How to: - Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
take the extra 30 seconds of effort and do both, rather than half azzed lol

On a lot of the cars the clamps are facing downward on the back bov. I know for mine I only took the front off for the first few days because I couldn't bend in an awkward enough position to reach the rear. I ended up getting a tool to assist in removing the rear clamps. I assume that's why this guy is hesitating too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am doing this in the morning. Front and Rear. :salute::)

Could doing this give a dealer a reason to reject the powertrain warranty. Sounds easy enough to pop back on though.

That's weird I never ran into anything like that, I would data log that and have my tuner go over the logs to see what was happening.

That's weird I never ran into anything like that, I would data log that and have my tuner go over the logs to see what was happening.

+1

Would be interesting to see what may have caused this issue.

Bov

Ok I realize this is old now, but I figured I'd update while I remember. When I noted my issues went away after reconnecting the hoses and didn't do any venting, that was 100% just a coincidence. I got my issues resolved and have been venting again with no issues, so I just wanted to clarify that

Thanks for the clarification. Do you notice that they are louder with both removed? I just removed the front because it was easy. I known I'm lazy but I was just curious. I have been driving a few months with it removed and sometimes wish it was louder and crisper! Sounds like it is louder with a tune and CAI? I haven't plugged my hole yet because the plugs I bought were too big and actually fit the hose instead of the plastic tube on the car.
I was thinking about finding the right size plug and drilling a smaller hole in the plug. Thinking that when the release boost escaping from the vent pipe will sound different coming from a smaller 1/4" hole than form a 1" hole. Any thoughts on this mod?

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 723

I haven't plugged my hole yet because the plugs I bought were too big and actually fit the hose instead of the plastic tube on the car.

Haven't plugged which hole? The hole on the intake side? If you haven't plugged this, you could be sucking in dirty air which could cause damage. You either need a cap to fit over the plastic part, or you need to leave the tube on, and get a 1" plug to put in the other end of it.

The BOV side can be left open, not sure what you mean about putting a small hole in a plug.

Love it

J

Love It!!!!!

Just did this MOD at work in the parking lot..
only the front for now... will do the back as soon as i get a free minute and the plugs for the hoses... i found a 1" bolt and used that to block hose for now..
did i say THAT I LOVE IT!!!!

Thank You for the info! :salute:

Here is the least expensive hose clamp pliers I have found. Ordered today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FT-Flexibl...0920490728&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

BTW. I have done the easy front side removal today. Glad I did! Why? Found out I almost had a hose, which is located right next to the newly plugged area about to slide off. If you look at the first picture on this post-look at the left circled area-just touching the right side of that circle is a larger hose...That one! Both ends had a very loose hose clamp-the kind you can tighten with an 8mm wrench or a flat screwdriver. I am waiting for the hose clamp pliers to arrive before I tackle the rear. No rush here.

I went ghetto and rubber-banded a piece of thick clear vinyl over the intake side until I hit lowes-home-depot to find a decent cover or I might order the one from McMasters.com.

This hose is constantly coming lose on me, it's never come off but I can literally make it as tight as possible, go for a drive, come home and it's slipped down again. I need to find a new type of clamp for it

Thanks for the heads up.

Buzz

+1 :D Found a 1" plumbing plug at Rona (Canada) and plugged the hose instead of removing it completely. Did only the front, since I haven't found a hose clamp tool yet. How big of a difference is it with both set to atmosphere?

+1 :D Found a 1" plumbing plug at Rona (Canada) and plugged the hose instead of removing it completely. Did only the front, since I haven't found a hose clamp tool yet. How big of a difference is it with both set to atmosphere?

The rear clamp can actually be removed by unbolting, unplugging the hardware around the hard plastic tube. Once it is sort of loose, you can slightly mAnipulate the hard plastic tube to get a better
Bite on the rear hose clamp using medium to large channel locks. I ordered
One of those hose clamp pliers as you saw from my earlier post. I was antsy this weekend and did it without it. Spent an extra 5
Minutes preparing the work area to grab that hose
CLamp. I also left the hose connected to the right side that sucks air in. I also used a .67 cent 1inch plug from lowes. I also bought the exact same chair cushion/plug to use on the front right as shown in the first picture of this thread. I used a new hose clamp that uses an 8mm socket instead of those stock clamps. Made it a lil bit easier. Btw I did not clamp the rear 1in plug. It isnt going anywhere with its own perfect, tight fit. Typing this on an iphone in bed sorry for typos. Etc

Buzz.

Btw. I drove around with the front only and then drove around with both. Both is louder and is noticeable with the windows up and some radio volume.

... Btw. I drove around with the front only and then drove around with both. Both is louder and is noticeable with the windows up and some radio volume.

Wow, that much!? Then I'll probably have a go at it next weekend. Thanks!

SO in relation to the first picture on page one, the left circle is the BOV and it is left open, the more oval right circle is the intake side and needs to be capped to prevent contamination. There is a hose running from the BOV to the intake side, I can leave it attached and cap the free (BOV) end (securing the hose so as to prevent any movement).

Do I have all this correct? Sometimes I struggle with simple.

SO in relation to the first picture on page one, the left circle is the BOV and it is left open, the more oval right circle is the intake side and needs to be capped to prevent contamination. There is a hose running from the BOV to the intake side, I can leave it attached and cap the free (BOV) end (securing the hose so as to prevent any movement). Do I have all this correct? Sometimes I struggle with simple.

A picture of my front valve open, with the hose plugged next to it.

5608A874-465E-4636-B057-A26991F399A6_zpsejti3n4s.jpg

bingo! Got her done. Thanks for the pics fellas. Hope my wife likes it tomorrow!

yeah same here i left the hoses alone so its easy if i ever want to put it back. found the 1 inch plugs at lowes in the plumbing department. front was cake, the rear plug was a pain to put in, with my hand holding pliers to open the clamp i used the other and put alittle soap as lube to plug get it in there.

Attachments

• IMAG0123#1.jpg
    IMAG0123#1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 739
  • IMAG0122#1.jpg
    IMAG0122#1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 762
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 720

Finally opened up the rear valve and yes, the rear clamp was a pain! But the result was rewarding.
I can definitely hear the boost pressure releasing though the valves, with all windows closed and despite my roaring Corsa exhaust.
My wife thinks it sounds too much "Fast and the Furious"... but then deliberately drives to get the sound, so I guess it grows on you ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys
I couldn't find suitable cap and i was so excited to hear that sound so i did it last night with what was useful.
BUT in test run there was no new sound:(
any help?

Back