Ordered............. 11/09/13
begged for vin..... 12/16/13
amazing info from
crystal............... 12/17/13
window sticker.... 1/3/14
build week.......... 1/09/13
est. delivery....... 1/23/13
attempt delivery.. 1/23/13

Help! signed paper saying lease $2000 down, $8500 cash back, and $455 a month for lease.. the 2k down and 8.5k cash back was the total for the trade in for our 2007 honda crv loaded exl ($10500). Got a good interest rate and wanted to finance outright. Now at signing the dealer says they will only give 8500 for the honda.. In the negotiation we were agreed to 10,500 for the honda. so i walked out and they will not return my $500 deposit that they charged day one.. Even if they told us 10500 for our honda to make us happy and hid it in the lease price that is flat out lying.. Any way you can help crystal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered............. 11/09/13
begged for vin..... 12/16/13
amazing info from
crystal............... 12/17/13
window sticker.... 1/3/14
build week.......... 1/09/13
est. delivery....... 1/23/13
attempt delivery.. 1/23/13

Help! signed paper saying lease $2000 down, $8500 cash back, and $455 a month for lease.. the 2k down and 8.5k cash back was the total for the trade in for our 2007 honda crv loaded exl ($10500). Got a good interest rate and wanted to finance outright. Now at signing the dealer says they will only give 8500 for the honda.. In the negotiation we were agreed to 10,500 for the honda. so i walked out and they will not return my $500 deposit that they charged day one.. Even if they told us 10500 for our honda to make us happy and hid it in the lease price that is flat out lying.. Any way you can help crystal?

Off the top of my head your situation is only as good as whatever you say you signed originally when the order was placed. Was that a contract? If you think it was, then that is what this hinges on. If it was a contract, then the dealer can't be changing the terms of that contract at some later date. If they do refuse to honor that contract, at the very minimum, you should be able to get all your money back. At the most, they should be required to sell you the product given the terms of the original contract even if they lose money on it. Not knowing much about the particulars though, I can't but wonder if there is some misunderstanding here? Dealers are not stupid, and don't typically break the law unless they are evil and know they can get away with it. And it's actually not that often that they're both. So look over that original piece of paper very carefully and make sure it says what you think it does.

Since they don't seem to be operating with you in good faith, I don't think you want to deal with them further on an ongoing basis. If you think you have a valid contract from when the order was placed, tell them to just refund your money, or that you'll take them to small claims court. What happens in small claims court will, or course, depend on the paperwork you originally signed. Depending on what that says, they might realize it's a loosing proposition, not want the hassle, and just give you back your money. Also tell 'em you have relayed your experience on an internet forum, and that you hope it stops other people from being mistreated the way you were. Being lambasted in public isn't great for business, but they may not care anyway..

Thanks for the sound advice Virtuual. On a better note my salesman called this morning and apologized for the miss - communication and will honor the original trade in value. Hopefully picking it up tonight. I'm excited and hope all goes well. My salesman is a great guy and genuinely wants us to be happy with the explorer AND the deal we get. I wish I could give him more credit.

Thanks for the sound advice Virtuual. On a better note my salesman called this morning and apologized for the miss - communication and will honor the original trade in value. Hopefully picking it up tonight. I'm excited and hope all goes well. My salesman is a great guy and genuinely wants us to be happy with the explorer AND the deal we get. I wish I could give him more credit.

It sounds like things are going to work out, stonesuperman; be sure to let us know how things go at the dealership. I'm happy to document any feedback you have about your experience; just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership info, and any specifics you'd like me to include.

Crystal

Same happened to me. Ordered early October. Delivered early December.

Dealer, after agreeing to trade in price beforehand, says upon delivery they "unfortunately have to reduce my trade in 500." Really? Mind you, it was spotless. No accidents ever. And even fewer miles than his "guesstimate mileage" he based his trade in value on two months prior.

I went insane. I said cancel the deal. I called them unscrupulous and dishonest. Asked to speak to the manager. I said I don't appreciate the games, cancel the deal. I put my deposit on my AmEx and have never had an issue with them refunding money when the store owner has been dishonest. They are very consumer friendly.

He apologized and returned to original price for trade in. Then, immediately, had the audacity to make sure I wrote "Extremely satisfied" on my Ford owner survey.

I smiled and replied "I guess one doesn't know what happens a month or two from now."

It left a bitter taste for the whole deal, which up until that point was in fact excellent. So rather than try to get word of mouth, good business, they tried to squeeze an extra $500 out of me.
Stay strong. Don't be afraid to walk away. And if you never signed a deal, they have no right to keep your deposit.

And if you signed a deal, they are altering it by offering less $$$, so you have the right to walk away if there changes aren't agreeable.

That's why car salesmen get a bad reputation.

I hope the pickup goes well, and am really glad it seems to be working out. The whole bait n switch experience would tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe it was just a misunderstanding somewhere along the line. I had a great experience with the salespeople when buying my Explorer, but still managed to be slightly tweaked off by the upsell from the finance guy. In the grand scheme of things he was just doing his job, and in some cultures people are offended if you don't haggle with them. So many dealers will certainly use a lot of the common tricks (i.e. their advertised price which includes all the incentives that only a one legged veteran, with no speeding tickets and who is currently enrolled in a College class in biochemistry could qualify for) to try and squeeze a little more out of you, but that shouldn't ever result in you having to storm out of the dealership in disgust. But hopefully that's all done at this point, and I hope the rest of your experience is good, and that you have an awesome time with your new car.

well the dealer was able to come through for me. i have my new explorer sport sitting in the garage waiting out this level 3 snow storm we're having.. but i was able to get enough traction for a few mild holeshots.. it will put you back in your seat.. can't wait to tune it.. i'll start a new happier thread with picks as soon as i get a chance.

well the dealer was able to come through for me. i have my new explorer sport sitting in the garage waiting out this level 3 snow storm we're having.. but i was able to get enough traction for a few mild holeshots.. it will put you back in your seat.. can't wait to tune it.. i'll start a new happier thread with picks as soon as i get a chance.

Excellent, glad it worked out!

I'm with you on the snow storm, was only supposed to be 3 inches but it sure seems like more with all the drifting. Entire driveway was covered with at least a 2 foot drift!

Back