Explorer Sport - fuel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport - fuel?

What grade of fuel do you use in your Sport?

• Regular 87

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • mid grade 89

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Premium 91-93

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • I use more than one grade

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I'm tuned I have to run Premium

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
Yes I knew I was buying too high of octane then what's recommended but I wanted to see if it affected the 1500-2000rpm stumble issue at all.

Yes EcoBoost Interceptors were being produced as of March 2014. Not a lot out but Nevada Highway Patrol has bought the most so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I knew I was buying too high of octane then what's recommended but I wanted to see if it affected the 1500-2000rpm stumble issue at all.

Yes EcoBoost Interceptors were being produced as of March 2014. Not a lot out but Nevada Highway Patrol has bought the most so far.

Thanks for the tip about the Police Explorer's Mapping, I'm going to see if I can get some more info about their tunes.

Finally found an answer

Hello all,

I just found this site and it answers my question well. I just bought the 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with all of the bells and whistles and didn't know what fuel to put into it. I will start putting in premium now that I have seen this.

Thanks
:usa:

Welcome to the Forum bauermj.:wavey:
I believe most Sport owners are running regular in their vehicles. That is all I'm using in my Ecoboost MKT.

Peter

Yeah I only put in premium when towing perhaps or if I have leftover premium gas from a race weekend...

Running 93 here for some time now. Besides the huge power increase with my LMS 93 tune, I'm seeing 20% better fuel mileage, while only paying 5% more for the fuel per gallon.

93 is a win win for Sport owners!

Hello all,

I just found this site and it answers my question well. I just bought the 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with all of the bells and whistles and didn't know what fuel to put into it. I will start putting in premium now that I have seen this.

Thanks
:usa:

Running 93 here for some time now. Besides the huge power increase with my LMS 93 tune, I'm seeing 20% better fuel mileage, while only paying 5% more for the fuel per gallon.

I think it might have more to do with the tune as I did not have near that gain with premium if any.

If you do the numbers 20% gain in mpg and 5% gain in cost per gallon break out to be even....

Still I did not get any gain really to make it worth the increased cost. Awesome you did to at least break even with the increased power.

Running premium and will always be in the future. Snappier throttle response for sure with premium. But the biggest reason is I tow frequently, so I just run premium all the time.

I think it might have more to do with the tune as I did not have near that gain with premium if any.

If you do the numbers 20% gain in mpg and 5% gain in cost per gallon break out to be even....

Still I did not get any gain really to make it worth the increased cost. Awesome you did to at least break even with the increased power.
Right now the difference here in cost between regular and premium is 12% on an imperial gallon.

Peter

Yeah that's a tough call. I've read similar stories on the F150 Ecoboost forums for non-tuned trucks. They have a whole thread about when premium actually saves you money. In my case, with 89 (currently $3.43US a gallon), untuned I was getting 15.5 mpg. Tuned with 93 ($3.63US a gallon) I'm seeing 18.5. So I am actually saving a few pennies per mile in the big picture maybe even a whole quarter per fill up! All of that said I'm sure this varies by driving style.... :D

One thing to note, back on the F150 forums, they are saying the factory tune takes awhile to switch the tune to the 93 gas... More than a tank.... They are saying to give it a few tanks of 93 before you judge both the performance and the fuel economy. I don't know if this 2+ tank thing is true, but there should absolutely be a noticeable difference when it adjusts and if you are not seeing that then it probably didn't switch its tuning yet.

Right now the difference here in cost between regular and premium is 12% on an imperial gallon.

Peter

Ouch! What's 93 running up there now?

Ouch! What's 93 running up there now?
Today it is around $6.97 an Imperial gallon which would be about $5.58 a U.S. gallon if I reduce it by 20% since the Imp. gallon is 20% more in volume.
Prices went up last night and I have to fill up today. Not too bad for me though since my last gas purchase was April 28th.

Peter

Today it is around $6.97 an Imperial gallon which would be about $5.58 a U.S. gallon if I reduce it by 20% since the Imp. gallon is 20% more in volume.
Prices went up last night and I have to fill up today. Not too bad for me though since my last gas purchase was April 28th.

Peter

Good thing you all have universal healthcare. I would have a heart attack every time I would go to fill up.

I am panicking now that our gas is pushing $4

Probably have to pull out the sport bikes for the summer and convert the one back from race mode for the street so I can save on money.

good thing you all have universal healthcare. I would have a heart attack every time i would go to fill up.

i am panicking now that our gas is pushing $4

probably have to pull out the sport bikes for the summer and convert the one back from race mode for the street so i can save on money.

lol!

So is there a tune for the 3.5 ecoboost F150 yet? Interested in one for the 2.0 ecoboost in my fusion also?

Thanks for the note

Ajar,

Thanks for the note. I am currently averaging 16.9 MPG and trying to get better.

I am trying to get better gas mileage

Peterk9,

I am trying to get better gas mileage out of mine so I will give the higher octaine gas a shot.

Welcome to the Forum bauermj.:wavey:
I believe most Sport owners are running regular in their vehicles. That is all I'm using in my Ecoboost MKT.

Peter

Sport owners ... What fuel grade do you run?

What fuel type do you use in your sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In Colorado I use 91 octane premium. Dealer delivered the sport to me with regular gas in the tank. I started filling up with premium immediately and noticed a difference in the performance. I am getting custom tunes and they are octane specific at either 87, 89, 91, or 93 octane.

Ran custom tunes in my F150 ecoboost and burned 91 octane with a 91 octane performance tune also. The stock tune on the explorer sport is better than what was on the F150 ecoboost so I am looking forward to see how a custom tune does on the sport ecoboost.

Back