off the green energy industry and tells the truth about what is going on with the scams they are promoting. I am no fan of Michael Moore but I give him credit for having the nads to produce this documentary.

Back