Explorer or Escape??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer or Escape???

Joanne S

Reaction score
Hello out there! We just moved to West Virginia and live at the end of a rutted dirt road. We want to be ready for winter and are shopping for a 4x4 SUV to help out. We are considering used SUVs like Ford Explorer, Ford Escape, Isuzu Rodeo, Subaru Forester, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Chevrolet Trailblazer (most around 2004). Any advice is welcome. We are starting to get confused reading all the reviews. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off remember that the Explorer is technically rear wheel drive, where the Escape is front wheel drive. My mother has 4 wheel drive Escape that is OK in moderate snow not real sure about ruts or anything off road. Just one thing to think about.

Explorer first choice if you need space. Escape or Forester if you need less. Don't know enough about the Isuzu or Cheby (wife's Tahoe is beast, though). I wouldn't buy a JGC.

Best bang for your buck is probably going to be the Explorer or Forester, IMO.

i own or have owned an explorer, rodeo and a subaru forrester. all are great vehicles. if you need the space, and plan on doing a lot more in the dirt than coming to and from your house on that dirt road, go with the explorer or rodeo, if you need a car that is smaller, gets better MPG, that is more convenient can get around in the snow on the road, but you dont need the space or ever want to go wheeling or exploring any trails, go with the subaru. i love all three of these vehicles, and would recommend any three of them. if you narrow your choices down to one of these, dont be afraid to give me a holler, i can tell you what to look out for when buyign a used one.

If you're considering a 2004 Explorer, I'd recommend trying a 2006. The redesign for 2006 really improved the ride and handling. When I traded my 2003 for a 2008, it was like going from a truck to a car.

I would suggest against a Rodeo. You couldn't pay me to touch one with a 20' pole. We had one at work. After just a few years it started having a lot of electrical problems and things stopped working like the rear wiper. The interior seemed very cheap and chinsey. The transmission went out at barely 75,000 miles. And it had really low and poor ground clearance for a 4wd vehicle which was one of my biggest complaints. I mean just designed really poorly.

you had the complete opposite experience that i had with mine. i put my rodeo through hell and it just kept coming back for more. the interior had plenty of space, and it was really comfortable to drive? the motor ran strong, i changed the tranny out at 195k miles. i am the type of person who really takes extra care for his rigs though. what year was the one you drove? i had a 95, i know the newer ones had a few complaints about them. i put 230k miles on mine and it still ran like a champ. i even sold it for 3k bucks to my girl's co-worker's kid and he is enjoying it as much as i am to this day. its the only rig ive ever owned that i loved as much as my explorer.

It was a 2001. Oh, and it started burning oil like no body's business well before 100,000 miles. The owner had the oil changed regularly, a lot of time with synthetic oil. I found it very uncomfortable to drive, the seats were angled weird.

yeah, the 01 models were completely different from the older ones. they even had a different motor and tranny. with isuzu fans, the 93-96's were the ones to have. the late 90's to 02 were not as great. two completely different rigs.

Went shopping yessterday but still no final decision. Leaning very much toward a 2003 Ford Escape (V-6). Liked the size, handling, and ground clearance. Test drove a 2004 Rodeo. Guess we will pass on that, although it was nice. Thank you all for your comments!

have you tried out a subaru yet? i also really love those cars too and they can take a beating. if you arent planning on any serious trail runs or wheeling, and you just need a nifty ride that can handle the snow and dirt roads i say its a great vehicle. it gets better mpg than a escape or explorer, is swifter to drive on the streets and highway and the insurance on it is a lot less. but if you are the "exploring" type, and you wont be commuting far in it everyday, and since this IS an explorer forum, may i suggest a sport trac!? i love my trac!

I have owner both Subaru and am a current Explorer owner. Both are good choices. For my sons 1st car I got him a 2005 Escape. He loves it and seems to be holding up pretty good.

TT

Back