• Register Today It's free!

Explorer harmonic balancer

RangerGuy1990

Reaction score
City, State
TUPELO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger XLT
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT and I've been trying to remove the harmonic balancer for quite a while now. Every time I try to remove the bolt holding the harmonic balancer, the engine turns. I have tried different ways to keep it from turning, like holding the belt with my hand while trying to remove the bolt, but nothing works. Is there a special tool or something that will keep the engine from turning?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air wrench should work.

Good luck.

I used a strap wrench
1664185349894.png

I used a piece of 2x4 with bolt holes drilled in one end, three to match the puller bolt holes and a large hole in the center for the socket to fit through.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT and I've been trying to remove the harmonic balancer for quite a while now. Every time I try to remove the bolt holding the harmonic balancer, the engine turns. I have tried different ways to keep it from turning, like holding the belt with my hand while trying to remove the bolt, but nothing works. Is there a special tool or something that will keep the engine from turning?
Try a cordless impact driver, 1/2" drive.

But please, don't do it like a dumb 22 y.o. kid that put a breaker bar on the nut, checked the GTO's engine's rotation, mounted the breaker so it would loosen the bolt and bumped the starter. All these years later I still think how lucky I was with that idea.

But please, don't do it like a dumb 22 y.o. kid that put a breaker bar on the nut, checked the GTO's engine's rotation, mounted the breaker so it would loosen the bolt and bumped the starter. All these years later I still think how lucky I was with that idea.
I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube showing the bump start method, are you saying that's not safe to try? I tried using a strap wrench like donalds suggested, but my strap wrench isn't big enough to go all the way around the balancer. I may try the method drdoom suggested with the 2x4.

This. A strap or paracord or anything you can wrap around it a few times and tie off onto the frame or another pulley.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube showing the bump start method, are you saying that's not safe to try? I tried using a strap wrench like donalds suggested, but my strap wrench isn't big enough to go all the way around the balancer. I may try the method drdoom suggested with the 2x4.
Correct. “Bumping“ the engine with a breaker bar attached to it would generally be considered dangerous. That is a lot of force, with a result that is not entirely predictable.

Be careful and good luck.

Use impact gun,even the wheel lugs single action cheap impact wrench will work for you (wrench power source vehicle engine needs to be on)

Engine radiator possibly will need to be removed for additional clearance.

This has been done for ages, and was hardly a new idea.

Use impact gun,even the wheel lugs single action cheap impact wrench will work for you (wrench power source vehicle engine needs to be on)

Engine radiator possibly will need to be removed for additional clearance.
Yes, come to think of it, I was working with the radiator in place and had no clearance for my impact, so that is why I used the 2x4.

Yes, come to think of it, I was working with the radiator in place and had no clearance for my impact, so that is why I used the 2x4.
I had to remove the radiator to fit my impact

2 or 3 years ago, i tried to remove it but couldn't, even with a breaker bar.
Ended up bringing it to a pro, who somehow removed it without touching the radiator.
That's why he's a pro and i'm not. Having the correct tools and all that.

This has been done for ages, and was hardly a new idea.
Trying to find where I said it was a NEW idea. I was simply stating how lucky I was at 22 y.o., with very little knowledge of how a car worked at the time, that the car didn't start and maybe do some damage to components in the engine bay. This happened over 50 years ago but I'll go over my post and will take out that statement that it was a NEW idea. Sorry I couldn't find it.

Back