Explorer Sport /w Duff 3" front, Superlift 4" rear leafs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport /w Duff 3" front, Superlift 4" rear leafs

manimal

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Wondering if anyone was running this setup?

I currently have a Duff 3" kit on the front of my '91 Sport, with 4-door leafs in the rear and Duff lift shackles. While the front netted a positive 3" lift, the rear only gained about 1", even after swapping in 4-door leafs (this just made the ride awful) and installing the lift shackles.

I've decided that I don't want to screw with add-a-leafs or additional length shackles, and instead just want to move to a new leaf pack. I'm looking at Superlift 4" leaf pack for the Explorer (part no. 01-194), which I will probably install with the original shackles. I don't mind if there's a little bit of rake, since I often tow and load up the back with stuff, I'd prefer to have a bit of it so that I'm not sagging when loaded down.

I'm aware of F-150 leafs. At this point I just really want to go with new parts.

Just looking for any input from those that may have gone this route.

Thanks,
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bringing this back. Anyone running this combo?

Finding out that each leaf pack was $150 sort of set me back on this idea. I originally thought that was the price for two.

I worked in a set of add-a-leafs several weeks ago, helped a bit but still not at level. I'm looking next to replace the Duff shackles with Warrior shackles. The Duff shackles are 7.5" eye to eye, 8.5" on the warrior - only will net a little over 1/2" but every bit helps.

In fact, are there any shackles compatible with the Explorer that have about a 9.5" eye to eye length, or is this getting too long? I like the stiffness of the rear pack as it is now with the AAL. If I can just correct the height I'll be happy.

$150 for a brand new spring pack is a DEAL.

You probably want the Warriors if you're sticking with your 4-door leafs/AAL combo.

I got a ton of lift on the rear with WAR153's, way over the 1.5" they give on 4-doors, likely due to the slightly lighter body of the Sport. I imagine with a stiffer spring combo and AAL they'd net you even more, around what you're looking for, but it's hard to say as each spring is different, and of course the more weight you have in the back the less lift such things will give.

Just be sure you're running the springs swapped, with the left side leaf now on the right and vice versa, otherwise you'll have body lean, and it can get bad enough that the right rear is so high, it causes the drivers side front tire to scrub on the outer shoulder of the tread.

You could probably make a good bit of your dough back by selling the shackles.
Duff doesn't seem to to sell them outside of a kit so they would be quite a find for someone seeking that ~1 inch lift rather than the higher lift of WAR153s.

You can also get universal shackle kits at the parts store (or online), but 9.5 inches long on two pieces of metal without a bracket in the middle to hold them together seems unsafe to me, due to the forces involved in twisting and flexing of springs. There are people running looong shackles using just two pieces of 3/16-1/4" bar with holes in the end for lift.

However, Warrior does make plenty of longer shackles, and the YJ shackles work for Explorers if you drill the holes out to 14mm / 9/16". I'm running WAR123's for a slight lift and they fit perfect.

The only other alternative I could suggest for ~3" of lift is OME lift springs with the Warriors. They are 1.5" lift springs, though they apparently sag over time, giving more of a 1" lift, but they seem to go okay with the old Duff 2.5" front lift. With a actual 3" front lift, the Superlift 4" springs may be the better choice, not just in price, but over time for the eventual sag in height.

For the money and time spent, I probably would have suggested just dropping the $300 for two new packs rather than getting 4-door springs, an AAL kit, and then shackles, but of course that's in hindsight.

Thanks for the responses.

I agree, $150 per pack is not terrible in retrospect, and I should've paid for it a couple years back, but then I didn't know that the Duff kit was going to end up giving me a little over 3" in the front - way more than I expected. The coils have never really settled either, so I haven't lost a bit of it.

I did swap the springs around after rebuilding the packs, giving the driver's side the taller (and I assume stiffer) of the two packs. Drivers's side is still not equal but I never expect it to be perfect.

I'll give the Warrior shackles a try before I give up and start looking at the Superlift leafs. I can always sell off all the shackles afterwards like you said.

Thanks for the tip on the Copperhead shackles. They don't look quite as well made as the Warrior shackles just from that picture, I think I'd have to see them myself.

Back