Explorer Police Interceptor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Police Interceptor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....Ford compared two AWDs to two RWDs - what kind of test is that? GM makes a 4x4 Police Tahoe too, but I guess they forgot about that little detail.

Thanks for sharing though.

....Ford compared two AWDs to two RWDs - what kind of test is that? GM makes a 4x4 Police Tahoe too, but I guess they forgot about that little detail.

Thanks for sharing though.

The PPV Tahoe is a 2WD Pursuit Rated SUV and thats the apple to apples test.

The 4X4 Tahoe for Police is NOT pursuit rated and only a Special Duty Package

Both the Ford Interceptor Sedan and Utility are pursuit rated.

...and I believe some people had an absolute coniption about the new Explorer being a police vehicle, because it couldn't compete against a RWD.

If it's an AWD rated police vehicle, so be it- why should Ford "dumb down" the vehicles to compete? It's both GM and Dodge's fault for not keeping up.

What is so wrong about admitting that maybe- just maybe- it actually performs better than one might have thought?

...and I believe some people had an absolute coniption about the new Explorer being a police vehicle, because it couldn't compete against a RWD.

If it's an AWD rated police vehicle, so be it- why should Ford "dumb down" the vehicles to compete? It's both GM and Dodge's fault for not keeping up.

What is so wrong about admitting that maybe- just maybe- it actually performs better than one might have thought?

Your bang on.

It does perform better, I know, I have driven both on a track and will take the Interceptor Utility every time.

The Tahoe is a great Police SUV but legacy technology and design have caught up and the buyers all know it.

Especially when Law Makers see gas at $4/G and cops driving big SUV's.

My bet is the Interceptor Utility will sell like the retail Explorer is now.

I'm not saying they should dumb the test down, but they don't need to act like they're gods because they thought of making an AWD pursuit vehicle. Of course the RWD Tahoe doesn't perform well in stuff like that - it's practically a bus!
I don't like it when companies point out the obvious deficiencies of other vehicles just to gloat about their vehicles. I'm not saying the new Interceptors are bad - I'm simply saying any doofus could of predicted the results of that test.

There is a reason why there is this sign:

gn%252C%2BDANGER%2Bdo%2Bnot%2Bdrink%2Bthis%2Bwater.jpg

There is also a reason why they publish those tests. Some people, no matter how obvious the outcome might look, would never accept it unless they see it.

Obvious? Yes. Doofuses? GM and Chrysler for being behind the 8 ball on product development.

I can't believe they didn't put the V6 Ecoboost in it. I would think a vehicle that may engage in high speed pursuits would warrant something more than the run of the mill V6.
Should be good news for the guys looking to outrun the cops that are saddled with this dog. :thumbsup:

I would think a vehicle that may engage in high speed pursuits would warrant something more than the run of the mill V6. Should be good news for the guys looking to outrun the cops that are saddled with this dog. :thumbsup:

I agree- Especially if the PD currently runs V8 Tahoes, since the Ex PI is faster than the Tahoe.

I can't believe they didn't put the V6 Ecoboost in it. I would think a vehicle that may engage in high speed pursuits would warrant something more than the run of the mill V6.
Should be good news for the guys looking to outrun the cops that are saddled with this dog. :thumbsup:

When you get time please read the test results from LASD Vehicle Test Day

Explorer Interceptor Utility with the Mustang 3.7L V6 300HP blew away the Pursuit V8 Tahoe so Im not sure where you're getting your info from.

Its published factual information.

I was there I watched it.

Better yet was watching the Dodge Charger Police Team when the Interceptor Sedan EcoBoost V6 beat the Charger with the V8 HEMI. That sure turned a few heads!

EcoBoost is being considered for a future option later but nothing finalize, probably like the retail Explorer it will eventually come a few years from now.

I'm not talking about it pursuing a Tahoe- i'm talking about real world scenarios where it won't be able to effectively pursue average cars on the road. I guess if they are chasing a Tahoe, they will be all set.

I'm not talking about it pursuing a Tahoe- i'm talking about real world scenarios where it won't be able to effectively pursue average cars on the road. I guess if they are chasing a Tahoe, they will be all set.

I have driven both, I disagree.

Remember also 90% of PD's in Canada and US have no pursuit policy's except in serious offences.

Thats why we have the PIT, RAM, and a couple of other techniques.

No, I think the point was supposed to be that it's just a puny little mainstream V6, and the criminals are going to run away from it. Problem is, the V8 Tahoe that it competes with, is slower.

If you want speed, the Taurus PI is faster than any other mainstream PI offering that will be sold in large volume.

If they're going to run away from the Taurus PI, they're going to run away from an Ex with the EcoBoost in it.

No, I think the point was supposed to be that it's just a puny little mainstream V6, and the criminals are going to run away from it. Problem is, the V8 Tahoe that it competes with, is slower.

If you want speed, the Taurus PI is faster than any other mainstream PI offering that will be sold in large volume.

If they're going to run away from the Taurus PI, they're going to run away from an Ex with the EcoBoost in it.

Well said

Of course there will be some that will outrun either. My point was that if it is feasible to give it every advantage at their disposal, then why wouldn't they? If the 6 cylinder Ecoboost is good enough for the Taurus why not for the heavier Explorer?

I figure the Ecoboost Taurus is aimed by highway patrol, but like SGT1411 alluded to - local police doesn't really often have to worry about top speed and such, that initial acceleration to catch up from being parked is what is needed most times and then people just pull over.
Those crazy people who try to outrun the cops at any cost are a rarity, and most of them can't afford cars that can outrun the cruisers.

And I guess you're right Joe, but I just hate it when multi-million/billion dollar companies play Cpt. Obvious, I feel like that money/resources could be used better ways.

So... Lets see how the interceptor 3.7 Liter will fit in our Explorers. =P

We got to preview the new Ford interceptors w a few other municipalities here in Nj. They are nice vehicles. I love my gray stealth charger v8, but once the miles get the best of her, I wouldn't mine either one of these as a choice. I actually enjoy driving our durangos in the bad weather.

We got to preview the new Ford interceptors w a few other municipalities here in Nj. They are nice vehicles. I love my gray stealth charger v8, but once the miles get the best of her, I wouldn't mine either one of these as a choice. I actually enjoy driving our durangos in the bad weather.

The Interceptor "Ride and Drives" are starting in March with Atlanta already done and Texas this weekend

Make sure you go drive these vehicles when they come to your area.

Contact the Government Account Manager for your area under the Ford Fleet Website so you can reserve a spot as they are limited.

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, I was going to post up these videos but gladly did a search first. Now tell me, are the Police Explorers special ordered to have the 3.7? I thought they were only offered with the 3.5 V6 and then later the 2.0 I4 Ecoboost???

I looked through the links to see if there was anything about the 3.7, but nothing shows up?

Also, no one can out run the radio in a police vehicle, so it doesn't matter how fast the criminals car is:)

Edit: It's in fact a mistake, only available with the 3.5 V6(explorer).
http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/#/models/utility/enginespecs

Back