"Explorer' Hood Letters | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Explorer' Hood Letters

Letters are plastic, but plastic CAN be chrome plated, (most of the "chrome" we see these days IS plastic). It was once called "vacuum metalized chrome" - the plastic somehow has a coating applied that will then accept the chrome plating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will just get my dealer to order some in and have them apply them. I'm not messing around with that stuff. I really like the wheels on the sport. When do you think we'll be able to buy those. Oh and the grill. I'm sure they'll all be after market purchase soon. LOL. Maybe I'll just go buy a Sport. The extra HP will be great

Got my hood letters from fordparts.com and it arrived last friday. It comes with a template and was easy to apply.

emblem2.png

THAT'S what I wanted to see - those black letters on a white, non Sport, Explorer. It also looks like the alignment, centering, and parallelism are perfect. Good job Malagant !
BTW, what's considered a good price at this time for those letters? At one time they were going for around $200.00 on line - rip off !

:scratch:

Hi guys. Something to ponder…

Look at several photos of the front of the Explorer ‘Sport.’ Look at the “Explorer” lettering placement. The majority of them show the lettering smack in the middle of the front hood edge, (I’m referring to the VERTICAL placement - not horizontally). Occasionally you will see those letters about 3/8” from the bottom of the hood edge. For example, check out the photos of the ’Sport” on the Levittown Ford site. The letters are down toward the bottom, certainly not in the middle vertically. I’ve seen other examples of this too.

Hey, it’s not a biggie - just something interesting. I guess it’s all about who’s slapping down that lettering template on the line!

:ttiwwp:
:scratch:

Hi guys. Something to ponder…

Look at several photos of the front of the Explorer ‘Sport.’ Look at the “Explorer” lettering placement. The majority of them show the lettering smack in the middle of the front hood edge, (I’m referring to the VERTICAL placement - not horizontally). Occasionally you will see those letters about 3/8” from the bottom of the hood edge. For example, check out the photos of the ’Sport” on the Levittown Ford site. The letters are down toward the bottom, certainly not in the middle vertically. I’ve seen other examples of this too.

Hey, it’s not a biggie - just something interesting. I guess it’s all about who’s slapping down that lettering template on the line!

When we purchased our 2013 X, I saw several dealerships selling the X-Sport lettering on ebay for around ($90). I thought it would be a nice inexpensive mod to add a little to the vehicle, not sure if the wife would agree but I'll work on that. I thought the template makes the placement and it would be centered vertically on the forward hood edge. Haven't seen any Sports in person yet so I'll have to do some research. Not trying to imitate, but I thought it would look best if centered.

Quick change of mind. I just saw a picture of a factory X-Sport, hood lettering 3/8" from the bottom looks sharp. Centered might look goofy (and I'm daffy).

photo5.jpg

Mine were shifted to the left. Notice the "LO" is not directly over the Ford emblem. I removed them.

Since I will be "self installing" my lettering, I will not have anyone else to blame. I wonder if I can claim warranty if I mess it up. They'd never notice it's not really a Sport...:O

photo5.jpg

Mine were shifted to the left. Notice the "LO" is not directly over the Ford emblem. I removed them.

Now I can see the excellent photo I could not see at work due to the firewall. The lettering definitely looks to the right a little. Judging by the fact that there are eight letters and comparing the distance between the two distinct ridges on top of the hood, it's obvious. Also the shape of the hood makes me think the lower straighter line of the hood is the better for placement. When I look at the lettering on the sellers photo on ebay, it looks curved a little as it should be to fit the hood. I'll have to do some experimenting with the template to get it right. So you have no "statement" on the hood of your X-Sport? Are you going to re-install the lettering or leave it clean shaven? Perhaps you could have claimed warranty on the defect in workmanship? :salute:

Wow. That is way off. Just checked mine and its fine.

keeping it clean shaven. Already sold my letters to another forum member.

5582751d-a735-4575-8729-8df48a423a13.jpg

I would recommend losing the license plate before the letters.....front plates look horrible. ((( I know....its a state law....etc etc etc....so pay the ticket if you get stopped.....keep the bracket inside the vehicle and if you get stopped pull it out and say it got ripped off and you're working on getting new pins.)))

hood letters

Yeah, I just got my hood letters (emblem) today and I need some help putting them on. wondering if there is anyone that can give me some pointers. I don't want to mess it up and have the letters offset. It came with a foam template but the template is in a straight line, and its not curved. So i think it will be hard to put on without messing it up. arghhhh!!!

help would be appreciated. thanks..

I have an ltd also and i installed the letters it was very easy i will pm you and call me tomorrow and i will walk you thru it.

I have an ltd also and i installed the letters it was very easy i will pm you and call me tomorrow and i will walk you thru it.

Sorry man but i live overseas so i cant call you long distance.. any pointers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a clear bra installed on my Sport and the clear bra came cut out around the letters, so I would assume it is some what standardized. No issues with the install...

Ben

Back