• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport emblem

kiwi98J

Reaction score
City, State
KC MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
anyone removed the black stick on "EXPLORER" emblem on the front of the hood of the Sport? Looks good but it's impossible to clean and detail around and inside the letters, plus, I've ruined 2 high dollar detailing pads from snagging them on the pointed letter edges. I want to remove and have my pin stripe guy paint it on. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not a fan and would just remove it. I thought it looked awkward to clean around and keep wax out of it.

Toothbrush and Q-Tips? Cleaning badges and lettering for years that way for the smallest nooks and crannies.

toothbrush and q tips! bet those q tips are gonna do a whole lot better than the 2.3 mm buffing cone heads I'm using now. I'd pay to see it.

anyone removed the black stick on "EXPLORER" emblem on the front of the hood of the Sport? Looks good but it's impossible to clean and detail around and inside the letters, plus, I've ruined 2 high dollar detailing pads from snagging them on the pointed letter edges. I want to remove and have my pin stripe guy paint it on. Any thoughts?
I'm having the same problem snagging my cleaning cloths and pads. I like the look, but I am contemplating removing the raised letters and replacing them with a similar sized Oracal decal in the same font type I used for the my rear "sport" emblem. I'm having no issues at all waxing over the Oracal decals.

160718117.gif

I have a white platinum '15 XLT with the appearance package and just removed the XLT emblem on the back tailgate, no need for it. Almost everything on the XLT is either black or white, so having the silver XLT emblem on one side of the tailgate didn't really add anything to the truck.

The easiest way to remove emblems is with dental floss, then take off sticky substance with your hands the best you can, then spray Gumout on cloth to remove what's left and lastly wax or polish.

They are made out of plastic and can be put back at anytime with ease.

I personally like the emblems. I do agree about waxing tho. I would just clean around it well.

I use a q tip around that area. Works great. I would never consider taking it off, so I found a way to work around it :)

You're right, it is a PITA to clean, but I like the look so much that I even had it newly reinstalled after getting a clear bra on the whole front of my Ex.
I think with painting the letters on you will not get the same effect, since it is the "raised" emblem that does it (at least for me).
Other than that: Removing either with dental floss (even though it does tend to rip easily), or, and that's what I did when I removed my "Ecoboost" emblem on the lift gate, jewelry wire (very thin wire, won't hurt anything, since your cutting through the thick clue patch). Fishing line is supposed to work well also.

I personally like the emblems. I do agree about waxing tho. I would just clean around it well.

Some emblems I like and some I don't. I have a gray Explorer emblem on the hood that I actually like, but since my Explorer looks much more like the Sport model than a XLT, the silver XLT on one side of the tailgate looked out of place.

When waxing or polishing the car, so long as you have a small brush, all emblems are easy to clean IMO.

Back