• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Long Travel Kits

DBR-EDGE

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Maria, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger EDGE
THERE WILL FINALLY BE A Long-Travel Kit out for EXPLORERS!!!

We are just finishing up a brand new suspension kit for the Rangers and Explorers. This kit will work for 2wd, and 4wd. Here are some features:

Approx 4" wider per side
New Upper and Lower A-Arms
15" of Travel
2.5" Coilover Shocks
Hyd Bumpstop
New longer 4wd half-shafts

Check here for more information:

http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/products.htm

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

highly interested to see what you did with our funked up a-arm that is two piece.

and is this a front only kit... i didnt see any info on whether or not it had anything to supplement the rear. How much lift is attained from this kit? Im guessing about 2-3"?

With the truck being 4 inches wider up front what do you intend to do with the rear? Full Width 9" or offset wheels to make up for it?

We are looking at $2500-3000 for the basic 2wd Kit. This price does not include any shocks/bumpstops. The 4wd Axle-shafts would also be an optional cost.

I would figure 2-3" on the lift... We will be replacing the entire stock Upper A-arm with new longer A-Arms.

This Kit is front only. You would need fiberglass fenders for the front. For the Rear, I would recommend a set of Deaver Leaf Springs

Generally, a stock width rear end works fine with a wider track in the front. Installing a wider rear end might help with tire clearance though.

Aaron

Cool nice to see somene is finally making some long travel stuff. Sorry I won't be buying it though cause I'm gonna make my own suspension but I would love to see your product when it comes out. Right now I have an 01 sporttrac on 35's with stock suspension, but with king shocks all the way around and it rides great so I know these trucks have good potential for some "desert type" of suspension.

Hey, DBR-EDGE what are your plans for the big open spot on the 2wds where normally the front diff is on the 4wds. I made a removable "x" member on mine to tie in the rear lower arm mounts in together. It actually gives you more road feel and also it will prevent the frame from buckling on the 2wds if driven to hard. I was planning on making some more for these trucks, could possibly be an option to add to your kits. I can show you some pics if you would like.

i was thinking of people wanting to use your kit for trail running. do you think your kit could be matched in width in the rear in some way?

prerunx said:
Right now I have an 01 sporttrac on 35's with stock suspension, but with king shocks all the way around and it rides great so I know these trucks have good potential for some "desert type" of suspension.

This is a great way to start out. most people don't realize how well a stock suspension works with a correctly valved race shock. This is probably close to the set-up we use on our race truck and most other 'stock' class race cars. We only have 8" of travel on our Stock Mini race truck, but with a 3" FOX shock, it really handles well.

Aaron

prerunx said:
I made a removable "x" member on mine to tie in the rear lower arm mounts in together. I was planning on making some more for these trucks, could possibly be an option to add to your kits. I can show you some pics if you would like.

That is definately needed if you are going to beat on your truck. The rear pivots move all over the place, and they don't like to get hit by rocks!!! Send me a pic...

Aaron

nissanboy said:
i was thinking of people wanting to use your kit for trail running. do you think your kit could be matched in width in the rear in some way?

Generally, I would say, anywhere a fullsize truck could go, a widened mini truck would fit....

We are looking into a 'upgrade' kit for stock trucks. This would include high-angle half-shafts, an upper A-arm, and a bolt-on lower shock mount. I'll let you guys know.

Aaron

but the reason we have mini's is so we can go most places a ATV can go ; )

Aaron,
If you're checking interest, I'd be up for an 'upgrade' kit for my '96 4x4. Would the A-arm use a ball joint or heim joint (fish-eye bearing)? Please keep us posted.
Thanks, Dave.

Bronco638 said:
Aaron,
Would the A-arm use a ball joint or heim joint (fish-eye bearing)?
Thanks, Dave.

We are using a Ball-joint on our A-arms for a few reasons:

1) Higher angle than Uniball. (approx 80 degrees, vs. uniball 60 degrees)

2) No special pin to adapt Uniball to Spindle

3) less replacement cost

Aaron

DBR I will try to get my truck on a lift to take some pics, also I'm not to brite when it comes to computers (this is my first one and i've only had it 2 weeks, so please be patient) so I will get you some pics anyhow. Yea my truck also has 8'' of travel in the front w/a 2.5 x 8 and 12'' in the rear with some badly kinked leafs w/a 2.5 x 16 all which I valved for my truck. Whats your take on how long the stock rack will last cause mine already has play in it? (probably gonna put a box on it eventually)

Thanks Aaron.

I'm still interested in the 'upgrade' kit.

D.

prerunx said:
Whats your take on how long the stock rack will last cause mine already has play in it? (probably gonna put a box on it eventually)

We have had good luck with the Rack itself, but the inner tie-rods are junk after 50 miles. You need to put a brace between the bolts that hold the rack to the crossmember. It doesn't take much, but we broke a rack in half before we did that.

We are also working on a inner tie-rod upgrade kit...

Aaron

Cool, do you think maybe you could get me a picture of where exactly you put that brace. I'll get you that pic of my x-member soon. Thanks.

i dbe interested in a tie rud upgrade.... how exactly do you intedn to upgrade them?

also interested in the brace you mentioned. My steering is getting some slop with the 35's on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think i sorta already have this kit on my truck. Camburg and McNeil already made a kit sorta similar. DBR come check out my ride, i live in Pismo, so im pretty close to you. If its different, im willing to spend some more money, switching from McNeil suspension to yours. PM me.

Back