• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Paint Quality

Newexplorerowner

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer
I purchased a new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited Edition in early 2013. When I picked the vehicle up from the dealership there was a run in the paint on the hood. The dealership informed me that they would replace the hood, but without letting me know they decided to paint the hood. Now the hood has rust on it. I took the vehicle back to the dealership, but was told that my warranty had expired due to the mileage. I reminded them that I received an extended warranty due to Ford not being able to correct an issue with the moon roof track rattling because it was identified as a "characteristic" of the vehicle. They stated that Ford would not cover the paint issue because the rust did not create a hole in the metal. I have also noticed that the leather seat is starting to crack a bit. My vehicle is typically parked in a garage and is not exposed to weather. I am very disappointed in the quality of this $52K vehicle that is just over two years old. I am currently in the market for a new vehicle and was considering a new explorer, but due to the quality of Ford customer service I am having second thoughts. I was told by the dealership to keep calling Ford customer service and they would eventually take care of these issues, but I just do not have time to deal with these issues. I never had problems with Toyota or GM. Just very disappointed with Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not alone in your experience. I had a similar issue with a door. I just purchased my 3rd explorer and so far am a happy customer. I've experienced one issue so far on the 2016 and the dealership seems to be taking care of it. When I was weighing my options it basically came down to paying more for another brand and getting great customer service or buying another explorer for less money which may or may not have any issues and getting who knows what for customer service... I took the chance with the explorer, however this will be Fords last chance to keep me. I love the explorer but if they drop the ball this time on anything I will never be back. If I were you I would try to find time and contact ford customer service, at least put all the effort you can to get it fixed and then at the end of the day they still decide not to fix it, well then I would say they made your decision to purchase another ford for you.

I purchased a new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited Edition in early 2013. When I picked the vehicle up from the dealership there was a run in the paint on the hood. The dealership informed me that they would replace the hood, but without letting me know they decided to paint the hood. Now the hood has rust on it. I took the vehicle back to the dealership, but was told that my warranty had expired due to the mileage. I reminded them that I received an extended warranty due to Ford not being able to correct an issue with the moon roof track rattling because it was identified as a "characteristic" of the vehicle. They stated that Ford would not cover the paint issue because the rust did not create a hole in the metal. I have also noticed that the leather seat is starting to crack a bit. My vehicle is typically parked in a garage and is not exposed to weather. I am very disappointed in the quality of this $52K vehicle that is just over two years old. I am currently in the market for a new vehicle and was considering a new explorer, but due to the quality of Ford customer service I am having second thoughts. I was told by the dealership to keep calling Ford customer service and they would eventually take care of these issues, but I just do not have time to deal with these issues. I never had problems with Toyota or GM. Just very disappointed with Ford.

Hood is aluminum..... Can't be rust.

Before giving up I would engage the CS reps on here and allow them to get your local Regional Rep to liaise with the dealership, your claims are not outrageous and should be resolved. Often times the dealer is the problem not Ford.

When I talk to my service rep at the dealership I always get the discussion in an email afterwards so I have some evidence.

What you have described is very deceitful business practice.

The PremiumCare ESP document I looked at says paint and rust are not covered. In your case it isn't rust it's corrosion. I'm guessing the reason the hood was repainted was due to Ford denying a replacement. In any case, there are plaenty of hoods that have/had the corrosion issue. There is a 19 page thread on it. You are not alone by any means.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326943&highlight=hood+paint

Have you contacted the FordService rep on this forum?

Peter

Good point. There are bubbles across the front and the dealership said rust was underneath, so not real sure.

AS noted - it's not rust. Aluminum doesn't rust.

There are other threads dealing with corrosion. In this case, the question is likely "what caused it?". Was it contact damage from rocks or other debris striking the hood? In that case, it's not covered.

I just completed a full detail on my White Diamond Tricoat 2016 EX Sport. I did notice several issues with the paint on the passenger side front fender. There are probably 5-10pinhole sized "pits" in the paint that look like solvent pop. I've never seen this before in a factory paint job. I'd have to say this is pretty disappointing, especially when your paying a premium for a metallic paint color. If I wasn't leasing this car, I'd be demanding a re-spray.

I just completed a full detail on my White Diamond Tricoat 2016 EX Sport. I did notice several issues with the paint on the passenger side front fender. There are probably 5-10pinhole sized "pits" in the paint that look like solvent pop. I've never seen this before in a factory paint job. I'd have to say this is pretty disappointing, especially when your paying a premium for a metallic paint color. If I wasn't leasing this car, I'd be demanding a re-spray.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I think I'd bring it to the dealer's attention anyway, just for the record.

Peter

I have the same issue on the passenger door of my 2016 (but only two spots). the dealership did get ford to agree to repaint it, but I am leasing it, so don't care and will just turn it in after two years. But doubtful it will be a ford product replacing it.

'16 Explorer Sport Issues

Hi everyone. I purchased a factory ordered '16 Ford Explorer Sport Ecoboost White Platinum.

After receiving the car from Bozard in St Augustine, I did not initially notice anything wrong with the vehicle. We took it for a test drive and still no issues notice. I received my car on 9/2/15. Since I have put 2100 miles on it and I got it professionally waxed 2 weeks ago and the detailer pointed out some paint issues with the car.

On the hood, there's a black dot under the clear coat with no white paint covering it and there's a bubble with pinhole in another spot on the hood.
suyp3c.jpg

11ugbjp.jpg

At every quarter panel seam, there's a blue streak of some "under" layer that isn't painted white. Some of the areas in the seam it is blue then fades to white and then goes back to blue as if that spot was missed during the painting portion of the build. The front quarter panel has some left over plastic that wasn't removed upon delivery. Also there appears to be knife cuts in the area too...maybe from the detailer at the dealership trying to remove the plastic...see pic.
k2hdts.jpg

290sck7.jpg

s2vdox.jpg

At the lift gate weld spots on the top, there seems to be some "overspray" of weld material or some sealant that got onto the body of the car.
2z551qf.jpg

351tv7t.jpg

I also have a terrible rattle coming from the right rear passenger B pillar or window or door. Haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. Here is a link to an audio recording of this rattle.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SUJwtN2kWm

10/7/15 - Appointment with Bozard Service Dept. Service advisor stated that he has to send each paint issue separately to Ford to have them approved. Waited to test drive to duplicate the rattling. Service advisor said that it is 100% an issue with the door/b-pillar or somewhere in that area. I told them I'll have it repaired when they repair the paint. Service advisor stated that the paint issues may take several weeks before anything is done from Ford. Then the Service manager came out to inspect the paint issues. He said that the blue under layer is part of the plastic molding and will probably be denied to be repainted. He said this until I pointed out that at every quarter panel seam, the paint runs white then fades to blue in some areas and then runs back as white and then blue again. I told him if it was part of the plastic seam, then why are some areas of the seam painted white. He agreed after that and said it should be warrantable but Ford has to approve of it. He wanted the service advisor to make sure he wrote that the paint in the seams are "thin" and that the blue under layer is showing. He also stated that the paint issues on the Hood will most likely be approved by Ford. Service manager told advisor to take me out to the lot to find '16 Explorers to see if they have common painting at the seams. We found 6 different '16 Explorers, some were XLTs and some were Limited, I think there was one Sport. We checked the white ones, they have the same blue layer at the seams. Even the red and silver cars did. Every Explorer had this issue. After verifying this, he told me we will be in touch so I can send some pictures for him to send to Ford.

Now on with the waiting game. I have heard that Ford Reps patrol some of these forums. I'm not happy with the paint or that rattle. I already love this Explorer but these issues are bugging me everyday and I want Ford to be aware of them. If a Ford Rep can PM me on here so that I can discuss the issues in further detail would be greatly appreciated. For an over $50k MSRP equipped Explorer Sport, these paint issues should not be so common.

It's almost like your vehicle was damaged in freight and someone made an attempt at repair.
We had the same issue with a similar vehicle on our local lot but it was the door only and it needed to be repaired with zero miles on it. The local dealer did a nice job on the repair but we decided to get another one since nobody knew how or what had happened.

And kudos to our salesman for catching it, we actually missed it on our initial review and probably wouldnt have noticed until we purchased it and gave it a good cleaning.

My 2016 only has a few spots where particulate got on prior to base or clear. It's not bad enough for me to even want to bust out the wetsand paper and rotary. Seems pretty good, orange peel isn't too terrible either.

Unacceptable...is there a reason why power coating is not a standard in 2015?

Unacceptable...is there a reason why power coating is not a standard in 2015?

What? How would you touch it up? Plenty of reasons why it's not standard on the body of a vehicle.

What? How would you touch it up? Plenty of reasons why it's not standard on the body of a vehicle.

Touch up wouldn't be any different than paint that is sprayed on!
Care to list some of the reasons on why it is not or shouldn't be a standard process?

Touch up wouldn't be any different than paint that is sprayed on!
Care to list some of the reasons on why it is not or shouldn't be a standard process?

An answer from Seattle Powder Coat:

Question: Can you powder coat a car body?

Answer: Yes, but it is pretty rare. Because powder coat cures in a high temperature oven and non-metals are typically not coated, car bodies need to be stripped of all non-metal components. Any existing coatings also need to be stripped, including the removal of any lead or plastic (Bondo) fillers. It is a rare craftsman who can smooth sheet metal well enough for top coating without lead or plastic fillers. Finally, because powder coat is not easily spot-repaired/touched up, door dings and fender benders in powder coated car bodies usually have to be repaired with wet paint and it may be difficult to blend the finishes to completely hide the repair.

An answer from Seattle Powder Coat:

Question: Can you powder coat a car body?

Answer: Yes, but it is pretty rare. Because powder coat cures in a high temperature oven and non-metals are typically not coated, car bodies need to be stripped of all non-metal components. Any existing coatings also need to be stripped, including the removal of any lead or plastic (Bondo) fillers. It is a rare craftsman who can smooth sheet metal well enough for top coating without lead or plastic fillers. Finally, because powder coat is not easily spot-repaired/touched up, door dings and fender benders in powder coated car bodies usually have to be repaired with wet paint and it may be difficult to blend the finishes to completely hide the repair.

Not sure on the rarity, but BMW has been applying top coat on their 3 series by powder coating.
Lots of money was invested into the facility, including R&D to get it "down pat"; but it is a "painting" process that is being used.

Just picked up my 2017 explorer and noticed that there is a lot of paint missing on the insides of the doors. It's a shadow black paint and there is a lot of silver or Metallic looking metal. The panels and back of hinges. You cant see it unless door open but looks unfinished with paint and worried about rust. The wife has a white escape and everything is white, all painted. Is this normal or if not what can I do about it as it does not even look like a full coat of black paint.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95, post: 3567056, member: 76181"]Just picked up my 2017 explorer and noticed that there is a lot of paint missing on the insides of the doors. It's a shadow black paint and there is a lot of silver or Metallic looking metal. The panels and back of hinges. You cant see it unless door open but looks unfinished with paint and worried about rust. The wife has a white escape and everything is white, all painted. Is this normal or if not what can I do about it as it does not even look like a full coat of black paint.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I have a 2016 Sport in Magnetic. Same issue as you. Looks great from the outside till you open the door. Looks so unfinished.

Back