• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Purchase Advice Needed

comishcraig

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not yet
I'm in the market for a used Explorer and I would like some help figuring out what I'm getting into since I haven't owned one before.

I'm considering a high-mileage 4.0, 2002 Explorer with 4WD and the tow package. I test drove my first one today and it had 132,000 miles on it. It drove very well. This guy was asking $7500 for it.

What do I have to look out for and what should I expect a car with this mileage will need?

I noticed the timing belt and the owner said it hasn't been replaced. Has had it's tranny flushed, new brakes, new A/C condensor and new tires.

I'm not looking for this to be a primary vehicle at all. Just a mountain/snow driving and future dreams of towing a ski boat or jet skis.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it a sport(2 door)?

IMO, its a bit steep for the mileage. But, I don't live in Cali, so I don't know what the market is there.

Watch for a few things on the 02- Broken rear coil springs, rear end noise or whine, cracked liftgate plastic.

The 02's were the first year of the 3rd generation explorer, they had more problems than most explorers have.

If you are not looking for a daily driver, and especially want to use it as a tow rig, look into a 1999-2001 with the 5.0 V8, they have a far superior transmission. As an added bonus, one can be bought for less than the 3rd gen.

If you are not looking for a daily driver, and especially want to use it as a tow rig, look into a 1999-2001 with the 5.0 V8, they have a far superior transmission. As an added bonus, one can be bought for less than the 3rd gen.

Thanks. That's advice I will consider.

MountaineerGreen pretty much has it pegged, I just switched to the 5.0, and i noticed a BIG low end power difference. They are AWD so they suck gas, but since its not a daily driver, i would second that motion to go with a 5.0. i picked one up for 5000 with 107000 miles, and its a 97!! They are great trucks, cant go wrong, just be sure to be picky about they little things. And with the 5.0 there really isnt a big watch out for list that i can really remember, correct me if im wrong please, but yea. one thing is the early 5.0s passanger exaust manifolds would crack just be alert for an exaust leak...

Be careful... look for flood damage.

I'm in the market for a used Explorer and I would like some help figuring out what I'm getting into since I haven't owned one before.

I'm considering a high-mileage 4.0, 2002 Explorer with 4WD and the tow package. I test drove my first one today and it had 132,000 miles on it. It drove very well. This guy was asking $7500 for it.

What do I have to look out for and what should I expect a car with this mileage will need?

I noticed the timing belt and the owner said it hasn't been replaced. Has had it's tranny flushed, new brakes, new A/C condensor and new tires.

I'm not looking for this to be a primary vehicle at all. Just a mountain/snow driving and future dreams of towing a ski boat or jet skis.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

It sounds like you might live around Folsom or on the other side near Auburn. But that sounds like a good deal - I would check and double check with a pro for flood damage. And if it came out of Modesto, check those vin numbers! (Not hating on Modesto, but those who know, know)

And if it came out of Modesto, check those vin numbers! (Not hating on Modesto, but those who know, know)

OK...what's going on with Modesto cars?

So, what's the recommended replacement for the timing belts? I saw another thread here talking about bad things happening if that breaks.

BTW, I'm in the Bay Area but would be keeping the truck up in Angels Camp.

Back