Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lots of variables to consider here. First, I'd check your tire pressure. Make sure they're not under-inflated. Also, what kinds of speeds are you doing on the highway? I took a trip to NY from Baltimore Friday and did 70-80 the trip and managed 26.3 mpg with 7 passengers. It definitely seems like you should be getting more than 19.5 for highway. Or is that your average? I think the main thing to note with the explorer and especially these 4 cylinder turbos is its tough on city gas mileage getting this heavy SUV up and running. But once you're on the highway running, it's pretty efficient. Even loaded down at high speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several members who have posted that the think the 2.0 is under powered for such a large vehicle. I've not driven a 2.0 so I can't say if that is the case but I think a V6 wouldn't be far off what the 2.0 would get. I also hate to break it to you but the mileage shown on the dash readout is actually a bit generous meaning that you are likely getting less than what it shows.

Peter

We have a 2017 2WD 3.5 non Ecoboost and city average is about 15-17mpg and highway is about 22-25mpg. Not horrid, but not that great.

For perspective, our 2016 Town n Country would average 16-18mpg city and 25-27mpg highway.

I think highway mpg could be better if Ford used a 8 or 9sp transmission, as the RPMs are a bit on the high side(2000-2200rpms) while cruising at 70-80mph.

On the flip side, this 6sp is one of the best programmed transmissions I have yet to encounter. With one exception to my 2014 Ram with ZF 8sp, but they are close, Ford has done an excellent job on the programming.

I'm seeing about 21 mpg in mixed leaning toward highway driving. I reset the trip meter each time I fill up. The other economy gauge shows 20.3 up from about 19.3 when I got it back in February. I reset that one when I got and haven't again since. I did notice a difference when I put the new wheels/tires on it. I went for a lightweight rim and a lighter low rolling resistance tire. Since it was a different tire size I also updated the speedo in Forscan.

I feel like (haven't tried to verify it) it does better at 45 - 50 then it does at 65 or 70. That's different than most other vehicles I've owned.

I'm seeing about 21 mpg in mixed leaning toward highway driving. I reset the trip meter each time I fill up. The other economy gauge shows 20.3 up from about 19.3 when I got it back in February. I reset that one when I got and haven't again since. I did notice a difference when I put the new wheels/tires on it. I went for a lightweight rim and a lighter low rolling resistance tire. Since it was a different tire size I also updated the speedo in Forscan.

I feel like (haven't tried to verify it) it does better at 45 - 50 then it does at 65 or 70. That's different than most other vehicles I've owned.

What engine do you have? Since I got my 2.3 EB in March, I have been at a solid 22 mpg in the summer, and was about 21 mpg with cold weather. It's the city driving that kills the gas mileage. I can get 25+ easily in this thing on the highway. I got almost 27 mpg with 7 passengers doing 75 mph on a trip up NY this past weekend.

What engine do you have? Since I got my 2.3 EB in March, I have been at a solid 22 mpg in the summer, and was about 21 mpg with cold weather. It's the city driving that kills the gas mileage. I can get 25+ easily in this thing on the highway. I got almost 27 mpg with 7 passengers doing 75 mph on a trip up NY this past weekend.

My bad. The NA 3.5.

I just took the Explorer on a 100 mile round trip and averaged about 27mpg. Computer showed 29mpg, but calculations showed a bit lower.

This was all highway(flat) and a bit of in town traffic. Seems to be getting better, she now has 10k miles, so I think everything is more broken in.

Have about 80k mi. on 2013 2.0 ECOBoost and get 19-20 city and 25-26 mpg HWY doing 70mph. If I work at it I still get close to 28 mpg actual at the pump.:) Makes a big difference in MTE 500 vs 360 mi.

Paul

Have about 80k mi. on 2013 2.0 ECOBoost and get 19-20 city and 25-26 mpg HWY doing 70mph. If I work at it I still get close to 28 mpg actual at the pump.:) Makes a big difference in MTE 500 vs 360 mi.

Paul
Is that figure from the dash readout Paul or hand calculated? The dash readout is somewhat generous.

That is from hand calculated, use Fuelly.com to keep track of it. It's my Wife's car so she does 90% of the driving, uses Regular gas and A/C most of the time. I accidentally put a tank of Premium in and saw about a 1 mpg increase in MPG's. On Fuelly her average is 22.5 mpg and my best tank was 29.3 mpg when it was new.:)

Paul

That is from hand calculated, use Fuelly.com to keep track of it. It's my Wife's car so she does 90% of the driving, uses Regular gas and A/C most of the time. I accidentally put a tank of Premium in and saw about a 1 mpg increase in MPG's. On Fuelly her average is 22.5 mpg and my best tank was 29.3 mpg when it was new.:)

Paul
Thanks Paul. I also use that site. I have my previous 2 vehicles on it as well and it's a nice feature to be able to compare them all.

Peter

My 2017 PIU with the 3.7 gets 20.5 on the freeway by the very skin of its teeth. In town 15 is a struggle. It needs a bigger tank. Something that burns that much should carry more, I think.

2011 Explorer limited ONLY 16MPG combined ???

Just got a very clean used 2011 explorer limited 2WD with 80k on it. Love the car. City/highway I get about 15.5 but last night drove on highway for 100 miles and got only 16.5 MPG. I really got disappointed !
what can I do to improve my MPG and what average combined do you guys get ?

How fast were you driving? A lot of variables to the MPG result.

How did you calculate fuel mileage in just 100 miles?

Hopefully he’s not trusting the lie-o-meter.

I drove moderately at about 70 mph on a flat highway, my fuel calculator thing is set to increments of 10 minutes and it says 16.5 MPH on average.
what are you guys getting on highway ? and also combined MPG ?

I drove moderately at about 70 mph on a flat highway, my fuel calculator thing is set to increments of 10 minutes and it says 16.5 MPH on average.

If you’re using the MPG display on your instrument cluster, don’t...it’s usually not accurate...hand calculate will give you a more true number.

2015 on flat terrain at 70mph gives me about 20-23 MPG.

If you’re using the MPG display on your instrument cluster, don’t...it’s usually not accurate...hand calculate will give you a more true number.

2015 on flat terrain at 70mph gives me about 20-23 MPG.
I thought most say the mpg display is typically higher than reality. If that is true, his hand calculated mpg would be even worse. How does that help op with his question?

Op - manually calculate mpg over known miles from full tank. If below avg, it may be weather related, fuel related (ethanol content), or mechanical (pm, tune-up, etc...).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to "reset" it while your on the highway then watch it for 10 min of constant driving at highway speed, this will give you an idea of your highway MPG.

Back