• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Lean

nozzleram

Reaction score
City, State
North Central Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
Wanted to say Hey! New to the board. I just bought my daughter a 92 Sport. The previous owner must have meen of considerable girth if you get my meaning, even the drivers seat is broken. The entire vehicle leans noticably to the drivers side. What are my options to level this truck? Can the cure be focused on the drivers side or do all four corners need to be addressed?

I just want to make it clear a lift for this truck is NOT in order. You've never seen my daughter drive! Nothing but stock for this kid please.

Thanks for you help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lean is pretty common on all Explorers. The gas tank is on the driver's side, combinded with the driver being on the same side causes the truck to sag on the driver's side. What I'd do is buy the Add-A-Leaf kit off of Summit Racing. When installing them I'd swap the leaf packs from side to side to further reduce the sag. Swapping from side to side only may solve the problem and would be free.

Good luck, and welcome to the site!

i have this problem as well....im most likely doing some shackels, im wondering if i can geta set with one side bigger than the other so i dont ahve to mess around with swapping leafs..

Tod's advice is on the money and will yield you the most benefit for the least amount of $.

Adding shackles will end up flattening your leafs out over time, the different lengths just sound like trouble. You never know how they'll end up settling, and may come out much worse than expected. The AAL's and swapping sides is your best bet. Will give them the same arch.

Lean? I've had 2 different explorers & neither have leaned to one side or the other.

He has a sport which means monoleaves, to do add-a-leaf he will need to get 4 door leaf packs and then the aals. maybe some new coils in the front and that should be good to go.

Jason94sport said:
Lean? I've had 2 different explorers & neither have leaned to one side or the other.

It mainly affects the mono leaf springs used on the 2 door sports.

DeRocha said:
It mainly affects the mono leaf springs used on the 2 door sports.
One of the X's I had was a Sport.

Jason94sport said:
One of the X's I had was a Sport.

So a few variables would be your weight and the weight of the gas in the tank. On your sport did you keep the fuel tank on the full side or empty?

we have 2 explorers, a 94 and a 96 both 4 door 4x4 and both have a slight lean to the left.. i used to work @ a trie store, and all the explorers we ever worked on had the same slight lean to the left

DeRocha said:
So a few variables would be your weight and the weight of the gas in the tank. On your sport did you keep the fuel tank on the full side or empty?

Full side, but I ran it to empty then filled up. Maybe my X had good springs? In any case I didn't know this & I'll keep an eye out for it. Good info.

Mine has a definite lean to the left, I thought it was just me. I'm going to fix it with a Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch.

I fixed the problem on my 01 Sport with an add-a-leaf and warrior shackles. (also added Monroe Sensatracs...but that had no effect on the lean) It worked WONDERS for me...and the truck has a slightly meaner stance now!

Good Luck!

Jordan23

2 AAL from pro comp will do you great. To level it out if desired get f-150 coil spacers

I have a 95 4x4 4dr Limited and it has a noticeable lean to the left and tail sag with the stock 5-leaf springs and air-ride system. If and when I can get my hands on a set of F150/Bronco springs, I plan to do the swap/mod found in another part of this site. Definitely the way to go without investing major bucks.

Back