Explorer Roof Racks: Replacing Broken Section | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Roof Racks: Replacing Broken Section

I need to get a replacement crosspiece (the part that slides on the roof channels). The rear one on my Explorer broke (collapsed) while carrying a piece of lumber and hitting a dip in the road.

My rack's center plastic/aluminum section separated from the plastic runners (the plastic split where it inserts into the aluminum part) and seems beyond repair.

What's the easiest way to remove the old crosspiece ends from the channels and does anyone know of any decent after-market web sites that sell replacements?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn
I just pitched all my old ones :mad:

I would visit a automotive recycle establishment.
( that is PC for junk yard )

I was considering that option, but because these are plastic, a used one might be already stressed to the point where it wouldn't hold up as well as a new one.

How DO you remove these off the track anyway? Do I have to take the end caps off the tracks and slide them off, or is there a secret trick to this that's easier?

Just loosen them as if you were going to move them, but just keep loosening until they release.

I still have mine sitting in the garage from when I replaced them with a Yakima rack. And since I went to New Milford High, I might be willing to part with them. :D They are a little faded, so could probably use a coat of pain ... if you care, but otherwise are in good condition. i don't think you'd have to slide them out, 'cause the cross piece should come off the bracket that actually goes in the slide. Plus, the bolts that go into the roof get so rusted that you can't get them out (and you would need to to remove the end cap without just snapping it off ... which is a viable option as well).

THULE makes the cross bars that fit into the rails, they are extremely strong, I used a set in a 91 Expy Sport. I used to load them down heavy and they took everything. The downside to the THULE is they use a square type crossbar which does tend to make more noise on the highway.

Back