Explorer outsells everybody!

Cameron

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Streamwood, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
I just got my March/April issue of Trucking Times & Sport Utility News magazine and as usual, Explorer outsells everyone. Here are the numbers (they are total units sold YTD as of the end of February): (Top 5)

Ford Explorer: 68,347
Grand Cherokee: 41,684
S-10 Blazer: 39,263
Ford Expedition: 31,683
Dodge Durango: 24,894

One more thing, Explorer Sales are up 9.7% from this time last year. There is a correlation between Explorers increased sales and this sites popularity. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't surprise me, Explorer has always been the bestseller. Problem is, I expect the Escape to detract from Explorer sales. We may not have the #1 Truck title anymore, as the 2006 projected sales indicate.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Have they announced much about the Escape?

All I've heard is that it's supposed to compete with the Rav4's, Trackers, etc.
I wonder if it will be 2- or 4- door, a 4 cylinder or V-6, hardtop/ragtop versions, etc.

I would guess it's going to cut into sales somewhat, but the Explorer (to me, anyway) seems to be the "right" size, not to big and not to small. For example, the Expedition probably has cut into Explorer sales, but still the overall numbers for Explorer are up...

I guess the best solution would be to buy one of each, use the Escape for commuting or running around town and rig the Explorer up for serious wheelin'. ;-)

------------------
92 XLT
There's a FORD in your future!

Buy em both? Damn I bet Ford wishes they had more customers like that! Dead Link Removed The Escape I saw was a 4 door, but I'm sure they'll be a 2 door also. I4's and V6's will be offered. A ragtop wouldn't surprise me either.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Question?
What is the Escape? Is it another midsize sport ute ford is making?

Thanks

------------------

shawna l.

1991 EB 4-door Xplorer
30x9.50 Pathmakers
15x7 Eagle Alloy wheels
K&N Filter
Drilled airbox
Bosch 4+ Plats
Splitfire Wires
Steering Stabilizer
Monroe Sensa-tracs
Aftermarket Keyless Entry
Rear Air Deflector
Sony 10 Disc CD player
Reece Receivr Hitch
Green/Tan Ext. Tan Leather Int.
Sunroof
Ventvisors/bug shield
Looks and Drives like a new one!!

The Escape is Ford's new mini-ute to go up against the Rav4, Forester, CRV etc.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Here's a little write I found about the Escape:

Designed for five passengers, the Escape is aimed at younger buyers and those who want the versatility of four-wheel drive without the bulk of the larger sport-utilities. It's built on an all-new unibody platform developed with Mazda Motor Corp., of which Ford owns one-third.

The Escape offers a choice of two powertrain packages: One is a transverse 2.0-liter I-4 engine and five-speed manual transmission, with an average fuel economy of 28 miles per gallon. The other is a 3.0-liter V-6 engine with a four-speed automatic, getting an average 24 miles per gallon.

Front-wheel drive is standard; four-wheel drive is a separate option, and the two can't be combined in one vehicle. The four-wheel system runs normally in full-time, relatively car-like, all-wheel drive; for off-road travel, serious snow or mud, a switch on the instrument panel can be turned to "4x4 lock" -- the more muscular equivalent of four-wheel drive in a conventional truck.

Escape's safety features include dual front air bags (side bags are optional), side-impact steel door beams, rear child-seat anchors, a rear window wiper and seatbelt pretensioners that automatically adjust belt tightness according to the severity of a crash.

Ford claims best-in-class interior space for the Escape, with 132.9 cubic feet. Of that, 34.8 cubic feet are available for cargo behind the rear seats; cargo has 68.5 cubic feet with the split rear bench seat folded flat. The cargo area also features storage bins and a net, to separate or stabilize whatever you're carrying, as well as a power plug for accessories such as air pumps, radios or lights.

An adjustable roof rack, designed to hold up to 100 pounds, is standard. So is a single-CD player in the dash, with a six-disc player or a CD/cassette combo optional.

The Escape sits on a 103.1-inch wheelbase, is 173 inches long and weighs 3,074 with base equipment.

The Escape offers a choice of two powertrain packages: One is a transverse 2.0-liter I-4 engine and five-speed manual transmission, with an average fuel economy of 28 miles per gallon. The other is a 3.0-liter V-6 engine with a four-speed automatic, getting an average 24 miles per gallon.

Front-wheel drive is standard; four-wheel drive is a separate option, and the two can't be combined in one vehicle. The four-wheel system runs normally in full-time, relatively car-like, all-wheel drive; for off-road travel, serious snow or mud, a switch on the instrument panel can be turned to "4x4 lock" -- the more muscular equivalent of four-wheel drive in a conventional truck.

Escape's safety features include dual front air bags (side bags are optional), side-impact steel door beams, rear child-seat anchors, a rear window wiper and seatbelt pretensioners that automatically adjust belt tightness according to the severity of a crash.

Ford claims best-in-class interior space for the Escape, with 132.9 cubic feet. Of that, 34.8 cubic feet are available for cargo behind the rear seats; cargo has 68.5 cubic feet with the split rear bench seat folded flat. The cargo area also features storage bins and a net, to separate or stabilize whatever you're carrying, as well as a power plug for accessories such as air pumps, radios or lights.

An adjustable roof rack, designed to hold up to 100 pounds, is standard. So is a single-CD player in the dash, with a six-disc player or a CD/cassette combo optional.

The Escape sits on a 103.1-inch wheelbase, is 173 inches long and weighs 3,074 with base equipment.

for a picture, here is a link: Dead Link Removed

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

Better pictures:http://www.familycar.com/Future/2001FordEscape.htm

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

Cool!
Rick, is Ford still planning on letting us play with one of those things at Moab?

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Mods listed in my Explorer Registry post 7/8/99
Dead Link Removed "What the heck is he doing out here in that thing?"

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 03-31-2000).]

Back