Explorer Sport - fuel? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport - fuel?

What grade of fuel do you use in your Sport?

• Regular 87

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • mid grade 89

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Premium 91-93

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • I use more than one grade

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I'm tuned I have to run Premium

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
I'm currently running 91 octane although I was tempted to try 94 when I filled up a couple of days ago. With the 12 cent per litre discount I get using my Petro Canada card it works out to about the same price as using 87 without the discount.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im tuned with SCT X4 and using Chevron 94....no ethanol

Dealer delivered the sport to me with regular gas in the tank. I started filling up with premium immediately and noticed a difference in the performance.
Exact same thing happened to me.:thumbsup:
huge difference it was night and day.

For those of you with sports running 87, I encourage you to try a tank of 91-93

I've ran both 87 and 93 and couldn't tell you if it made that big of a difference. I ran the 93 for a few months, so the computer had time to learn.

For me to really tell the difference, I'd have to run the 93 for a while, then do a run with the 93 and immediately back that up with an 87 run.

Ford Explorer Sport gasoline

What do you guys use on your sport? Does it really have impact on performance and last longer or run out faster?

explorer sport 2015 - fuel?

Do I really need to use premium gas in the new 2015 explorer sport. I have had numerous cars in the past taht say they need it but really dont the last one was an E350 mercedes that ran just fine on 87 octane

Your owners manual covers this. The short answer is No, you don't have to use premium.

You do not need it.. you will lose about 10% on the HP/TQ by using 87. My recommendation is in the hot summer months to run premium.. in the winter months (I don't know where you are located since you didn't fill that out in your profile), run 87 or 89 if you are concerned about fuel costs.

Love to play devil's advocate though.. if you can afford a $50k vehicle, I don't see why one would choose to not put in the "recommended" fuel.

Do I really need to use premium gas in the new 2015 explorer sport. I have had numerous cars in the past taht say they need it but really dont the last one was an E350 mercedes that ran just fine on 87 octane
Welcome to the Forum dwadd.:wavey:
As the Owner's Guide says, to get top performance you use premium but it will run just fine on 87 as well.
I have also merged your thread with this existing one. Read through it and decide what octane you want to use.
Also, do you still have the Mercedes? If not, it's time to update your profile so it shows 2015 Sport in the margin.

Peter

Owners guide page 196 recommends 87 Octane for EcoBoost. Says Premium is recommended for severe duty use. Doesn't say anything about 93 Octane. Octane levels vary according to location.

You are absolutely correct. Not sure why I stated "93 octane" instead of "premium". I edited by previous post. I use Petro Canada gasoline exclusively. Sunoco (Suncor Energy) took over Petro Canada a few years ago and as a result some of the Sunoco stations were converted to PetroCan. The Ultra 94 is the same as the Sunoco gas but it isn't available at all PetroCan stations. The one I usually go to has 91 as the highest octane and that is what I'm currently using in my MKT.

Peter

I have only used 87 Midgrade in my Sport so far. Will probably try 91 premium when summer roles around. I live in the country though and am not going to drive a lot of miles for a specialty gas in a DD people hauler. Couldn't complete the Poll since none of the options apply.

Fuel costs are not really a big issue for me filling up every 4 - 6 weeks.:D

Peter

It's more about not being duped by gas companies into believing that you need to use high octane - VERY FEW vehicles actually need it.
But the money is a factor - why throw it away :)

I don't think anybody (on this board at least) claims that the Explorer NEEDS high octane fuel. What HAS been said is that the Sport can take advantage of premium fuel to get more power and torque than with regular fuel. So... some people see a benefit in paying a little more money for more vroom.

It's more about not being duped by gas companies into believing that you need to use high octane - VERY FEW vehicles actually need it.
But the money is a factor - why throw it away :)

It's not about being duped. It's about buying a Sport because of the "Sport features" (suspension and engine). If you are going to take a 10% hit on power and not take full advantage of the Sport, then why get it?

My point is that if I'm going to buy a vehicle that is designed and tested on 93 octane, then I plan on putting it in the vehicle.

At approximately a $6 per tank difference in price, that seems ridiculous to complain about $6 and lose performance when you specifically bought a $50,000 Sport. Retarding the timing to compensate for 87 does not mean that it is "designed" for 87.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not about being duped. It's about buying a Sport because of the "Sport features" (suspension and engine). If you are going to take a 10% hit on power and not take full advantage of the Sport, then why get it?

My point is that if I'm going to buy a vehicle that is designed and tested on 93 octane, then I plan on putting it in the vehicle.

At approximately a $6 per tank difference in price, that seems ridiculous to complain about $6 and lose performance when you specifically bought a $50,000 Sport. Retarding the timing to compensate for 87 does not mean that it is "designed" for 87.

Exactly why I run Chevron 94 with no ethanol, plus with a 94 octane tune from SCT its night and day difference for a few bucks a tank.

Back