Explorer Fan Is Born | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Explorer Fan Is Born

Kinnish

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT "THE GENERAL"
Today I convinced a fellow friend with a 95' Explorer , completely stock, to take it off-roading near the river here in Des Moines after school. Well we eventually got there and turned on the 4wd and got down to business. One thing about my friend is that we kinda peer pressured him into it , he wants to get his explorer to do kool things but he doesn't want to screw it up. And he has never driven anythin off-road. Anywayz, the first right he took, he cut it to short and his back and front tire ended up about 8" to a foot in the mud. Well, he tried many times and finally he looked at me who was sitting in the passenger seat, I've been off-roadin before and have raced 4wheelers etc. I put her in 4wd Low and got it rockin a bit and finally figured out my plan of attack. My friend was very nervous and kept getting whiter in the face , but finally we got out. The essence of this story is that I wanted to get an explorer before, and because of all this I definetely want to get one. I was amazed at how good it handled big ruts and the stock suspension traveled. The 4wd low is super torquey and helped big time.

To sum things up, my friend is either more into off-roading now that he is so lucky to get unstuck, or he is throwing in the towel, we can't figure him out. One thing I do know is that I personally have alot of respect for Explorers and a new Explorer Fan has been born.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Cool. It's good to hear some postive feedback on our X's. Welcome to the site!

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
that's cool. you should check ebay. you could get a real good deal on an explorer there. i saw a 98 Eddie Bauer 4X4 go for $8700.

95ExplorerLtd

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hymera, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited 4x4
Welcome to the site! Now is the time to buy if you're in teh market for an Explorer. They're going for CHEAP around here after the Ford/Firestone fiasco.