Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

Somebody wrote to me here asking how long the GPSM replacement appointment took. it was very quick. In and out in under 3 hours. My dealer provides exceptional service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, Jim & 916sp!
Please try deleting SYNC from your phones, then deleting your phones from SYNC; re-pair your devices. Also, reboot your phones after deleting SYNC. Let me know how it goes.
Rebecca

Rebecca-
I removed the phones from Sync, and Sync from the phones, rebooted the phones. Re-paired everything and now the phones connect OK. I have an LG VN271 Extravert, and iPhone4s. THANKS!

One problem I still have is that my LG VN271 will not download the phone book. The download aborts and the phone disconnects. Do you have any idea on how to get my LG VN271 to download the phone book? I understand the problem could be with the LG phone.

** Edit** I found my Verizon LG VN271 here, and the Auto Phonebook Download feature is shown as compatible with Sync.

Best Regards,
Jim

Rebecca-
I removed the phones from Sync, and Sync from the phones, rebooted the phones. Re-paired everything and now the phones connect OK. I have an LG VN271 Extravert, and iPhone4s. THANKS!

One problem I still have is that my LG VN271 will not download the phone book. The download aborts and the phone disconnects. Do you have any idea on how to get my LG VN271 to download the phone book? I understand the problem could be with the LG phone.

** Edit** I found my Verizon LG VN271 here, and the Auto Phonebook Download feature is shown as compatible with Sync.

Best Regards,
Jim

You're welcome, Jim! I'm glad the connections are better now. :)

You should be able to push your contacts to SYNC instead of downloading the phonebook, however, do you get an "Allow Access" message before it fails? If you are receiving it but not pressing "Accept," it'll stop trying to download your phonebook and give an error on MFT.

I looked in your phone's user guide for instructions on how to push a contact, but it doesn't have them. Try opening a contact, then the options menu, and see if there's an option that says push contact, share, or send contact info. If one of those options is there, you'll be able to send them to SYNC.

Rebecca

Rebecca - I still can't get it to work. I tried the following processes.

Sending a Contact from the Phone using Add Contact From Phone...
1)Powered everything up
2)Sync finds the phone OK
3)On Sync, I press....
>Phone
>Settings
>Manage phone book
>Add contact from phone
4) As soon as I press "add contact from phone", the phone immediately says "The Bluetooth has been disconnected" As soon as I abort the Sync Add Contact From Phone screen, the phone indicates the bluetooth connection has been restored.

Pushing Contact from Phone
1)Powered everything up
3)On the phone, I go to the address book, select a contact and press
>Send Address Card
>Send Via Bluetooth
4) The phone says "Disconnect Current Bluetooth Device, evidently not happy with Sync

Other Headaches
When I connect the phone via the USB cable to charge the phone, after a few minutes, Sync pops up with a screen which says "This USB device is not supported. Please Remove", then the phone looses the Bluetooth connect.

Any idea on what to try next?

Best Regards,
Jim

You're welcome, Jim! I'm glad the connections are better now. :)

You should be able to push your contacts to SYNC instead of downloading the phonebook, however, do you get an "Allow Access" message before it fails? If you are receiving it but not pressing "Accept," it'll stop trying to download your phonebook and give an error on MFT.

I looked in your phone's user guide for instructions on how to push a contact, but it doesn't have them. Try opening a contact, then the options menu, and see if there's an option that says push contact, share, or send contact info. If one of those options is there, you'll be able to send them to SYNC.

Rebecca

Is there a way to see if the TSB mentioned in here is valid for my 2013 built in April 2012?

Hello All,

I'm writing to update everyone on my Nav performance since having the GPSM replaced and having the GPS roadtest reprogrammed earlier this week. I am delighted to say that after a few days of driving in both rural and urban areas surrounding Toronto, I have had no problems. The system now seems to be working fine.

I want to thank Ford for solving the problem and everyone who has posted on this forum for their tips and support. I wish everyone luck in getting their system fixed as well.

JohnMD

Rebecca - I still can't get it to work. I tried the following processes.

Sending a Contact from the Phone using Add Contact From Phone...
1)Powered everything up
3)On Sync, I press....
>Phone
>Settings
>Manage phone book
>Add contact from phone
4) As soon as I press "add contact from phone", the phone immediately says "The Bluetooth has been disconnected" As soon as I abort the Sync Add Contact From Phone screen, the phone indicates the bluetooth connection has been restored.

Pushing Contact from Phone
1)Powered everything up
3)On the phone, I go to the address book, select a contact and press
>Send Address Card
>Send Via Bluetooth
4) The phone says "Disconnect Current Bluetooth Device, evidently not happy with Sync

Other Headaches
When I connect the phone via the USB cable to charge the phone, after a few minutes, Sync pops up with a screen which says "This USB device is not supported. Please Remove", then the phone looses the Bluetooth connect.

Any idea on what to try next?

Best Regards,
Jim

I'm going to send this information to my support, Jim. I'll send you a message or post on here with what they say. Just a warning, it could take a couple days to get a response.

Is there a way to see if the TSB mentioned in here is valid for my 2013 built in April 2012?

Hey, KanewtZ!

Shoot me a private message with your VIN, and I'll see if it applies to yours.

Hello All,

I'm writing to update everyone on my Nav performance since having the GPSM replaced and having the GPS roadtest reprogrammed earlier this week. I am delighted to say that after a few days of driving in both rural and urban areas surrounding Toronto, I have had no problems. The system now seems to be working fine.

I want to thank Ford for solving the problem and everyone who has posted on this forum for their tips and support. I wish everyone luck in getting their system fixed as well.

JohnMD

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Yay, John! I'm glad all is working. :D

Rebecca

I have been lurking in the shadows of this thread for a while, because I've had the exact same issue with my GPS. Got my 2013 Explorer in January, so thinking that the same fix would apply. Took my car to the dealer this past Friday, even brought them the thread and quoted the fix. After a couple of hours of waiting, dealer tells me that everything on my Explorer is up to date, Ford engineers are aware of the problem, and I would have to wait for a still undetermined fix.

This is somewhat frustrating. Anyone else still having the same issue?

I have been lurking in the shadows of this thread for a while, because I've had the exact same issue with my GPS. Got my 2013 Explorer in January, so thinking that the same fix would apply. Took my car to the dealer this past Friday, even brought them the thread and quoted the fix. After a couple of hours of waiting, dealer tells me that everything on my Explorer is up to date, Ford engineers are aware of the problem, and I would have to wait for a still undetermined fix.

As long as your car is built before 01/15/2013 the above mentioned TSB should work for you. Find another dealer as the one you are using doesn't seem to know whats going on. Good luck!

Does the TSB only apply to 2013 models? I have this issue on my vehicle. It doesn't happen all the time. I may just not notice it however because I normally just use GPS on road trips. Just a couple weeks ago it freaked out just as we were entering KC and showed us on some city streets as we were driving on the interstate. Ended up making a wrong turn and took a while to get back on track.

Exact same thing happened to me. Pretty frustrating.

I sure hope a solution comes about for those vehicles built after 1-15-13! Its pretty annoying to have my map location be off by up to a 1/4 mile after a 7 mile commute. Just glad my smartphone has GPS so I can navigate with it when I really need it.

Happened a couple times in my 2013 Sport (8/12 build). I'll have my dealer update next time I take it in. Now to figure out why my Sirius keeps losing signal :(

So my Sport went in for service today. Service tech supposedly found a bad SD card, so he put a new A4 card in, and test drove the Ex. After about 10 miles, it was tracking off course again.

After the service guy found that the GPS antenna is under the dash, and not part of the AM/FM antenna (that I replaced for a shorter one to fit in my garage) he suggested we re-flash all software on my Ex. Hopefully this will help, but I'm slightly nervous about it.

How difficult is it to get to the actual GPSM module under the dash? If it proves to be bad, I am very concerned about having to have the whole dash pulled to replace it.

So my Sport went in for service today. Service tech supposedly found a bad SD card, so he put a new A4 card in, and test drove the Ex. After about 10 miles, it was tracking off course again.

After the service guy found that the GPS antenna is under the dash, and not part of the AM/FM antenna (that I replaced for a shorter one to fit in my garage) he suggested we re-flash all software on my Ex. Hopefully this will help, but I'm slightly nervous about it.

How difficult is it to get to the actual GPSM module under the dash? If it proves to be bad, I am very concerned about having to have the whole dash pulled to replace it.
It seems this GPS is a hit and miss thing at times. When I back out of the garage, it sometimes takes a few seconds to acquire the signal and sometimes longer. Going to the local store today, it took quite a while 3-4 minutes and when it did get the signal I saw that I was driving in the river for a while and then through a subdivision that off to the right. After coming out of the store and starting the Ex up again, everything was back to normal. I suppose I should go back and apologize for driving over people's lawns and gardens.;)

Peter

It seems this GPS is a hit and miss thing at times. When I back out of the garage, it sometimes takes a few seconds to acquire the signal and sometimes longer. Going to the local store today, it took quite a while 3-4 minutes and when it did get the signal I saw that I was driving in the river for a while and then through a subdivision that off to the right. After coming out of the store and starting the Ex up again, everything was back to normal. I suppose I should go back and apologize for driving over people's lawns and gardens.;)

Peter

Yeah, I drove through the golf course on my way home tonight again. Pretty soon they are going to send the cops after me for driving my Ex on the greens!

Seriously though, I park inside overnight, and as soon as I back out, I "assume" I have GPs signal, as my car icon has the white blinky circle around it. Never have I seen the GPS w/red circle/line through it. By the time I get to the end of my driveway, I am positioned correctly on the road. 7 miles later, (straight road, not tree covered, east/west road) I am about 1/4 mile ahead of the car icon. Stays that way until I pull into work (another mile away). End of day, start the Ex up, and I am positioned correctly. Drive home, and same offage.

After the service guy found that the GPS antenna is under the dash, and not part of the AM/FM antenna ...

That's really interesting, and Kirby, I don't doubt you were told this but seems fishy that's all. I seem to remember there is a Ford Tech participating in the forum. Is this something you have seen? Rebecca, Chrystal, any chance you can confirm that the location of the GPS antenna is under the dash? I appreciate your response even if it's "I'm not at liberty to say" or "Ford doesn't want me wasting time with silly questions like this".

Just curious, I guess I could test it though. I think I'll go out and spread aluminum foil, double layered, all across my dash and see if I can get GPS reception. If I was clever I could cut a piece of plywood to fit neatly over the dash as well and then put the aluminum foil on that. The GPS waveform will pass through glass as we all know and will pass through certain plastics, but it will not pass through metal (and wood as people who park in garages know).

GPS Antenna

Although I don't know for sure but I would think that the GPS and Satellite antenna would be part of the same antenna which is on the roof and is in the base of the AM/FM antenna.
I searched the Internet and although I didn't find the exact info, I did come across a site that advertised a cover for the 2005 - 2013 Mustang GPS/Satellite antenna which seems to indicate they may be one in the same.
Under the dash would definitely not seem to be a place to mount an antenna that should have a clear path to the satellite.

Peter

I asked a tech at work who has access to a Ford repair database. He showed me an exploded view diagram of the 2013 Explorer dash, it shows the GPS antenna in the front of the dash to the right of the instrument cluster. The roof mounted antenna is for AM/FM/SiriusXM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my previous vehicle (Buick Rainier) the GPS antenna was under the front dash as well. I think you will find that's a fairly common place for them to be. Although I think its a dumb place for it.

Back