explorer sport trac super charger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer sport trac super charger

Hey guys,
I been researching super charger for my explorer sport trac 01.

After hours of reading I believe can used m90 (super coupe) super charger if I can get custom intake manifold made is this correct(dad machinist)
plan to run 8 to 10 psi boost

other items I am going to need
25# fuel injector
intercooler and duct work
boost valve
high flow fuel pump
new spark plugs
supercharger
and the tool to do it

with m90 does that need a oil line run or self contained.
thanks for your time,

tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a DYI kit using the m90, there is some one on RPS selling there kit. i would go over there and look at some stuff. there are a lot of rangers using that kit over.

The Eaton uses a self contained oil system.

Tom
Please note the M62 is marginal at best, the M90 (you mentiond) will give you the boost you are looking for. But if I were going to take on a project like this I would look into a M112. If I am not mistaken this is becoming more common everyday with the Ranger crowd. The M112's are cheap and abundant, especially if your dad is a machinist I would lean toward this direction. These little 4.0's move some air + to boot the you won't be spinning the M112 as fast so the IAT's will be lower and the efficiency of the blower better. Make sure when you design the intake manifold you have with a provision for the intercooler (just like the Cobra and Lightning). Dont forget your support hardware (MAF, injectors (25#ers will never support the boost you are looking at) & pump).-j

hey,
thanks guys for the quick replies.After further reading I only want to add 5.5 to 6 psi of boost. blk mk8 I am trying to keep this project cheap as possible so I rather go parts hunting to save money.That is why I want to use the Eaton 90 then m112. From my reading I don't need a new fuel pump and inter cooler with the lower boost. is this correct?

will 32lbs work or higher? and is this item you can pick up at the junk yard or should get them new.

will stock explorer sport Trac 01 throttle body?If not what size and any donor cars have it.
with the MAF Lighting I need to get the MAF and fuel Injectors tuned does any know of place In NJ and estimated cost.

how much does a supercharger decrease mpg and can I just regular gas with the lower boost?

thanks guy for your time to read. I spend about 10 hours of reading over last couple of days but I having a hard time getting direct answers to my application,
Tom

update

update I got a m112 off gt 500 2007 for 300 dollars the madness starts mock up the fit for custom intake manifold and it look sweet pics soon!
since this project is low budget. I am trying to figure out bare minimum I need to do right now and then add on in the up coming months, without doing damage to my motor.

6 pounds of boost and low budget is the goal. I want to show people that you can sc you truck for under 2gs

must upgrade
fuel injectors?
(will 25 lbs support 6 pounds of boost if not what size do I needs I heard a lot of different numbers.)
lighting mass air
reprogramming
cool air intake

do I need any these right away??
intercooler
cobra throttle body
fuel pump

I am missing anything?

jah81592 It took me this long to finally know what you mean. I think that is going to be extreme hard to do since the limit on space.

and does any one know about where to get these parts at a bargain?
thanks guys
tom

sweet man good luck on the project I need to keep my eyes out for an m112 as well.

As for how much they decrease gas mileage well that all depends on amount of horse power and driving style. Driving driving lightly with a good tune youight get just about thesame as you are now. But put your foot in it and the gas will go by by.

Tom,
25# injectors will never work with the boost you are looking at. I recommend at the min 42#ers. Believe me I have been this route before. I have a set of 30# injectors from my truck which wouldn't even support 6psi of turbocharged boost ( may work with a super but I doubt it, because it produces less boost). I cannot emphasize even though on a budget don't skimp on this area (support hardware). It will be the difference between damaging the engine and having success. I would purchase a good set of 42# injectors (this will give you plenty of room) and a NEW maf meter. I have a new Lightning meter for sell if you are interested. I will let it go for $100.00 shipped. If you don't do anything else correct make sure your injectors are sized properly, fuel pump (which will be needed) and MAF meter-the most important sensor on a Ford are all done with good thoughts and not bargain. These simple pieces have been known to make ones life a living hell.

Please note that you need a cushion in all your injectors, MAF meter and fuel pumps. You never want to run any of these items at 100% duty cycle,hence my reasoning for recommending the hardware I did. Ideal duty cycles are to run all the pieces at max 80% duty cycle. This will give you plenty of room and the system will be more stable. If you have any questions feel free to email. I would like to go into more detail.

The tuning is a whole different area! This combo won't tune out (remotely) in a day. I could get it running and driving in an afternoon but it would take a few pulls to get the wot nailed and a few logs to get the driveability perfect. Happy Modding!:usa: :)

Thanks man for you help make life a lot easier then reading for 8 hours to get the same answer.
Are the fuel injector universal like can I use mustang /other ford trucks injectors?
Ill let you know about the MAF definitely interested just not that far into the project custom manifold is going to take some time. If you have it in a couple of weeks I will buy it.

The m112 replaces the whole upper manifold and pelium from my understanding (I don't know how to spell it)

WoT wide open throttle right?:)

fuel pump I need min of 225 right?
thanks for looking
tom

p.s. I will have pictures of the mock up later today to show you guess how sick it looks.

wish I had a machinist at my disposal!

While you have the engine out you might swap the rod hardware for some ARP stuff for a little insurance. Maybe even bearings if you up to it. Their not expensive.

hey

yea but I might not use him since he is extremely busy I might just make one out of abs, I dont believe I am TAKING THE motor out!

I dont care about the rods that much by next summer project is a 4.6 or 5.0 v8 I am trying to be cheap olny the vital to get the project up and working then add on to it

tom

Ah ok.

Thanks man for you help make life a lot easier then reading for 8 hours to get the same answer.
Are the fuel injector universal like can I use mustang /other ford trucks injectors?
Ill let you know about the MAF definitely interested just not that far into the project custom manifold is going to take some time. If you have it in a couple of weeks I will buy it.

The m112 replaces the whole upper manifold and pelium from my understanding (I don't know how to spell it)

WoT wide open throttle right?:)

fuel pump I need min of 225 right?
thanks for looking
tom

p.s. I will have pictures of the mock up later today to show you guess how sick it looks.

Yes the injectors are universal for most Ford vehicles. One main item you will want to concentrate on will be the actual injector wiring harness connector. There are two main differende connectors that you encounter. The Ev1 connectors are more rectangular/boxy shaped. The Ev6 connector is more square and has round-ish edges. I forget what your ST has so you will need to know that before getting injectors. If you find that you have the EV1 clips then get the Lightning green top 42's. If you find that you have the EV6 clips then get some used Cobra blue 39's.

The M112 will replace everything above the heads. The intake manifold, vacuum accessories and so on. You will need to make a custom lower plenum to bolt to your heads and attach the supercharger. Then you will also need to make the upper plenum which will house allot of your vacuum accessories and will also have to mount your TB too.

yea but I might not use him since he is extremely busy I might just make one out of abs,

What do you mean by "make one out of abs"?

yeah I seriously doubt abs is going to be able to handle the stress that the belt
tension is going to be puting Down.

Another direction to go is to mount the sc along side the engine, like a centrifugal sc and
Run tubing to and from it straight to the current intake manifold You have. This would only require fairly basic welding skills. Just be sure to put the throttle body and maf BEFORE the supper charger.

Search on Google for pics of eatons on mustangs and you'll find what I'm talking about. I'd post you a few pics but I can't with my phone.

Help? Powerdyne setup

Hello; The short question, I purchased a powerdyne setup complete except for the alternator bracket. I need help locating one! Anyone have one to sell? Or can give me a clue where to look. This is for a 1997 5.0 gt40p setup. Im dead without this bracket, It is a weird design of the alt setup I would like to find the right and not a made up bracket due to enlignment of serp. belt under load. Thansk, John 4jrfox@sbcglobal.net or 281-451-8884
Houston,TX

Yes the injectors are universal for most Ford vehicles. One main item you will want to concentrate on will be the actual injector wiring harness connector. There are two main differende connectors that you encounter. The Ev1 connectors are more rectangular/boxy shaped. The Ev6 connector is more square and has round-ish edges. I forget what your ST has so you will need to know that before getting injectors. If you find that you have the EV1 clips then get the Lightning green top 42's. If you find that you have the EV6 clips then get some used Cobra blue 39's.

The M112 will replace everything above the heads. The intake manifold, vacuum accessories and so on. You will need to make a custom lower plenum to bolt to your heads and attach the supercharger. Then you will also need to make the upper plenum which will house allot of your vacuum accessories and will also have to mount your TB too.

Rocket-
Two questions
Could you point me in a direction to find out which fuel injector connectors
I have?
Also, do you have a guesstimated price for the custom upper and lower plenum you mention above?

Rocket-
Two questions
Could you point me in a direction to find out which fuel injector connectors
I have?
Also, do you have a guesstimated price for the custom upper and lower plenum you mention above?

Hey bud shoot me an email with a few pictures of varying zoom of your injector harness connectors and I will be able to tell you which ones you have. I am betting that you have the EV6 connectors but it is best to check to make sure.

The price on a custom machined upper and lower will totally depend on who does the work. It will not be cheap. Talk to a local machinist, metal fabrication company, or CNC machinist and tell them what you are looking for and ask the to give you a price. If you talk to the CNC guy you might want to be sitting when they give you an estimate though. Custom work doesn't come cheap. That is why it is so beneficial for a person to be able to do their own work when doing custom projects.

Hey bud shoot me an email with a few pictures of varying zoom of your injector harness connectors and I will be able to tell you which ones you have. I am betting that you have the EV6 connectors but it is best to check to make sure.

K I'll do so.

The price on a custom machined upper and lower will totally depend on who does the work. It will not be cheap. Talk to a local machinist, metal fabrication company, or CNC machinist and tell them what you are looking for and ask the to give you a price. If you talk to the CNC guy you might want to be sitting when they give you an estimate though. Custom work doesn't come cheap. That is why it is so beneficial for a person to be able to do their own work when doing custom projects.

Okay.
Crap.
So are we talking like multiple thousands of dollars here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back