How to: - Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here you go guys just made this video. Thanks for the information on this walk through it was perfect.

I did both front and rear.

This is Wifey's 2015 Explorer sport and this was it's first mod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this mod a while back and misplaced the hoses. I wanted to put them back on but I am going to have to order new ones. Does anyone know what part number they are? Thanks

I only did the front hose and eventually got tired of hearing it go off too often. I put my hose back on and used aftermarket clamps to secure it. The sound gets old after awhile in my opinion.

Hi guys
I couldn't find suitable cap and i was so excited to hear that sound so i did it last night with what was useful.
BUT in test run there was no new sound:(
any help?

Hey did you ever find out what was wrong? I'm kind of curious to know what you did wrong or maybe is your motor not boosting? Anyways.... No one never answered you back and you never posted anything following your original.... So I must ask.

Just a FYI

While at the oil change garage today, I noticed the two open end hoses that I had open to the atmosphere were oozing with a little bit of oil residue. I will be reinstalling these hoses as soon as the engine cools down. I dont want that residual oil to start cooking on exhaust parts and making an already stinky car at full power smell even worse. Not worth the Whoosh sound anymore.

Buzz

Just a FYI

While at the oil change garage today, I noticed the two open end hoses that I had open to the atmosphere were oozing with a little bit of oil residue. I will be reinstalling these hoses as soon as the engine cools down. I dont want that residual oil to start cooking on exhaust parts and making an already stinky car at full power smell even worse. Not worth the Whoosh sound anymore.

Buzz
Bumping this old post, as I recently modified mine to VTA and the concern you brought up is exactly why some owners installed a catch can.You should look into this considering you are seeing oil and it is now making its way into your intake manifold.

Loving the Choo Choo / blowoff noise. Lucky for me the back pipe had already blown off after 500 miles from new. Removal was easy. ;)

Bumping this old post, as I recently modified mine to VTA and the concern you brought up is exactly why some owners installed a catch can.You should look into this considering you are seeing oil and it is now making its way into your intake manifold.

Just did this mod on mine and while in the process of doing it I too noticed oil residue in the tubing (both the recirc tubes and the intake tubing). Not a lot, just some residue. Is this a common issue with these engines or cause for concern. Our sport only has 10,x.. miles on it and no other mods.

Just did this mod on mine and while in the process of doing it I too noticed oil residue in the tubing (both the recirc tubes and the intake tubing). Not a lot, just some residue. Is this a common issue with these engines or cause for concern. Our sport only has 10,x.. miles on it and no other mods.
Not that familiar with the turbo setup but when you mentioned intake tubing is that the air intake to the filter? There have been issues with that in the past on non turbos.

Peter

Not that familiar with the turbo setup but when you mentioned intake tubing is that the air intake to the filter? There have been issues with that in the past on non turbos.

Peter
I guess maybe I am using the wrong phrasing. It was the tube coming off the rear turbo that both of the bov recirculation hoses plug into. Just figured it was some kind of intake tube. Also the rear BOV has a little oil residue inside of the vent opening. Again nothing crazy. Just curious if it was a known issue or I should maybe be concerned.

Just vented to atmosphere the forward blow off valve. No additional HP, but she sure sounds faster! Ha. Love it.

I guess maybe I am using the wrong phrasing. It was the tube coming off the rear turbo that both of the bov recirculation hoses plug into. Just figured it was some kind of intake tube. Also the rear BOV has a little oil residue inside of the vent opening. Again nothing crazy. Just curious if it was a known issue or I should maybe be concerned.

The pipe connected to the turbos and intercooler is called a CAC (cold air charge) pipe.
The oil residue you see, is PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) blowby vapor, that you do not want recirculated back into the intake manifold; as it increases carbon buildup in our EB engines.
This is one of the main reasons, I decided to vent the blowoff valves to the atomosphere and I will be installing a catch-can also.

Bumping this thread for curiosity sake. Has anyone installed an aftermarket blow off valve, such as the HKS SSQV or similar for a different sound/pitch? I see turbosmart is actually selling a kit that is specific to the 3.5L ecoboost (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0215-1371/overview/) but there is no real reason for one over another as long as the springs are correct for the boost.

Also - it appears that the stock recirculation valves are electrically operated. I'm assuming this is done via throttle position (negative voltage from throttle sensor opens valve), but I see no real reason why we can't do it as a vacuum operated valve (which is what most BOV are triggered by). Does anyone know if you get a CEL if the recirculation valves are unplugged?

I personally only did the front one as it was easy and still sounds good. I just left the rear one factory.
How long have you been running with jus the front one done? Have you ran across any issues? Is this safe to do just one versus both? Thanks in advance!

Anyone having issues with the residual oil coming out of the BOV's? Possibly a result from the pcv or ccv?

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Anyone having issues with the residual oil coming out of the BOV's? Possibly a result from the pcv or ccv?
Not sure if the catch can was simply very efficient, but I found no more oil residue when I was putting everything back priority to selling the EX.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How and what did you use for the catch can?

Back