• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport

rescue207

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer sport
Hello all I have a 2001 ford explorer sport 2wd 4.0 sohc The problem i am having is that when i first start the vehicle it like its missing runs rough going down the road till it warms up then it stops i have changed plugs plug wires changed out some vacuum hoses. ran codes one was P0303 and P0171 said it was misfiring on cylinder 3. I also cleaned the MAF did not see anything wrong or dirty so Could someone please help me on this Thanks Duane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those symptoms sound like leaking intake manifold gaskets/O-rings. very common on the SOHC engine with age. the problem is the O-rings get stiff and shrink when they get old and don't seal when cold. when the engine warms up the problem can go away because the parts swell just a bit when they get hot.

Thanks koda 2000 I will try that this weekend and see what happens I will keep you posted if that is ok :thumbsup:

if it were the PCV elbow, would the symptoms remain constant and not improve when the engine warmed up?
Good point, and no mention of the other p0174 lean code the PCV elbow usually throws. Sometimes no codes at all.

Extremely high failure rate though, I would guess at least 50% after ten years on the 4.0L SOHC's that have them.

LOL, sorry I did a write up almost word for word to this when I got my 01 4.0 sport. tried everything, finally intake gaskets, and it fixed the issue. good luck.

I have a problem like that but only if the vehicle has been sitting for a fair length of time and it's both cold and humid, then it stops happening after running ~25 seconds.

I'm guessing batt voltage is low (it is lower, I mean cause vs effect), ignition coil isn't generating enough spark for a worn spark plug... only happens once in a blue moon so I put off doing anything about it.

I have a problem like that but only if the vehicle has been sitting for a fair length of time and it's both cold and humid, then it stops happening after running ~25 seconds.

I'm guessing batt voltage is low (it is lower, I mean cause vs effect), ignition coil isn't generating enough spark for a worn spark plug... only happens once in a blue moon so I put off doing anything about it.

could be low battery voltage I guess. low voltage can cause some weird problems with these trucks. an issue when raining/humid could also be plug wires arching, but that wouldn't go away after 25 seconds. my money would be on the intake gaskets/O-rings.

Check your coolant level. If it is low, you have a head leaking. Common symptom is rough running for until the engine warms up so the antifreeze steams/atomizes as it enters the cylinder. What did the plugs look like when you changed them?

could be low battery voltage I guess. low voltage can cause some weird problems with these trucks. an issue when raining/humid could also be plug wires arching, but that wouldn't go away after 25 seconds. my money would be on the intake gaskets/O-rings.

I would suspect that too except that it only happens if it has been left sitting for several days, and even then, unless I need to haul something I may only end up driving it a couple miles to the store every weekend just to get the fluids moving around. I may end up driving it more with gas prices now lower, and of course with winter/snow coming.

Check your coolant level. If it is low, you have a head leaking. Common symptom is rough running for until the engine warms up so the antifreeze steams/atomizes as it enters the cylinder. What did the plugs look like when you changed them?

The plugs looked like they were from the factory nothing left hardly I checked antifreeze its full I'm starting this project 2marrow and let you all know Thanks everyone for their input Thanks Duane

Well I put the intake manifold gasket set in upper and lower and it seemed to work till i started it this morning and it done the same thing but just till it warmed up and it stopped then the check engine light came back on. I did notice the EGR valve pressure sensor was broke on one of the hose outlets would that be the culprit and when i was putting the upper plem back on and one of the bolts would not tighten down so could it be that also I havent ran a scan yet so any help would be appreciated Thanks

Duane

New Problem ex sport 2001 sohc

Ok guy have a new problem now the sputtering stops when warmed up after the intake gasket installed now when it stops i hit a bump in the road it starts it again and yesterday i was driving it on the interstate the check engine light started flashing would anybody have any ideas whats going on now. Thanks for the help

It dont flash all the time seems like when it is going up a big hill or it doesnt smell like anything burning

I forget, which light flashes when the gas tank is empty or fuel level sensor is malfunctioning?

That would be the check gauge light comes on mine when it gets low on fuel

Ok run a new scan on it it is now saying P0303 and P0171 can anybody help me on this why am i still getting misfire on cylinder 3 it has me stumped checked the plug wires and all that seems like it runs fine till i hit a bump then it starts running rough again If i wasnt bald i would be pulling my hair out LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ran codes one was P0303 and P0171 said it was misfiring on cylinder 3.
Same codes as before. Were they cleared after your attempted repairs? They will remain in the computer's memory until a number of cycles. Check plug and wire #3 since they are the most difficult to access and most likely to be damaged. I've read many times of a cracked #3 porcelain or tweaked wire or connection because of the difficulty reaching them. Was the damaged EGR fixed?

Back