Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Has anyone swapped out a Mountaineer front end for and Explorer? Or vs.

Hood, fender, headlights, bumper cover, grill, header panel. These are all different.

My main concern is the metal mounting points underneath. Such as for the header panel.

I took out my Mounty’s front end with my ‘79 F250 a while back. It’s the irridecent white. Hard to find a donor and there’s a white explorer available at the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The inner fender wells, aprons ect SHOULD be identical.
I would compare the radiator supports between the two. That being said, if you are willing to cut the front end of both off it would be doable.
I would recommend though to not cut the welds out to remove the inner fender aprons from under the door opening panels. If I had a do over I would cut both sides from the inner brace inside the inner fender aprons and weld back in place as one unit. Which is how I did mine except I did pull out the drivers side completely from behind the door opening panel. The DOP is welded over top of the apron and door removal is a pain.

Hopefully these images upload. Nope can't upload check the link though hopefully it well help you understand what I'm saying.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DSmft3Wx3td8PTfj7

The first and second photos on the left show what I mean about cutting out at the Door OPening.
DOP is what the Stamping plant called those pieces when I worked there. (sorry had to explain)

Has anyone swapped out a Mountaineer front end for and Explorer? Or vs.

Hood, fender, headlights, bumper cover, grill, header panel. These are all different.

My main concern is the metal mounting points underneath. Such as for the header panel.

I took out my Mounty’s front end with my ‘79 F250 a while back. It’s the irridecent white. Hard to find a donor and there’s a white explorer available at the moment.
Quoting so you get notification.

Thanks for the info, I remember reading your original post I believe.

I was backing down my driveway and thought I heard a noise. Looked in my passenger mirror and realized I was real close to the Mounty and drove forward. I then heard a much louder noise as the end of my ‘79’s bumper ripped the bumper off my Mounty. Never felt it.

The Mounty had a front end collision before I got it. It needs a header panel, pass. fender, bumper and really a hood. Frame is okay. So I’m mainly wondering if the attachment parts would bolt on. I’m tired of waiting for a similar colored Mounty donor.

Thanks for the info, I remember reading your original post I believe.

I was backing down my driveway and thought I heard a noise. Looked in my passenger mirror and realized I was real close to the Mounty and drove forward. I then heard a much louder noise as the end of my ‘79’s bumper ripped the bumper off my Mounty. Never felt it.

The Mounty had a front end collision before I got it. It needs a header panel, pass. fender, bumper and really a hood. Frame is okay. So I’m mainly wondering if the attachment parts would bolt on. I’m tired of waiting for a similar colored Mounty donor.
I would think the attachments are probably almost identicle. If you can get the outer skins off we can compare. I've been dealing with mine for close to two years now.
Working on fixing some rust spots while waiting on the windshield reveal molding to arrive.

Back