explorer parts retro fit to BII???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer parts retro fit to BII????

92 green sport

Reaction score
City, State
long island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
I have done quite a bit of searching on this but have not found detailed info yet. Here's the deal. I have the opertunity to p/u a 84 BII for cheap. It has been converted to the 2.9 and Fuel injected. It does aneed a little body work but I can not pass it up. Also my friend has a 93 explorer with a bad tranny that he is going to part out / scrap. He said I can take whatever I want from it for free so what I need to know is:

What parts, interior and exterior, will bolt directly to the BII?

Will the front and rear axles swap over easily?

I know the rear leafs are a direct bolt in but are the front coils?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the 4.0L V6, take the entire front dana 35 TTB suspension, take the rear 8.8 axkle and convert it to spring over, you can use the explorer leaf springs.
The seats, dash, carpet, seat belts, etc will all work in a bii with some work, converting from the 84-88 style dash to the 89-94 style is a bit of work but it has been done.

They are very very very similar trucks.
I ran a 93 Explorer drivetrain in my BII for years, it is a *****in combination.
You can use the BII transmission with the 4.0L and the BW1354 Explorer transfer case, the OHV 4.0L will basically bolt in place of the 2.9L you just have to add the MAS computer and DIS ignition.

both front and rear axles with bolt in? They aren't wider than the bII's?

Rear just needs new spring pads and shock mounts welded on. Grab the front drive shaft off the explorer and use it. For the rear you might need to have the explorer one shortened if the BII uses the smaller ujoint yoke. Jamie can tell you for sure.

If you use the explorer dana 35 ttb front end and the explorer 1354 t case instead of the BII 13250 t case the front and rear driveshafts will work, but they should both be checked/modified for length

the dana 35 is not wider then the dana 28 front end.
the 8.8 rear may be a few inches wider then the bII 7.5 rear end, but thats a good thing.

I have had the front and rear axles from an explorer under my BII for many years now. they are overkill for the most part, especially the rear axle.

That is kind of what I was thinking too. Especially since I don't go serious off roading. I live in LI, NY. Not much off roading except for some fishing trails which is what I use my trucks for. I really can't justify all the work required to swap the axles. Plus I would be adding a little extra weight (even though it is where it would be helpful)
I am proboble going to just take the whole gut from the explorer and swap it over. I was thinking of chopping the top off. Any comments on that?

swap the axles IMO the front bolts in, the rear is pretty simple to do.
the improvement in braking alone is worth it, as is the stronger parts, better wheel bearings, and reliability.
and yes sawzall that top off

That is kind of what I was thinking too. Especially since I don't go serious off roading. I live in LI, NY. Not much off roading except for some fishing trails which is what I use my trucks for. I really can't justify all the work required to swap the axles. Plus I would be adding a little extra weight (even though it is where it would be helpful)
I am proboble going to just take the whole gut from the explorer and swap it over. I was thinking of chopping the top off. Any comments on that?

There's not many 84 B11's with tops anymore. Might just want to keep it that way. On second thought chop it and while youre at it, put those Ex axels in there. That's what I did along with one or two other things.

Just a few more weeks of hunting season and I'll be back at mine.

The top is definately coming off mostly for the reason that it will make the truck much less top heavy. The axles I'm thinking about but it's getting cold and I already have a 92 sport with a 2" lift, 31's and 3:73's. We'll see. I have to do the interior first.

410, I checked out the build up of your truck. I have to say that it is very nice. You have some really nice touches. Expecially the heated seats. Interior is super clean too. ;)

Thanks hombre, shes a WIP thats for sure
the interior is currently 80% REMOVED from the truck, getting prepped to build a full cage :)

if I chopped it (photo chop for now)
toplessweb.jpg

I dont think I am going to, instead I am going to make soft windows and a custom two piece tailgate, after the cage

Is there a site for BII's that would have all of the info one could want about stock and modifications?

There are BII, Ranger and Explorer sites, all 3 trucks are based on Rangers, especially our BII so basically anything that applies to them applies to us.
Yes there are sites out there, I find this forum the best one for most questions
What do you want to see is the question

I am really looking for the exact how to's for:
front D35 swap
8.8 swap
what parts, from ranger's/explorer's are direct bolt ins

its covered on this forum :)

the dana 35 TTB is a direct bolt in
you will have to bleed the brakes and your gear ratio must match

The rear axle must be converted to spring over to use in a BII (weld on spring pads, adjust pinion angle), after that its a bolt in, you have to bleed the brakes and you will need to modify the explorer driveshaft for length. If you get a 8.8 Ranger rear axle it will bolt in
A disc brake rear axle will require a new brake master cyl for a 95+ explorer usually

Again my BII has parts from 84-2002 ranger, Explorers, and BII's on it.
There are ALOT of parts you can use and this question comes up alot!
Have you tried a search?
If you read this thread right here you will see that exact topic is what we have been discussing

I searched but I will search again. Thanks.
How do you adjust pinion angle with leaf springs?

by welding the perches onto the axle tube in the correct location using an angle finder on the driveshaft.
There's more to it then that but thats the basics.
You can also use degree correction shims between the spring and axle perch to help adjust for more lift, etc

I have tappered lift blocks, they work really well too.
My perches were welded on for 3" of lift, then I went to 6" so the tappered blocks helped get me closer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back