Explorer Sport purge valve location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport purge valve location?

Mark Vernon

Reaction score
City, State
BONDURANT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Okay...the only schematic I can find on parts.ford.com for the vapor canister purge valve is NOT for the ecoboost engine. Can someone help me find where this thing is located? I cannot for the life of me find it under the hood. Have a reoccurring P144 code and one cause is a stuck/bad purge valve. Have the valve in hand but ...well see above. Thanks for any help

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look under the engine cover.

I am beside myself. I've scoured this site and the web, looked at all the videos, bought a repair manual and still cannot find this thing in my engine. Have the engine cover off, have the part in had to replace and everything I see and read makes it look so simple to find but for the life of me I cannot find it in this car.

It's a 2015 sport and I'm almost 100% certain it's the 3.5 L ecoboost twin turbo injection engine. Can anyone send me a picture of exactly where this item is? Appreciate any help!

Yeah, I've certainly done a cursory image search. Also, your link shows no pictures so not all that helpful.

It seems the the '15 Sport engine config is a little different from the other models which is why I may be having a hard time finding it. If anyone has an actual picture to the location I'd really appreciate it!

The purge valves for the N/A and Ecoboost are different. Did you possibly buy the wrong one and that's why you can't match it up? It should be right there under the engine cover area.

The purge valves for the N/A and Ecoboost are different. Did you possibly buy the wrong one and that's why you can't match it up? It should be right there under the engine cover area.

Thanks for the reply. So I bought what YouTube videos, autozone and AAP all said I needed which is this:

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

However, I can’t find this part anywhere under the hood. Similarly, found this post about a similar engine (I assume) which looks like they had a similar experience and needed to look for a different part:

Canister Purge Valve on 2015 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost

The whole reason I’m doing this is be check engine light is on and paperwork from Ford dealer says “Purge valve” needs replaced. So, yes do I simply need to look for a different part? Any thoughts on what is is exactly?

That advance auto link is for the the 3.5 N/A motor. I THINK you want this for the 3.5 ecoboost.
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS CP826

If it helps, I believe this is what you want. It is located on the back side of the engine under the "ecoboost" cover. I have a 11 SHO and am replacing the purge valve on that as well. A WORD OF CAUTION! Try to get the part number off of this piece and order the same one. Apparently, the connector near the firewall/windshield is different sizes for different years (perhaps a running change or model year change?). My 11 SHO is a bigger, white-ish connector. Some of the new parts have a smaller black connector that won't fit.

It's a 10 minute job to replace if you have the part with the correct connectors.

Wondering if the OP figured it out. I personally dont need one but am curious what he exactly needs and if he found it.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the location?? I have a 2017 Explorer Sport and ran into the P144C error. I have bought the same part which is what I was told I needed.

I am unable to find any videos and/or diagrams regarding the engine layout.

Did you ever find it? I'm in the exact same situation

2016 explorer xlt with same code and cannot find the purge valve.
Did you have any luck?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if the member you quoted is still following this thread. That was his one and only post (Jan. 2). Perhaps someone may have the info.

Peter

Okay...the only schematic I can find on parts.ford.com for the vapor canister purge valve is NOT for the ecoboost engine. Can someone help me find where this thing is located? I cannot for the life of me find it under the hood. Have a reoccurring P144 code and one cause is a stuck/bad purge valve. Have the valve in hand but ...well see above. Thanks for any help

Mark
For the sport (3.5 ecoboost), the related code would be P144c and the valve assembly is part # DG1Z-9G271-B. When you remove the engine cover, you will note its held on by three vertical studs. The valve assembly is right behind the back two studs and is very easy to get to. The valve assembly is the blue AND yellow parts in the attached pic and you should be able to see the two vertical studs I'm talking about.

n0148753_580.jpg

Could a bad purge valve on a Sport cause some low-speed bucking, as in 2-3 mph when creeping through a parking lot, or after backing out of the driveway and give light throttle forwards, it bucks a few times then smooths out. Mine has always done that, but no codes thrown.

creeping through a parking lot, or after backing out of the driveway and give light throttle forwards, it bucks a few times then smooths out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

creeping through a parking lot, or after backing out of the driveway and give light throttle forwards, it bucks a few times then smooths out.
Which vehicle do you have? Difficult to try and analyze if we don't know what you are talking about. I doubt it's your BMW.

Peter

Back