• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Oil Separator

corpflyboy

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Has anyone found an easy to install oil separator for this steed? I have read about fuel and oil mixing in the crank with the eco boosted engines which is common with turbo charged engines.

Any help would be appreciated. Im gonna search the taurus sho pages.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone found an easy to install oil separator for this steed? I have read about fuel and oil mixing in the crank with the eco boosted engines which is common with turbo charged engines.

Any help would be appreciated. Im gonna search the taurus sho pages.
Haven't seen any posts about that issue. Is that the same as an oil bypass filtering system?

Peter

Been thinking about putting one on my sport since all my boost plumbing has oil in it and causes the rubber connectors to slip from where they were intended to be.

fuel & oil mix?

How does fuel get mixed with oil? Is it due to piston ring blow by which is increased for forced induction systems?

I installed an oil separator as part of my supercharger installation because I didn't want oil and sludge from the crankcase going thru the blower rotors.
Separator7.jpg

I assume that's also the reason for installing one on a turbocharged engine.

Ecoboost fumes recycling

I suspect the fuel dilution problem is less due to direct injection than recycling the crankcase fumes instead of burning them. In the case of the Ecoboost engine I guess Ford wanted to reduce emissions and avoid compressor contamination by avoiding burning the fumes. My 2000 Sport has a crankcase breather to reduce the sludge that goes to the engine to be burned.
breather.jpg

Here's what was in mine after 160K miles.
BreatherOld1.jpg

BreatherOld2.jpg

I have never read a Ford recommendation for periodic replacement of the breather and it was deleted on the Mustang SOHC V6 engines and I think on the 3rd generation and later Explorer engines. The output of the breather is routed to the PCV valve and then into the main intake to be burned. I'm convinced that the reason PCV valves fail is due to their accumulation of crankcase sludge. That's why I chose to install my oil separator between the crankcase breather and the PCV valve. I think all engines can benefit from an oil separator but it's more important for supercharged and turbocharged engines. I suspect the reason auto manufacturers do not incorporate them is cost, space and periodic maintenance. Ford does not manufacture it's engines to last more than 10 years or 150K miles without major repairs. The timing chain cassette failures on the SOHC V6 is a prime example. If they did other wise they would not be as cost competitive with other manufacturers. The deterioration of the compressor due to sludge or the engine bearings due to fuel dilution will be gradual and nobody expects a 10 year old vehicle to perform as well as a new vehicle. Since most bearing wear occurs during "dry" engine starts, owners should be installing pre-oilers before worrying about fuel dilution.

Thanks for the reply 2000StreetRod- Im in the process of finding a decent separator and finding out how easily it stays put underneath that POS plastic engine cover/shroud.

Quick search found Mustang guys are running this one with decent results. Little pricey though.

criteria

My search criteria for an oil separator:
1. Sight tube or glass container to be able to determine when full
2. Drain valve
3. Cleanable or replaceable filter
4. Compact size
5. Reasonable cost

Bosch makes a nice one (PN 0-821-303-543):
mkbmlwZf1G3q6Pkf84gbY-w.jpg

But I wanted one with fittings for 3/8" I.D. hose.

My search criteria for an oil separator:
1. Sight tube or glass container to be able to determine when full
2. Drain valve
3. Cleanable or replaceable filter
4. Compact size
5. Reasonable cost

Bosch makes a nice one (PN 0-821-303-543):
View attachment 77263
But I wanted one with fittings for 3/8" I.D. hose.

Thank you for the heads up!

JLT is working on one. Theirs are typically hands down the neatest/cleanest looking setup, and frequently use OEM PCV hard lines so it's a 100% plug and play install taking 15 seconds to install. I have one on my Raptor and my s/c harley truck. As soon as they release the explorer sport one I'll order that as well.

Check out SSI, they have some good stuff for the f150's which may work for the EX.

Back