• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Oil Cooler?

adeck2020

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 X XLT 4WD
Do all Explorer Sports come with an oil cooler or is this only included with the towing package? I've read through Ford's brochures/online media and there are conflicting statements. Some places it states an oil cooler comes with the towing package and some places it doesn't.

I'm interested in purchasing a Explorer Sport soon and I will use it for lightweight towing but I would definitely like to have the oil cooler. I will buy one off a lot and add the hitch if the oil cooler is standard. Otherwise I may have to order one with the tow package since none around here seem to have it. I would think Ford would include oil coolers on all the Ecoboost motors but who knows...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do all Explorer Sports come with an oil cooler or is this only included with the towing package? I've read through Ford's brochures/online media and there are conflicting statements. Some places it states an oil cooler comes with the towing package and some places it doesn't.

I'm interested in purchasing a Explorer Sport soon and I will use it for lightweight towing but I would definitely like to have the oil cooler. I will buy one off a lot and add the hitch if the oil cooler is standard. Otherwise I may have to order one with the tow package since none around here seem to have it. I would think Ford would include oil coolers on all the Ecoboost motors but who knows...

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum adeck2020. :wavey:
One thing this Forum has that is very handy in finding some previous posts or threads is a 'Search' function. I found the following thread searching on "oil cooler" in the Explorer Modified forum. I think it may answer your question.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328221&highlight=oil+cooler

Peter

The Explorer Sport doesn't come with an oil cooler, tow package or not. An oil cooler on the Sport would actually ADD more heat to the coolant due to the design used on the N/A 3.5L.

I was under the impression the sport with towing packages had an oil cooler.

Keep in mind though the OEM hitch is rated for 5k lbs. Aftermarket ones are much much lower for this platform, you can't get an aftermarket one to fit up on the expy and get the same 5k rating.

Thanks guys, Ford definitely needs to fix their brochure wording for the Sport Towing package. I think they just copy/pasted it from the other Explorer models.

"The Class III Trailer Tow Package, required for towing with the Explorer, includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, 4- and 7-pin trailer connectors, and engine oil cooler. Enables towing up to 5,000 pounds."

I noticed Ford sells the OEM class III hitch with all the bolts and bumper cover for MSRP $295 PN#BB5Z-19D520-AA. Then add the MSRP $59 OEM harness PN#BB5Z-15A416-A and you have the full OEM towing kit for the Sport for less than from the factory.

The Sport may not come with an oil cooler but the 2.0L EcoBoost definitely comes with an oil cooler. You can not get a tow package with this motor 2.0L and FWD.

The tow package also gives the N/A 3.5L a larger radiator, which the Sport has regardless of Tow Package.

The tow package also gives the N/A 3.5L a larger radiator, which the Sport has regardless of Tow Package.
That was one of the nice things about the Highlanders I had. Regardless of whether or not you ordered the tow package, all the required parts were already there.

Peter

Will it fit a Sport?

Hey all,

Trying to confirm if Ford's OEM hitch BB5Z-19D520-AA will fit a '14 Sport, and if the bumper covers work, look right, etc...

A tech at my dealer is indicating possible problems due to ride height and differences in bumpers?

Sure would like to have the nice factory look on this, anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Trying to confirm if Ford's OEM hitch BB5Z-19D520-AA will fit a '14 Sport, and if the bumper covers work, look right, etc...

A tech at my dealer is indicating possible problems due to ride height and differences in bumpers?

Sure would like to have the nice factory look on this, anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

There are no differences in bumpers and the the ride height has nothing to do with it. If it's the factory hitch, which simply bolts in place of the bumper beam currently on there, it will work. You will however have to trim the lower bumper fascia to allow access to using the hitch.

I don't know what engine you are referring to Riley but they do have an oil cooler. Mine does. This is a picture from fords own parts site showing the cooler in the parts diagram

RenderIllustration.ashx

I don't know what engine you are referring to Riley but they do have an oil cooler. Mine does. This is a picture from fords own parts site showing the cooler in the parts diagram

RenderIllustration.ashx

I am reffering to the one and only engine available in the Sport.

Back