• Register Today It's free!

Explorer shut off at 50mph!!

WadeC14

Reaction score
City, State
Belgrade, Mt
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer 5.0l v-8
My 2000 explorer 5.0l v-8 shut off while going 50mph today. I recently replaced the fuel pump/sending unit assembly and when finished the check engine light came on, I pulled the code and it said Camshaft positioning sensor problem but 2 mechanics said if the chk eng light came on right after its probably just coincidence unless it was on before I worked on it which it wasn't . Would the CMP Sensor cause this?? Help please!!
➰₩D CLK™➰

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the fuel filter? I think your mechanics are too old school. Pull the top of the sync drive, it’s probably destroyed. Did you use the cheapest available pump?

I didn't replace filter, will now. Will check the sync drive. And I did use one of the cheaper assemblise. But at least have a one year warranty with it. I'll check those and let you know, thank you!!

My 2000 explorer 5.0l v-8 shut off while going 50mph today. I recently replaced the fuel pump/sending unit assembly and when finished the check engine light came on, I pulled the code and it said Camshaft positioning sensor problem but 2 mechanics said if the chk eng light came on right after its probably just coincidence unless it was on before I worked on it which it wasn't . Would the CMP Sensor cause this?? Help please!!
➰₩D CLK™➰

The cam shaft position sensor is used to time fuel injector pluses. If the sensor goes bad the engine will typically still run (though very poorly).

The CPS going bad has nothing to do with your fuel pump, so the fact that it's gone bad is coincidental. You need to look into removing/replacing your CPS and cam synchronizer. If you do, I suggest you use only Motorcraft replacement parts, as aftermarket and re-manufactured parts have a high failure rate.

BTW - Not replacing your fuel filter voids your fuel pump warranty.

Do the fuel filter now, a clogged fuel filter will shut down a running engine, and can stop it from starting again.

I had that happen going to work 16 years ago with a Crown Vic I had just bought from an auction. It had 135k miles and was fairly clean, I just decided to drive it to work the day after I bought it. I had to have it towed home, and after doing a tune up it was fine. The fuel filter poured a ton of soupy fuel out of the inlet side, it was clogged badly. The car was a supervisor's car, no roof lights and likely not driven a lot.

Do check the CMP sensor, take it off and confirm that the vanes are intact etc. Those are pass/fail items, only breakage, age and bushings seizing up make you replace those. Regards,

WTF? Just finished all the work...the fuel pump/filter, bad wires/ connections, the cam pos sensor and when I thought it was good for a start...it was but running really rough, Scruff McGruff rough! You couldn't even write your name sitting in it and be able to read it!! No check engine light either finally. Not thinking duct tape could even fix this monster! ! Is it the cam syncro? Pee head at the auto store said there would be a seprate code so I'm good with just the sensor.....do i duct tape him for talking ? Help!

The sync drive is all mechanical. As long as the vane is present and doesn’t break the magnet off the sensor it should be fine. Also, it’ll run ‘fine’ with no CPS at all. Are you positive you have your wires in order?

Back