• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Reliability

phacade gsx

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eclipse GSX
I've been thinking about purchasing an Explorer. My plan is to only spend around $4k on it, so I would be looking at a 1st gen with probably 100k+ miles on it. I have heard that the reliability of Explorers is not exactly great, and am worried about what problems I might run into buying an Explorer of this age.

Are there any models/years that espeically have problems? What should I look out for when buying an older one?

Thanks.
Marlin Liew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buying one with that many miles on it I would try to find out any service records, also might want to have the tranny checked out before buying too.

I'll be sure to ask for all the service records. But, without actually pulling the tranny and opening it up to look, I don't see how I could check it out.

What I'm really asking about is are there any known major problems with these trucks? Most related to the motor or tranny going out after 100k? How much does it cost for a new tranny or new motor?

Marlin

Hey,

I have a 91' with over 150,000 on it, I think we bought it when it had around 72k.

My dad also has a 98 w/ about 74k on it now.

Both of them we had to rebuild the rearend, mine was at around 93k and my dads was just a week or so ago, both of those ran around $700 at the shop.

So far the motor in mine has been great (KNOCK ON WOOD) no major repairs or problems, tranny is also still going, its the original!! I still can't believe that, I just pray it holds together a while longer. The tranny is known to be not all that great from what I hear, so I guess I must just be lucky, I do regular changes of Tranny Fluid and change the screen out also.

I think we got quoted about $1500 - $1800 for a tranny installed so thats a ballpark figure anyway, could be quite a bit less if its something you could do yourself.

Anyway I love my X, thinking about putting a bigger set of tires on it soon, hope you have good luck with yours if you end up with one.

-Matt

Trannies

Our X, which is really my wife's car, needed a tranny rebuild at 77K. Some valve had died, the thing lost second gear, broke a band, etc. It happened (or at least became apparent) while I was driving. The beast was just 2K out of Ford's extended Warranty and they said, "That'll be $3500. Have a nice day!"

AAMCO got to do the rebuild for about $2500.

The car has otherwise been fairly painless and had only normal Ford recommended maintenance. Gets 17mpg around town, 20 on the highway.

I'm probably about to inherit it when I turn my car (a classic Saab that has also been painless to own) over to my daughter.

Our question is whether to buy her another X. The tranny was kinda annoying at that low mileage.

What are others' experiences?

The Explorer's weakness is the automatic transmission. On our Explorer it went out at 74,800. But other than that nothing major has gone wrong.

Sounds like around 75k is when the tranny starts to go. If I get a Explorer with over 100k on the clock that will definitely be something I'll have to check out. Maybe I can find one that has already been rebuilt. If I have to spend another $3k on the tranny right away that will be more than I want to invest for sure.

Marlin

Yup, the major thing is the tranny. Besides that, I haven't had any major failures or breakdowns. My truck is 6 years old with 73k, and I've been pushing serious hp through it since 40k. I beat the hell out of that thing (racing, offroad, city driving) and it's still going strong.

So like we say, the major thing to watch out for is the tranny. Now, with 100+k miles, there might be an assortment of small stuff that needs to be done soon, but they're for the most part fairly inexpensive and easy.

Yeah the small stuff isn't a big deal. I just don't want to have to pay for anything major.

I have just over 200,000 miles on mine. Still original and unmolested motor and transmission (although the overdrive is now gone). I have talked to a few folks about a rebuild and most go for about $1200-$1500. One guy told me to try replacing the TCC switch [torque converter control switch] first. I guess it can't hurt to try that before a rebuild.
Before you buy, crawl all over that thing, drive it, and if your really interested, take it to a shop and have it checked out or take it to someone who is really knowledgable about them. Happy hunting.

Other than normal plastic trim pieces breaking (inside drivers door handle/ center console arm rest) the main week parts are the auto tranny (manual seems to be better) and heads.

If you overheat the motor you run the risk of cracking heads.. Auto trannies can last between 75k and 200k (Our first lasted until 165k)..

Our x now has 269k Miles on it.. and still has orig motor (replaced heads).. It isn't as reliable as my old honda.. but I didn't drive the honda like I drive the X..

you will still have to change normal things like alternator, water pump, radiator, brakes, radius arm bushings etc.. but that is just normal stuff you eventually replace (assuming they haven't been changed yet)..

There is a long thread called something like "high mileage explorers" if you want to see what other are getting.

~Mark

Yep, the automatic transmission is a major problem in Explorers.
So I get mine (XLT 92 4x4) with the Manual Mazda tranny, she have 157K now and still uses the original clutch.
I have some troubles with the syncronizers, but I don't think that such repair cost more than $350
The engine runs just fine, specially before I clean the MAF sensor.

Maybe you would check out there for a manual X

Andy:chug:

got my 92 X with 90k on it
has ran beatuifully since day 1.

it seen some days better than others, meaning i've had to do some thigns to make her run better, but she runs like new right now.....it really is amazing....but i baby it knowing that the tranny could go very easily.

i've done long lists of mods, but theres nothing really mechanical that has all out FAILED ME YET, *KNOCK ON WOOD*.... but i've replaced the alternator wiht a 130 amp one...thats pretty much it.

sure its got problems, it leaks just about everything i put in it... OIL, COOLANT, FRONT DIFF FLUID. but if i keep a eye on them, it should be fine.

good luck

I think it really depends on how it was maintaned. I have 160,000 miles on my 91. I bought it with 64,000 miles. It has ran beutifully. No major problem (kow) and I don't think it will soon unless something just goes without any notice.

I did have to change the steering gear and I forgot now how many times I have changed the front brakes. But, it has been the best truck I have ever owned.

I change oil every3,000 miles on the dot. Change all other fluids a little sooner than the suggested schedule says.

Maintanence is the key.

Brian

I can not complain about the X (94 XLT) I have. Bought it with 52K, and it now has 103K. The only time it wouldn't start and get me where I'm going is when it had a dead battery (and that was 5yrs old at the time).

Exactly what MyExpWork said about how it was maintained befored hand. I bought my 94' Xplorer with 105k on it on aug. 12, 2001. It has 114k now Yes only 9k put on in a year pathetic but its either been broke down or in shop so i cant rack up any miles on it. Had it checked out at a shop before i bought it. it needed normal wear and tear stuff, new belt, filter, tranny filter, flush, oil change, brakes, brake pins, tires had 25% thread left. Tranny and Engine checked out fine.....Ya right. Second day after I had purchased it Bye Bye Transmission $1400 rebuild at AAMCO luckily guy i bought from went half with me $700 a piece. Than about 6 months later BYE BYE Engine blown 5 and 6 cylinders. Rebuild $2300. Since than my Tranny has gone in the shop twice. 3 months ago got Tranny rebuilt again Under Warranty. As im typing this it is in the Tranny Shop being Rebuilt AGAIN (Metal Shavings In the Pan) Warranty Ended yesterday but I had it in before than. Now if it goes out again im ****ed. Check Engine light continues to go off replaced battery, altenator, Air Intake, Egr valve, temp. sensor, cam sensor, plugs, plug wires, cleaned maf, and cleaned IAC. Now i have a leak in my hedders on the driver side so those will be next. This site is awesome though for finding answers on little dinky stuff that you would otherwise have to take into shop and they still might not know either. Eitherway i think i just have bad luck, but if i could do it all over again i would of had a tranny shop drop the pan and look. The funny thing is you just dont know mine worked fine and than it just went out so you just dont know bro. If i were you i would just save up a little more and go for 95+ thats what i wanted to do orignal but ran into problems. Lets see did i mention this beast is only 2wd. If it were 4x4 tranny rebuild will be closer to 2k and than you have transfer case problems also. Honestly speaking im never going to buy a Xploder 91-94 again. But what am i saying im just dowsed in bad luck so im sure you will have better. Im done :confused:

Do youself a favor.....

and use all or part of that $4,000 as a down payment on a much newer Explorer. Find a way to finance the balance. The odds are not with you on buying a 100,000 mile vehicle especially if it's 4WD.

You will not regret buying the best you can afford and you will be far better off with an Explorer with fewer miles on it.

Okay i don't know if you all are going to believe me. I used to have a '93 4x4 Ex.(hence the screen name) and it was just great. I got it from my dads company at 168k, before then my uncle owned it and before that it was on a two year lease. Well let me tell you that when i just got my '96 and gave up the old beast that it literally had 198k on it. As far as I know it had the same tranny and definetly same engine...so if that 's not good enough on Ex's being reliable then i don't know what is...hope you join the family phacade gsx!!!

We got our Explorer (94) in Sept. of 2000. It had 69000 miles on it and now we just turned 130000. So far so good. Everything works and no leaking fluid. I agree with everyone else: the main thing to do is make sure it is maintained.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back