Explorer EV Coming | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer EV Coming

Green energy, EV development etc. would be much better off if the government would get out of making stupid mandates to force this technology onto people. The free market will make it happen if, or when, it is viable. The people will adopt it if, or when, it is viable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Green energy, EV development etc. would be much better off if the government would get out of making stupid mandates to force this technology onto people. The free market will make it happen if, or when, it is viable. The people will adopt it if, or when, it is viable.

Here here. Get this man a cold beverage.

I need a thousand kilometres a day at highway speeds when on vacation. The east coast of Canada to the west coast of USA, and return, is my standard annual trek. At this time of EV evolution that's just not practical. I like to gas up, go for a slant, and then carry on.

BTW...I love the US Interstate Highway system. There's nothing like it up here. I connect with I-95 in Bangor and "motor west" as the song says until we end up at the Santa Monica pier. Couldn't do it last year. Can't wait to do it again.

Those trips are always in the 2011 Mustang convertible.

Just a reminder that this thread is on the Explorer EV.

Peter
The discussion seems pretty civil so far. You have good members.

I don’t know. I think support of the development and adoption of new technologies is a valid and necessary function of government. There are many instances where the cost, risk, or vision associated with a new development are beyond the scope of business or “the market”. The space program is a great example.

Government provided the initial vision, investment, and development. Now there are innumerable products and services that we use every day and businesses are making billions of dollars on; medical technology, microelectronics, global communication, global positioning, etc. Huge numbers of people have been employed, private business has built on that foundation, and the success or failure of any related product or service is determined by “the market”. These things would never have happened at the pace they did without the initial government investment and vision.

Electric cars are pretty much the same. Government has assisted the development in the form of tax rebates, but now most of that is finished and people are deciding to buy them or not based on their merits. Personally, current electric cars don’t meet my use case, but that could change in the future, and they do for hundreds of thousands of people today. If the electric car business fails in the future it will be hard to suggest that the paltry government investment wasn’t worth trying.

I don’t know. I think support of the development and adoption of new technologies is a valid and necessary function of government. There are many instances where the cost, risk, or vision associated with a new development are beyond the scope of business or “the market”. The space program is a great example.

Government provided the initial vision, investment, and development. Now there are innumerable products and services that we use every day and businesses are making billions of dollars on; medical technology, microelectronics, global communication, global positioning, etc. Huge numbers of people have been employed, private business has built on that foundation, and the success or failure of any related product or service is determined by “the market”. These things would never have happened at the pace they did without the initial government investment and vision.

Electric cars are pretty much the same. Government has assisted the development in the form of tax rebates, but now most of that is finished and people are deciding to buy them or not based on their merits. Personally, current electric cars don’t meet my use case, but that could change in the future, and they do for hundreds of thousands of people today. If the electric car business fails in the future it will be hard to suggest that the paltry government investment wasn’t worth trying.
Looking at how the government has handled the push for green energy up to now tells me they are far too incompetent and corrupt to be put in charge of something that should be left to free market forces. They gave hundreds billions of dollars to companies that failed miserably but managed to funnel much of those billions to politicians, their cronies, lobbyists, corporations and Wall Street thieves. Government is far too corrupt these days to be trusted to run even a lemonade stand. The free market is the only thing that works any more and the government is trying as hard as it can to screw that up to their benefit too.

You are thinking back to when government was mostly competent and not nearly as corrupted. That time is long past. Goverment has grown far too big and has too much money they control to remain uncorrupted.

Looking at how the government has handled the push for green energy up to now tells me they are far too incompetent and corrupt to be put in charge of something that should be left to free market forces. They gave hundreds billions of dollars to companies that failed miserably but managed to funnel much of those billions to politicians, their cronies, lobbyists, corporations and Wall Street thieves. Government is far too corrupt these days to be trusted to run even a lemonade stand. The free market is the only thing that works any more and the government is trying as hard as it can to screw that up to their benefit too.

You are thinking back to when government was mostly competent and not nearly as corrupted. That time is long past. Goverment has grown far too big and has too much money they control to remain uncorrupted.
I can only think of 2 words. Solyndra

I can only think of 2 words. Solyndra
Solyndra is just one of hundreds of failures (aka money laundering operations), if not more.

Eventually, EVs will have wireless charging. The technology could be used on the roads so one would never have to stop to recharge.

Eventually, EVs will have wireless charging. The technology could be used on the roads so one would never have to stop to recharge.
Wireless charging is far more inefficient than a hard wired connection. It would require a huge increase in the electrical capacity of the grid, and generating plants, to provide this form of charging. To see a real world example of what I am referring to, compare the charge times for a smart phone using a hard wired connection versus wireless using the same USB wall charger. The wired connection charges much faster due to its much more efficient use of elecctricity. This is with the phone only millimeters away from the wireless charging coil. Slowly move your phone away from the pad and it stops charging after a very small distance is reached. Plus, as the distance increases the charge rate falls exponentially. The current needed to charge EVs is massive and transmitting a current that high over even a few inches would have serious safety, and possibly health, issues. The power to charge at even low current rates would be massive. We would need a Tesseract to power a wireless EV charging system. :)

That would be great but the utility companies won't allow it since they will be giving away free power & have nobody to send a bill to.
It would be some sort of a toll managed by the federal government due to the inter-state aspect of it.
Just a guess.

That would be great but the utility companies won't allow it since they will be giving away free power & have nobody to send a bill to.
For wireless EV charging to be viable the electricity would have to be free. We would have to learn how to tap into the dark energy web to supply enough power. But then if we can do that then just have the EVs tap into it directly and cut out all the infrastructure. :)

Bless their hearts...

Southern blessing, this Yankee read about what it means, LOL. And the car on the trailer just not enough HP to tow the tow vehicle, LOL. Maybe the same range, ha ha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Electric vehicles don't require maintenance like tune ups, filter, and fluid changes. They don't have sensor issues but could still throw codes for power steering, brakes, air bags, inverter power issues, etc. Mechanics require special training to work with high voltage systems, and need different types of tools. They are cleaner to work on since you don't have oil leaks & rusted exhaust systems. You don't have to worry about running out of gas but instead you have to find a place to recharge. Charging stations with high current superchargers are capable of providing a quick partial charge to get you going from one charging station to another in a short time. The technology keeps getting more advanced so we won't miss the internal combustion engine after it gets phased out. There are already many electric buses, delivery trucks, motorcycles, and cars in use.
just yesterday a report about shortage of mechanics who can work on the they do require service, and service centers have to be large because rules or practice don't allow them to be parked next to each other in case of fire. tow yards also after wrecks cannot be parked near another car or building or left on flatbeds and fl found so many when the hurricane salt water flooded them many fires occurred since salt water is a great conductor

Back