• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Police Interceptor

rmp301

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Was just at my local Costco and saw a 2013 black Explorer with "Police Interceptor" tag on the lower right tailgate.
Being curious, I looked inside the veh and saw dash mounted red lights, but what threw me was that the interior looked like any of ours, along with a console shifter and leather seats. I thought the interceptor package automatically came with a column shift for the truck, or is this because it is an unmarked Explorer. Can anyone enlighten me? :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like someone put the badge on a regular Explorer. All Interceptor SUV's have column shifters and cloth seats. Also, it will either have black steel wheels or have hubcaps.

Hey guys I was involved with the Interceptor Utility and Sedan development. Riley is 100% correct, the only shifter in a true Interceptor is column shift.

You can also tell by the utility package tray on the dash where our sub woofers are located in the retail Explorers.

The seats are also a dead give away, the police seats have distinctive scalloping of the side bolsters to allow for duty belt equipment.

The brake rotors are also noticeably bigger.

I think you can buy the "Police Interceptor" badge on Ebay for $7

Hey guys I was involved with the Interceptor Utility and Sedan development. Riley is 100% correct, the only shifter in a true Interceptor is column shift.

You can also tell by the utility package tray on the dash where our sub woofers are located in the retail Explorers.

The seats are also a dead give away, the police seats have distinctive scalloping of the side bolsters to allow for duty belt equipment.

The brake rotors are also noticeably bigger.

I think you can buy the "Police Interceptor" badge on Ebay for $7
Hey Sgt1411. The city of Ottawa bought a fleet of new Ford vehicles with the 'Police Interceptor' package. Not sure if they were the Fusion or the Taurus but they won't be on the road anytime soon. Turns out that they all have to be retrofited because they won't hold all the equipment properly the way the old Crown Vic did.

Peter

Actually the brake calipers and rotors are now used on the XLT, Limited and Sport from the Interceptor program. Only difference are the pads, the Interceptor uses a high performance version. Change took effect with the Job 3 updates on 12/3.

Mine has column shift. I'll try to post a picture tonight.

IMG_20121018_212611.jpg

Ya Peter that was big deal for a lot of Police Agencies. The equipment consoles, laptop docking stations, rear prisoner partitions, long gun racks, and pretty much everything from the CVPI doesn't carry over to the new Interceptors and has to be purchased brand new.

Currently there is no Fusion Police package, but thats not to say there wont be in the future.

Big push right now is a F150 pursuit rated Interceptor pickup. Both Dodge and Ford are working hard to be the first. They both have SSV versions but nothing pursuit rated yet.

Its interesting to see the amount of North American Agencies replacing the CVPI with the Interceptor Utility (Explorer) because it handles better then the CVPI and has 2X the storage.

Actually the brake calipers and rotors are now used on the XLT, Limited and Sport from the Interceptor program. Only difference are the pads, the Interceptor uses a high performance version. Change took effect with the Job 3 updates on 12/3.

Ya thats a great upgrade, wish I had those.....big performance difference.

Maybe first brake job I will upgrade.

Sounds like someone put the badge on a regular Explorer. All Interceptor SUV's have column shifters and cloth seats. Also, it will either have black steel wheels or have hubcaps.

It would be easy enough to look at the license tag and see if it is a permanent tag or not...and see if you see any radio antennas sticking out. Also I would suspect a true interceptor would most likely have a computer console...probably not guaranteed though. Lastly, just keep staring in the windows and if someone comes behind you and cuffs you and frisks you, then it probably is legit.

It would be easy enough to look at the license tag and see if it is a permanent tag or not...and see if you see any radio antennas sticking out. Also I would suspect a true interceptor would most likely have a computer console...probably not guaranteed though. Lastly, just keep staring in the windows and if someone comes behind you and cuffs you and frisks you, then it probably is legit.
From my look see, It sure looked like one of ours ...... No computer tray and it had stock XLT wheels on it. It did have antennas mounted on it but was a regular registered NYS veh. Although some unmarked cars will be tagged in this manner, it did look a little off to me when I saw it. Guess it was just an E-Bay add on and that the 4WD logo was pulled off and the Interceptor one added to it. Thanks guys! :confused:

I know when the Explorer retail came out some Agencies wanted to try it even though the Interceptor versions were not in production yet.

So you could see a few base Explorers out there set up as Police/Fire, or Sheriff vehicles even though they weren't the real Interceptor versions.

I wish the Interceptor 3.7L Lincoln V6 was standard in the retail Explorer not just the Interceptor version. It's such a difference from the 3.5L we have.

I work for a department in the suburbs of Pittsburgh Pa. I am in charge of our fleet. We ordered 4 new interceptor sedans this past January. They rolled out of the Chicago plant in April. They are AWD Ecoboosts !! They are great vehicles and handle snow perfectly. Very fast also! We also got a police interceptor utility. It is a shame that doesn't have the Ecoboost !! Now looking forward to the limited I just ordered.

how would i know if mine has tese? Build date offline12/4

I work for a department in the suburbs of Pittsburgh Pa. I am in charge of our fleet. We ordered 4 new interceptor sedans this past January. They rolled out of the Chicago plant in April. They are AWD Ecoboosts !! They are great vehicles and handle snow perfectly. Very fast also! We also got a police interceptor utility. It is a shame that doesn't have the Ecoboost !! Now looking forward to the limited I just ordered.

Engineers tell me the issue with EcoBoost V6 for police is cooling. Even the heavy duty cooling the EcoBoost Intercepter sedan has isnt enough to handle the Utility demand with 400lbs of payload.

It has to pass LASD and MSP testing each year.

Ok Sgt1411. Our sedan Ecoboosts have been great so far. One has 20,000 on it so far with no issues. The other 3 have between 5,000 and 14,000 miles. No cooling issues this past summer. Only issue we have had with one has been the Am/Fm radio has been freezing up and not working. Eventually it resets. The one thing that needs to change is the removal of the door strap by the hinge. It limits how far the door opens and makes getting in and out of the car harder.

Yes the Sedan Interceptor has never had any cooling issues, as its tested in the California desert under pursuit conditions to pass LASD Testing every October. The concern was adding the EcoBoost V6 to the Utility and not having the adequate cooling. Remember when they test the Utility they test it loaded up with 400lbs in the rear storage because thats what most Agencies will do with them.

The tether straps on the Interceptor Sedan door are there for high winds catching the door when its open and folding the door against the front quarter panel. There is a new updated longer strap out that allows for more door swing/opening. Just have you Fleet guy contact his Ford rep and get the updated part installed.

If he needs a contact at Ford please feel free to PM me.

Thanks Sgt1411. I am our fleet guy so I will contact the local Ford dealer that we use. If they can't get the straps I will PM you.

Yes the Sedan Interceptor has never had any cooling issues, as its tested in the California desert under pursuit conditions to pass LASD Testing every October. The concern was adding the EcoBoost V6 to the Utility and not having the adequate cooling. Remember when they test the Utility they test it loaded up with 400lbs in the rear storage because thats what most Agencies will do with them.

The tether straps on the Interceptor Sedan door are there for high winds catching the door when its open and folding the door against the front quarter panel. There is a new updated longer strap out that allows for more door swing/opening. Just have you Fleet guy contact his Ford rep and get the updated part installed.

If he needs a contact at Ford please feel free to PM me.
Is the front center console removed to make space for the computer workstation? I would guess there is no need for one as there is no floor shift in this model.

Is the front center console removed to make space for the computer workstation? I would guess there is no need for one as there is no floor shift in this model.

Yes, its removed for the aftermarket console & laptop docking station that contains radios and light controllers. The police version gets a factory heavy steel mounting plate thats anchored to structure for a secure mounting base.

www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they look awesome. I want the pushbar on the front of mine!

2012-11-13091821_zpsed2ed096.jpg

Back