Explorer problem. It floods, and has bad gas mileage. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer problem. It floods, and has bad gas mileage.

fnls91exploder

Reaction score
City, State
chickamauga, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4.0 5speed
my father N law has a 91 explorer 4.0 5 speed
no key on codes
44,95,144,191,195 (memory codes)
42 (running code)
how do i need to go about fixing this problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my father N law has a 91 explorer 4.0 5 speed
no key on codes
44,95,144,191,195 (memory codes)
42 (running code)
how do i need to go about fixing this problem

i dont know what the codes are, but i would start w/ a tune up, you could possibly have a bad injector as well.

you're tune up should include cleaning the mass air meter, and a new o2 sensor, also be sure you have the correct thermostat (195) and that it's not stuck (does it heat up to normal operating temp?) take a look at your spark plugs, if one looks different, it's probably behind the injector that's bad. (if there is in fact a bad injector)

i really dont know what i'm talking about but that's where i would start. good luck.

do you have a code list? if not google it and post you're results that will help too.

it is also possible that you have a plugged cat.

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 91-94 section. Check the fuel pressure regulator for leakage, and the resistance of the engine coolant temperature sensor.

I might go back and double check how you got the codes. Your '91 should be outputting only 2 digit codes, not a mix of 2 and 3 digit codes.

SOP is to resolve KOEO codes first (you imply that you are already getting a 11 from the KOEO test), then resolve KOER codes. KOER 42 is for an O2 sensor that is always indicating rich condition, which conicides with your thread title about the engine flooding. I'd would agree with BrooklynBay that this potentially points to a fuel delivery problem, so that's probably where I would start. Check the vacuum line to the FPR for gasoline (gas=bad FPR) and test fuel pressure.

Back