Explorer Limited '99 Will not lock most times! ಡ_ಡ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Limited '99 Will not lock most times! ಡ_ಡ

MightyFrosty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 LIMITED
Hello all, I'm new here. I'm experiencing some issues with my Explorer Limited '99 not locking using the key fob, driver or passenger lock switch or even the back switch. It works some times but most times I have to fiddle the back switch 20 times before the doors actually lock. They all unlock as normal. They just won't lock most times. Not even when going from idle to moving. Is it a relay issue, cabling issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar Issue Almost!

Hi there MightyFrosty....

I have a similar issue with my 2000 Explorer XLT but it's only the drivers door that seems to have the problem. At first I thought it was the door lock actuator that was/is the problem and still think it is.

However, I was recently rear-ended and had my truck into the body shop to have the bumper replaced and since getting it back....it is a problem only occassionally now and not everytime. So I'm not sure if the JAR of the impact corrected things or if the body shop did some kind of magic or ????

In any event, I will be watching this post carefully to see if anyone has the answer to our problem.

Welcome and thanks

McMuddy

Hello all, I'm new here. I'm experiencing some issues with my Explorer Limited '99 not locking using the key fob, driver or passenger lock switch or even the back switch. It works some times but most times I have to fiddle the back switch 20 times before the doors actually lock. They all unlock as normal. They just won't lock most times. Not even when going from idle to moving. Is it a relay issue, cabling issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

You need to search for door lock issues. This is a common problem, most often a broken wire in door bundle or at a splice in rear drivers door wiring channel below trim piece at base of door opening.

Hi there MightyFrosty....

I have a similar issue with my 2000 Explorer XLT but it's only the drivers door that seems to have the problem. At first I thought it was the door lock actuator that was/is the problem and still think it is.

However, I was recently rear-ended and had my truck into the body shop to have the bumper replaced and since getting it back....it is a problem only occassionally now and not everytime. So I'm not sure if the JAR of the impact corrected things or if the body shop did some kind of magic or ????

In any event, I will be watching this post carefully to see if anyone has the answer to our problem.

Welcome and thanks

McMuddy

If it's only the driver's door that acts up, look for a broken wire in the wire bundle boot going into the door.

2 door or 4 door ??? when you hit any button, remote or otherwise, do you hear anything??? IF not, then you likely have a broken splice / wiring going to the lock relay in the cargo panel.... lot's of posts IF you hear noise, but the locks to actually work, then you likely have a "maintenance issue" in the "offending door(s)"... lots of posts... usually a spring and / or an actuator issue.

Back