Explorer Express Supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Express Supercharger

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Here is an article I came across on ********* website, and am disappointed that California CARB ok'd the approval for the supercharger on the 02-04 Explorers, but wants more testing on 97-01 Elxplorers who live in California. Maybe John V can answer this question?

Article:
"The 4.0 SOHC is done now. We have 21 units on the road and the bugs are all gone. We sold 3 X-CHARGER kits last week and one so far this week. We had a lot of problems with ProM MAF tuning and that set us back about 6 months.

The 4.0 SOHC X-CHARGER for 02-04 Explorers has been exempted by CARB for sale in California. But since the early Explorer/SportTrac/Ranger is a little different CARB wants it tested separately. We are in the process now. Plus Ford is constantly changing the fuel injection on these models so we're shooting at a moving target. As long as you don't live in California, we can ship you a 4.0 SOHC or 5.0 X-CHARGER tomorrow."

Funny. Designed, tested, and built in California. Not legal for use in California.

Stupid California.

-B

PS - My 2000 5.0 just passed the CA smog test with ZERO emissions. lol....

Now I'm glad I did not put a deposit down for it. What makes me mad is all these cars I see on the road that put out tons of toxic fumes but the state of California keeps passing them on emissions. Hopefully Apten will come out with their supercharger soon.

California != cool

Long ago I decided on a list of states I would never live in for various reasons. California is number 1. :p

Back