• Register Today It's free!

Explorer grilles

WWexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT 3.5 non-TB
Just bought the wife (and me) a 2015 Explorer XLT. Funny how you never really notice a certain kind of vehicle until you buy one. Anyway, I've seen some Ex's running around with a full chrome or stainless grille. Are these aftermarket chrome overlay add-ons? Or did some of the other trims, Limited, Sport, i.e. come from the factory with these? Thanks for any/all replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe all Explorers come with the silver (chrome, whatever) grille unless you buy the Sport or the Appearance Package.

Mine is tuxedo black and that is the thing I regret about my purchase. I really would like a black grille so the vehicle looks blacked out. I looked on the Ford Parts website and a black grille is quite expensive (to me) so that's out for a while. What I mean by expensive is it is around $400 all told. I had to buy a new grille for my Crown Vic PI and that was around $100.

OEM grilles are painted different depending on trim level. There is no "Appearance package". The base model it is painted a dull silvery grey, XLT it is a bright painted silver, Limited it is painted body color and Sport is painted in piano black. There are chrome overlays that you can get on line.

I have never seen a full chrome or stainless grille on an Explorer.

That 'splains it all. Thanks guys

OEM grilles are painted different depending on trim level. There is no "Appearance package". The base model it is painted a dull silvery grey, XLT it is a bright painted silver, Limited it is painted body color and Sport is painted in piano black. There are chrome overlays that you can get on line.

That's incorrect, Doc. The XLT Appearance Package is $1,495 and comes with:

The Appearance Package is optional on Explorer XLT, and includes:

• Leather-trimmed seats with Miko® suede insert and contrasting stitching
• 20-inch Machined aluminum wheels with painted pockets
Magnetic painted grille, mirror caps and liftgate appliqué
• Black body side cladding and roof rack side rails
• Body-colored door handles
• Floor mats with unique badging
• Explorer badge on hood

That is true but the original poster asked about a chrome or stainless grill. The appearance package comes with the magnetic painted grill not chrome. I questioned that because when I bought my 2015 Limited it was not listed anywhere! Thanks or the heads up.

Back