• Register Today It's free!

Explorer parts on bronco II?

wolffpax

Reaction score
City, State
Northern N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 BII & 93 EB Explorer
First post on this site. I have an 88 Bronco II that I want to build up eventually. However, like most of us $$$ is a big issue. I want to eventually swap the axles, drivetrain, and some interior parts from an explorer.
Now my leafs and coils have 250,000 miles on them and my trucks rear is starting to sag a little. I went to the yard and found a 94 explorer with the coils and leafs still in them. Will the front coils fit the Bronco II Dana 28 axle? If I get the rear leafs and coils would it add some lift?
Sorry if it about a Bronco II I thought that if it is explorer related I might get some feedback from you guys.
Thank you for your time!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know much about the Bronco II but the person to ask on this forum is Fortune410. He has swapped in a lot of Explorer parts in his Bronco II. He can tell you exactly what fits. Try to PM him. Welcome to the site.

I concur 410fortune is the man around here when it comes to BroncoII's. here's his profile page 410fortune

if you're going to swap the springs out, swap the axles as well, the D35 is much stonger than the D28, and I think it's a direct bolt in.
Yeah, 410 has done a lot to his B2, and from what Igather, it works very well

Oppps, I got the 410 and the Fortune backwards. Sorry 410Fortune.

Coil springs will swap as will the leafs.

Also, you should grab the D35 TTB out of the Explorer as it is stronger than the D28 you have now.

Thank you so much for the replies and welcome. Cory L? Are you the Cory L that has the winter camo bronco 2?
I will try to PM 410 fortune. Thanks again!!

Originally posted by wolffpax
Thank you so much for the replies and welcome. Cory L? Are you the Cory L that has the winter camo bronco 2?
I will try to PM 410 fortune. Thanks again!!

That used to by my BII. I sold it almost two years ago and it is currently owned by Splashman on the board.

I loved that B2! But the Exlporer you got now is WICKED!!!

Originally posted by CoryL
That used to by my BII. I sold it almost two years ago and it is currently owned by Splashman on the board.

You mean this? It has gone through some changes (owners too) since CoryL started it, but it would have never made it this far if not for him... thats why the color is not changeing... kind of a living tribute.;)

Attachments

• bii (2).jpg
    bii (2).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 612

That's a sweet rig, reminds me of the "Little Mule" from the movie Romancing the Stone...
although little mule was a full-size Bronc.

That's the one. What a great setup. I tried to PM 410 and got no response. I will wait it out I guess. So CoryL, do you think I should get the coils and leafs from the junkyard or should I get a lift? I would love to some day make my truck look somewhat like 410.
Future mods for this truck are follows: Explorer front and rear axles, 4.0 and tranny, dash, seats and center console.
Any other mods from an Explorer I should put in my to do list?

Is 410 fortune still on this board? I just wanted a little guidance before I start making my mix-breed truck.
Thanks for all the info guys.

Originally posted by wolffpax
Is 410 fortune still on this board? I just wanted a little guidance before I start making my mix-breed truck.
Thanks for all the info guys.

Yeah, he's in the middle of pulling his A4LD.

You can fire away your questions about the BII to either him or I. I've got an 87 with a 4.0L, a4ld, 1354 es, 8.8 disc rear, d35 front, etc, etc, etc... Jamie's truck was the twin sister of mine before we did the cut and turn on his ttb beams.

Brett

you'll want to swap out the rear axles too. The 8.8 out of the Explorer can handle more abuse than the 7.5. But to do that, you will need to relocate the leaf perches to the top of the axle, and weld on some shock mounts.

Thank you guys. Like all of us, Money is a very big issue. So I have to do it all part by part. I want to make my truck resemble 410s (Haven't seen bretts)
Now I need a plan of attack that is part by part.
I would love to do all the mods myself, however, I don't have any welding skills at all. So I would have to send the rear 8.8 axle somewhere else.
Also I read one of 410s post about a modified A4LD. What exactly is moded on the tranny?
Sorry guys. I want a truck that is fully functionable in every way. The thing I love most about the Bronco II is the manuverability. Will I loose any with the Dana 35 setup?
Thanks again!

I say pull the 4.0L, maybe the tranny, and the 8.8" from the explorer but if you really want to go full functional go solid front axle up front.
You could get a Dana 30 from a Jeep or 66-72 Bronco or even better a Dana 44 from a 73-77 bronco (if you can find one).
-James

Solid axle up front on a BII is fairly simple to do, but not always cheap, especially when you get into shortening the axle, welding new mounts, rebuilding the R&P, U joints, wheel bearings, etc etc...

The cheapest easiest way to breathe new life into that BII is to purchase the entire donor vehicle. a 93-94 4.0L Explorer thats rolled with as low miles as you can find is the way to go...

You can swap everything from the Ex into the BII with most of it bolting right up, of course be prepared for long hours and lots of kicking yourself...

It took me 7 years to piece my truck together, 5 of those I spent diddlying around with stuff I should have just thrown away, like the 2.9L, cheap lift kits, etc...

But I like to take the long road with my truck apparently :) Now she is really coming together, here is my setup:

-1988 BII Eddie Bauer 248K miles on Chasis

front suspension:
-Dana 35 TTB, custom built with 3" cut and turn, widened track width
6" Skyjacker coils
Skyjacker extended radius arms
4.10 R&P
ARB locker
Custom axle shaft
Warn hubs
James Duff axle pivot brackets
2" drop pitman arm
4" brake lines
Rancho 9000
custom sway bar with disco's

Rear:
1997 31 spline 8.8 disc brake, 4.10 R&P, factory L/s, rebuilt
converted to spring over, welded on spring pads for BII
4" Skyjacker leafs
2" tappered iron block
Rancho 9000

Custom driveshafts front and rear

Drivetrain:
1993 OHV 4.0L:
3 core super cooling aluminum radiator
11 blade super cooling Ford fan and clutch
A/C removed
180 thermo
KKM filter
Granatelli 70mm MAS
95 Ranger intake tube
BBK 66mm TB
JBA headers
Custom Y pipe
2.5" single exhaust with high flow cat, Flow Pro muffler
Taylor Spiro wires
Bosch PLat +4
CUSTOM 4.0L wiring harness

1993 A4LD auto (truck originally a 5 speed)
Custom rebuild, custom torque converter, modified valve body
BW 1354 touch drive T case
1984 BII 2wd floor shifter and bell crank assembly

Other:
1997 Eddie Bauer power leather buckets
1990 Eddie Bauer BII door panels, headliner, interior trim to match mocha seats
Custom dash and interior
AutoFAB front fenders
James Duff prerunner receiver bumpers front and rear
Superior chrome Startech 15x7.5" rims
Remington 33x12.5 Mud Brute's
Hella H4 headlights
PIAA 1500 driving lights
KC 5x7 on Yakima rack

Coming soon:
removable side windows
Custom rear hatch with removeable glass, re-enforced tire carrier
Roll bar/cage
Rocker protection
new/ custom paint (again)
Sunroof
Custom shock hoop and coil bucket
PS cooler
New OHV engine with lots of internal power adders
Possibly 3 speed C4 trans and eventually 35" tires

Here's some recent pics from Moab, oh and who says you need a solid axle to go off road? My TTB will make it, even with just 3wd ;)

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks 410 for the reply. That truck of your keeps getting better everytime I see it. I know I should throw away the entire BII driveline. It's just that I have to do it part by part. I don't have the room in my driveway(no garage)Do you think I should focus on the engine tranny or the axles first? You are the expert and any advise would be great.
Thanks again!

Back