Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wayne40404

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Hill, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I've had the 2012 limited ecoboost for about 2 months now with 1700 miles. I'm getting an average of 16-17mpg city and around 24 highway. This is driving VERY conservative. I know this doesn't seem like much, but we're talking a 20% decrease from the sticker MPG. I've owned a few new Ford vehicles in the past and never had any issues getting the fuel economy on the sticker (if not better). Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get no better than 19 in the city on a very good day. Most of the time I am at 18.Highest highway I have gotten is 24 on a 180 mile trip. Flat, no wind.

I've had the 2012 limited ecoboost for about 2 months now with 1700 miles. I'm getting an average of 16-17mpg city and around 24 highway. This is driving VERY conservative. I know this doesn't seem like much, but we're talking a 20% decrease from the sticker MPG. I've owned a few new Ford vehicles in the past and never had any issues getting the fuel economy on the sticker (if not better). Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas?

Depends on where you're driving, how you're driving, how many stops, etc. After break in it should get better MPG. I have a V6 4WD and I've been getting 12 - 14 MPG this winter but during the summer I get MPGs from 15 - 17 in all city driving. There are many factors including winter gas.

Mileage

I have the ecoboost also, but my mileage isn't bad. I am averaging around 24 mpg now between highway and town. I normally drive around half and half. Do you have alot of hills in your area?

12-14? Isn't that a little too low?

I have mostly city driving where I get around 17 - 18, this is with 3 passengers. On highway with 6 passengers and cargo I averaged around 21 mpg. Mine is a V6 4WD, so I am surprised at your mpg. I now have about 7000 miles on mine.

Depends on where you're driving, how you're driving, how many stops, etc. After break in it should get better MPG. I have a V6 4WD and I've been getting 12 - 14 MPG this winter but during the summer I get MPGs from 15 - 17 in all city driving. There are many factors including winter gas.

12-14? Isn't that a little too low?

I have mostly city driving where I get around 17 - 18, this is with 3 passengers. On highway with 6 passengers and cargo I averaged around 21 mpg. Mine is a V6 4WD, so I am surprised at your mpg. I now have about 7000 miles on mine.

I get around 19 mixed with the V6, AWD, mostly back roads with plenty of hills and stop signs. Not a tremendous amount of highway, but most of it is stop and go.

I have a heavy foot, as well.

As suggested, this is probably due to the winter blend gasoline. Your figures should dramatically increase in the summer.
Back when I had my 5th generation Civic, I could hypermile to 50 MPG w/o much effort but couldnt achieve the same results during the winter.

Millstadt:
I thought I would achieve the same results. My area is mostly flat, and I do a little highway driving as well. I thought that I could get around 24 also. I guess I could just wait a while, for the break in period. I just didn't know if I should raise the issue with my dealership.

That's still better than the 3.5, and you've got about 7,000 miles to go for break-in.

I've got the 3.5 and my on board computer says I'm getting 21.7 overall. The only trip I took I managed 23.8 at 78 mph and with the cruise control on.

Winter blend fuel will decrease gas mileage around 2-3mpg depending on vehicle. My 5.0L explorer gets 2 mpg less in winter.

Winter blend fuel will decrease gas mileage around 2-3mpg depending on vehicle. My 5.0L explorer gets 2 mpg less in winter.

I notice about a 1 mpg drop since winter has arrived. I'm getting about 19.5 right now. I hope it returns in the spring.

2012 ford explorer ecoboost mpg

I have had my new explorer for about 4 months and love the vehicle except for the gas mileage performance. The actual mpg is not even close to the 28/20 advertised by ford. I get more like 23/19 on average. I have tested it on several different trips, resetting to get highway mileage only, using different speeds, cruise control etc. Not even close to the 28 mph highway advertised! In fact I checked the gallons pumped for 6 fill ups, and in every case, the amount of fuel pumped (purchased) at each fill up was more than the car's trip computer calculated in every case. So, the calculated mpg is even less than what the car's trip computer is reporting! I guess I didn't really expect 28/20, but I didn't think I would miss by 5 (or more) mpg! This is a big difference, and I am disappointed with the results. Maybe a case of false advertising???

2011 V6 here with 15K miles and I get around 19mpg avg with 70% city/30% hwy.

My wife has the 2012 Limited Ecoboost and shes averaging 13-15 mpg with mix driving. The car only has 1100 miles on it. I hope it gets better.

This is very frustrating to say the least. Hopefully Ford car do something about this, but it doesn't look good. I guess we just lost $1000 for opting to go with the ecoboost when the standard engine is the same if not better by most reviews.

Maybe a case of false advertising???

None of us drive 55 MPH, with no stops, with no wind, on flat roads...consistently. 5000 lbs is 5000 lbs. You bought a 7 seat SUV...welcome to the teens.....

How fast are you traveling on the highway? The faster you travel, the faster your MPG's drop. Give it some more time, maybe it just needs to break in a bit more.
I've been pretty pleased so far with the mileage from my 4x4 Limited 3.5. I can typically get between 18-19 around "town". When I say town though, I'm not talking big city driving. I don't have tons of lights and stops between home and work. On my last 300 mile highway trip, I averaged 25.6 mpg for the trip. I currently have 4500 miles on my Explorer.

My wife has the 2012 Limited Ecoboost and shes averaging 13-15 mpg with mix driving. The car only has 1100 miles on it. I hope it gets better.

Right after I got my Ecoboost in December, I averaged 26.5 on a 1800 mile trip. Last summer I did the same trip with an '11 awd Edge and averaged 23.5. My typical speed was 76 with a little mountain driving in NC and Tenn. (to Milwaukee and back form western NC). My Ex now has 3300 miles. Typical highway mpg in a 60 to 65 zone is 28. My city mileage varies greatly, but with a lot of short trips 16 or 17 is normal. My last tank average was 20. 2-3 mpg better than the Edge. I found that a smooth driving style is rewarded!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similarly, we have a 2012 Ecoboost for the past two months with ~2200 miles that averages 19 MPG in mixed driving - as reported by the on-board trip computer. On a recent 120 mile trip with only two adults on-board, it managed 23.5 MPG on the freeway. It's somewhat disappointing and we're having a little bit of buyer's remorse by picking the Ecoboost over the V6. I've already mentioned this to our Ford sales person and the service department will look into this issue on the next service visit.

Back