Explorer Shuddering?!

willied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
About a week ago after it rained I noticed my Explorer was shuddering as I was accelerating. Around 60mph or so it started shuddering badly and the CEL started flashing. We took it in to the shop, and they said the number 7 cylinder had misfired, but they lacked the tools to do anything about it. It still shudders when accelerating at times, but not as violently. I haven't changed anything on the car since I got it (65,000 miles, now about 68,000) other than getting the oil changed. I'm thinking it's the coil. What do you guys think it could be and could I fix it myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exchange coil #7 with another coil and see if the missfire moves to that cylinder.
If it does replace the coil.

Good idea...though, I'd have to take it in for them to scan it...

I have just recently noticed that a little at freeway speed but no other times from a light throttle application, but if i put my foot into it, no issues. I am thinking it's a bad tank of fuel possibly but am watching it closely.

I have just recently noticed that a little at freeway speed but no other times from a light throttle application, but if i put my foot into it, no issues. I am thinking it's a bad tank of fuel possibly but am watching it closely.

Well Coil # 4 was bad and tech is noting early hard wear on the plugs so doubt they will make the 100k mark (I am at 77k now) so they replaced the coil/plug both under the Ford ESP coverage I have.

Back