Explorer Paint Quality | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Paint Quality

File a warranty claim with your dealer body shop!

I have had (different) paint issues with mine as well and I'm banging my head trying to get Michigan to do the right thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up my 2017 explorer and noticed that there is a lot of paint missing on the insides of the doors. It's a shadow black paint and there is a lot of silver or Metallic looking metal. The panels and back of hinges. You cant see it unless door open but looks unfinished with paint and worried about rust. The wife has a white escape and everything is white, all painted. Is this normal or if not what can I do about it as it does not even look like a full coat of black paint.

Thanks
I just took a look at all of my doors/jams/etc and, while it's not the same 'depth' of black that the body has, every inch is definitely black and no 'metallic' look showing through. As thefranchise713 said I'd definitely get in touch with my dealer's body shop and let them take a look at it.

While mine is fully painted black, my issue are paint scratches from the weather seal and dirt being trapped in between causing the paint to rub off; from simply opening and closing the doors.

Mine just got authorized for a repaint.

Of the entire vehicle. Two weeks down. Bartender, a round of drinks for the room.

Nah, nothing to do with that... chemical pops in the paint. Whole car affected.

On the upside, at least Enterprise got me a decent rental... 17 Fusion Titanium FWD 2.0L. I can deal with this. :D

Just picked up my 2017 explorer and noticed that there is a lot of paint missing on the insides of the doors. It's a shadow black paint and there is a lot of silver or Metallic looking metal. The panels and back of hinges. You cant see it unless door open but looks unfinished with paint and worried about rust. The wife has a white escape and everything is white, all painted. Is this normal or if not what can I do about it as it does not even look like a full coat of black paint.

Thanks

While mine is fully painted black, my issue are paint scratches from the weather seal and dirt being trapped in between causing the paint to rub off; from simply opening and closing the doors.

Hey guys,

Please reach out to my colleagues at Ford Canada here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?members/fordserviceca.233337/ They'll need your names, phone numbers, VINs, odometer readings, and servicing dealers.

I have a 2016 Sport in Magnetic. Same issue as you. Looks great from the outside till you open the door. Looks so unfinished.

Hi xlt03,

I recommend swinging by your dealer for them to take a look. Please send a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealer; I'll see how I can help get your paint fixed.

Mine just got authorized for a repaint.

Of the entire vehicle. Two weeks down. Bartender, a round of drinks for the room.

:chug:, thefranchise713! Glad to see your Explorer is getting taken care of. If you need me, feel free to send a PM over as well.

Rachel

I have an appointment next week for a water leak. Water drips from bottom on A pillar and water drips to floor mats and carpet. Entry point seems to be front top of windshield and A pillar junction. Will point out the paint issue at same time.

Hi all. Just purchased a 2017 shadow black Explorer Sport and a few days after owning the vehicle I noticed paint bubbles on the bottom of the rear drivers side door. Thought this was the appropriate thread for this as it deals with paint quality. Dealer says they will fix when body shop at new dealership opens. Anyone else notice an issue like this on their factory paint job?

Hi all. Just purchased a 2017 shadow black Explorer Sport and a few days after owning the vehicle I noticed paint bubbles on the bottom of the rear drivers side door. Thought this was the appropriate thread for this as it deals with paint quality. Dealer says they will fix when body shop at new dealership opens. Anyone else notice an issue like this on their factory paint job?

I've noticed quite a bit of paint defects (pimple/dimple, inusufficient layers on the inside door sills, excess on the rear edge of the roof spoiler etc...) and have decided to live with it, as I have no faith in Ford to proplery match and blend.

So far, I have caught via dashcam, Ford service department not performing anything other than an oil change and tire depth measurement; yet checks off a whole bunch of items on the vehicle report list; which adds extra labor to an oil change service.

I still love my EX, but can't say too much else about Ford as a whole.

I've noticed quite a bit of paint defects (pimple/dimple, inusufficient layers on the inside door sills, excess on the rear edge of the roof spoiler etc...) and have decided to live with it, as I have no faith in Ford to proplery match and blend.

So far, I have caught via dashcam, Ford service department not performing anything other than an oil change and tire depth measurement; yet checks off a whole bunch of items on the vehicle report list; which adds extra labor to an oil change service.

The matching and blending scares me too but I figured I'd tell them when it's only a few days old because it looks like after a winter with road salt and such that if the paint does chip off then it becomes my problem. Idk. I guess when you buy something new you expect it to be perfect. Perhaps there isn't such a thing seeing as how others are having over/underspray, runs, etc. issues with their paint. As far as catching that kind of stuff on a dash cam, that's ridiculous. The main reason I'm sure a lot of people here take their cars to the dealer is because they trust them over a quick change place. I hope you were able to call them on it or at the very least find a place you trust with your vehicles.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yup, right thread.

Peter

Please tell me you showed the video to the Dealership Service Manager and told him you were sending it to Ford of Canada if they didnt act on it?

Ford of Canada will take action if they see evidence of that type of service.

Thats a very big deal to Ford of Canada

For those who have paint defects: paint runs, bubbles, specs in the paint... warranty that. Ford will pay the claim, although it may take more than one trip.

I just got my whole--yes, whole Explorer--repainted for some silly bubbles (actually, chemical pops) in the paint. The dealership body shop did an absolutely perfect job.

Never should have happened, but I can't argue about the fact that it got fixed.

BTW, if you catch something on dashcam you don't like--please talk to the dealership first before Ford Canada/Ford US... it's hell being the dealer network as it is, give the dealer a chance to get it right before escalating.

Please tell me you showed the video to the Dealership Service Manager and told him you were sending it to Ford of Canada if they didnt act on it?

Ford of Canada will take action if they see evidence of that type of service.

Thats a very big deal to Ford of Canada

I couldn't get in touch with the Service Manager, but left a message with my feedback (part of their customer service follow up) and just simply stated to get in touch with me as I have "reason" to believe that I paid for services that were not performed.

For those who have paint defects: paint runs, bubbles, specs in the paint... warranty that. Ford will pay the claim, although it may take more than one trip.

I just got my whole--yes, whole Explorer--repainted for some silly bubbles (actually, chemical pops) in the paint. The dealership body shop did an absolutely perfect job.

Never should have happened, but I can't argue about the fact that it got fixed.

BTW, if you catch something on dashcam you don't like--please talk to the dealership first before Ford Canada/Ford US... it's hell being the dealer network as it is, give the dealer a chance to get it right before escalating.

A whole paint job?
That's unbelievable, considering they barely helped for hood paint defects that affected many on this forum.
I'm definitely giving the dealership a chance to rectify, but will not go back (to any Ford dealership) unless it's warranty related.
I will be getting my oil changes and other maintenance work performed at a trusted independent garage.

Seems that the paint problems are persistent. Be happy you found the problems within the warranty time period. Having bought a lease return in December the paint bubbles on the hood were not noticed untill I did a hand washing about 60 days past my warranty period. When first found they were just small bubbles. 1/8- 1/4 inch. That was in May this year. Today they are upwards of a inch and growing/multiplying quickly. Dealers body shop checked with Ford and since the 60 days +36 months service date was when I reported it I was S.O.L. Even though obviously the corrosion started within the warranty period. Dealers Body shop manager after 5 visits gave me the smile as he says there is nothing we can do for you. Totally not surprised as on this forum and in carcomplants.com there are many others who have been let down by this issue. The Hood is only one problem. The doors all have metal showing on the bottom edges which is a obvious MFG defect. I have seen the paint robots and they seem to be efficient but as is obvious since the human eye is not part of the painting process the defects are passed to the consumer. Heck of a way to run a company. My wife is not disappointed. She's pissed. At Ford. I have enough invested in this I will correct the Manufacturing Defects myself.
I will enjoy it a year or so more and peddle it. My last ford because of the way the vehicle paint lasts. My last trip to this dealership. i will have service done some place else.

Seems that the paint problems are persistent. Be happy you found the problems within the warranty time period. Having bought a lease return in December the paint bubbles on the hood were not noticed untill I did a hand washing about 60 days past my warranty period. When first found they were just small bubbles. 1/8- 1/4 inch. That was in May this year. Today they are upwards of a inch and growing/multiplying quickly. Dealers body shop checked with Ford and since the 60 days +36 months service date was when I reported it I was S.O.L. Even though obviously the corrosion started within the warranty period. Dealers Body shop manager after 5 visits gave me the smile as he says there is nothing we can do for you. Totally not surprised as on this forum and in carcomplants.com there are many others who have been let down by this issue. The Hood is only one problem. The doors all have metal showing on the bottom edges which is a obvious MFG defect. I have seen the paint robots and they seem to be efficient but as is obvious since the human eye is not part of the painting process the defects are passed to the consumer. Heck of a way to run a company. My wife is not disappointed. She's pissed. At Ford. I have enough invested in this I will correct the Manufacturing Defects myself.
I will enjoy it a year or so more and peddle it. My last ford because of the way the vehicle paint lasts. My last trip to this dealership. i will have service done some place else.

Yes catching it immediately is what I am glad happened because like you said when you hand wash your vehicles you have a chance to see every thing up close. Like you're currently experiencing with the paint bubbles is what I'm hoping to prevent because there is no way that paint will last in the current condition for more than a few years at the very best. I've seen worse factory paint jobs though but the exposed metal on the bottom of the doors and such is totally unacceptable. I'm honestly surprised at some of the pics members have posted of their new vehicles and the paint issues they have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a 2017 Shadow black XLT got it home and found it had white primer showing in all door frames the rear lift gate and under the hood. Took it back to the dealer and they found me another 2017 Shadow black XLT just like the first so I swapped them for it got it home and the second one has primer showing in all the door frames and on the inside of the front drivers side door (so I always see it getting in). After calling and visiting the dealership numerous times they are going to take all the doors off and fix/finish the paint job. Needless to say this is quickly becoming my last ford product. The dealer has worked really hard for me, I actually feel sorry they have to be the middle man in this. I would like to meet the person who was working Quality Control at the Chicago Plant in the October 2016 time frame. I have lots of pictures from both vehicles and if I can find the time will post them for other folks to see. I hope people check their own cars or check new cars before purchasing them this seems like it is a wide spread problem.

Back