• Register Today It's free!

Explorer rear axle on a Ranger?

Xplorer92

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT/'00 Jeep Wrangler
Has anyone ever tried to fabricate a 1st gen. Explorer axle to fit on a '94 Ranger 4x4? I recently had to replace the entire front end of my '94 Ranger w/ a '93 Explorer 3.73 TTB. The problem I have now is that I have an 8.8 3.27 Ranger rear axle, that does not match the front ratio and would like to use the Explorer 8.8 3.73 L/S rear axle to match the front. Any suggestions or direction to a place online that I could get some specs would be greatly appreciated.

'94 Ranger XLT Supercab, 4x4, 4.0L, Auto Tran., only 36,000 on motor, new Jasper Tranny only 600 miles, 4" suspension, 3" body, Warn manual hubs, 33x12.50 BFG All-Terrains, my daily driver

'93 Explorer XLT, 4x4, Auto trans., bone stock, missing entire front TTB, Tranny for sale or maybe give away if you want it (still works fine), cracked heads on motor, other good parts P.M. me if you are interested, I'm thinking about scraping it, my parts truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Arent they the same? I thought the only dif was that the Ranger axle was only a 28 spline as compared to the 31 of an Explorer.

^^And the fact that they are SOA (Explorers are obviously SUA) ;)

You will have to remove and re-weld the spring perches above the axle and out a little. You will also have to fab up some shock mounts..

Would the Superlift perch adapters for the Explorer S.O.A. work the same on the Ranger or are the perches a different width apart? I think the frame rails on a Ranger are closer together than on a Explorer right, but then again the leaf springs are mounted directly under the frame rails on the Explorer, and on the outside of the frame rails on the Ranger, And what about the sway bar, will I have to fabricate the mounts for that too? Maybe I should just get off my lazy ass and take some measurments

I belive the Explorer axle is about 1-1 1/2 wider then Ranger. I ran into this problem when I was going to swap in a 8.8 for a old 7.5

So did you do the swap or decide not to because of this? What did you do instead?

What would be the point of using the 1st gen axle when you could use the 2nd gen axles with rear disc...if you were going to go through the trouble to do it at all.

um.... :rolleyes: Because, 1. I already have the axle from a parts truck so its like getting it for free 2. From what I understand you have to go to alot of trouble to modifiy the master cylinder. 3. Disc brakes, drum brakes, it makes no difference to me. But, I can understand where you're coming from and I guess it is a valid point for someone who really needs disc brakes in the rear.

Thanks for the help RangerX. The post at the Rangerstation helped out
alot, and gives me some valuble info to go on.

Back