Explorer Sports 2015 Headlight Upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sports 2015 Headlight Upgrade

Sunny32_1967

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
After taking my explorer for a spin on 4000 mile track which involved driving in the night on I80 WY, ID and then the horribly dark forests of Mt. Shasta while driving to Reno, I realized that the Stock Headlights were no match to my earlier vehicles. I didn't want any customization HID done to my ExSport, so decided to take a plunge in for Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlight bulb-2-pack-9005 from Advance Auto Parts for $49.99. Got it replaced by PepBoys since I was unable to twist the damn bulb holder counter clock-wise by myself. The passenger side was easy but driver side..uhh.

Anyways Just wanted to share that they are by no means HID but they are a huge improvement over the stock lights. After taking the baby out for a spin in the night, I wanted to share that anyone who is reluctant to upgrade to HID must check out these bulbs. I feel that the coverage and brightness has increased by the factor of at least 30% - 35%. The rated life-span is not comparable to Original stock halogens but I can live with that and change the bulb when needed. At least I will not avoid driving in the night in the dark roads or forests.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some previous members here found them to be a huge improvement as well. Just monitor the heat as a few here also reported high heat conditions causing some lens distortion or clouding.

I know on the police model "Utility" Ford put out a bulletin telling agencies not to use the Wagner replacement halogen bulbs because they had several issues with the heat melting the headlight wiring harness.

I will attach a picture from the bulletin.

PIUtilityHeadlightBulbSLide.jpg

Sgt, You have me worried and rethinking now, if I took a right decision. Any ways to prevent that from happening, other than going back to OEM?

After taking my explorer for a spin on 4000 mile track which involved driving in the night on I80 WY, ID and then the horribly dark forests of Mt. Shasta while driving to Reno, I realized that the Stock Headlights were no match to my earlier vehicles. I didn't want any customization HID done to my ExSport, so decided to take a plunge in for Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlight bulb-2-pack-9005 from Advance Auto Parts for $49.99. Got it replaced by PepBoys since I was unable to twist the damn bulb holder counter clock-wise by myself. The passenger side was easy but driver side..uhh.

Anyways Just wanted to share that they are by no means HID but they are a huge improvement over the stock lights. After taking the baby out for a spin in the night, I wanted to share that anyone who is reluctant to upgrade to HID must check out these bulbs. I feel that the coverage and brightness has increased by the factor of at least 30% - 35%. The rated life-span is not comparable to Original stock halogens but I can live with that and change the bulb when needed. At least I will not avoid driving in the night in the dark roads or forests.

I installed my ZXE's Friday night. 9005's (headlight's) and H11's(Fog's). Drastic improvement. I had them in my Tundra prior. The only thing that sux is they last one year, b/c they burn pretty hot. Shop the sales and stock up. $49 is a good price. I used them in the Yoda for 2 years, no burning issues to report.

Sgt, You have me worried and rethinking now, if I took a right decision. Any ways to prevent that from happening, other than going back to OEM?

I think you're good just monitor it......do a search on here I remember someone showing pictures of some odd scarring on the chrome inside the headlight housing.

I used Philips X-treme Power Bulbs in my '09 Highlander and didn't have any heat issues. Not sure how that headlight fixture compares the one in the Ex.

Peter

Are there after market bulbs worth installing that are an improvement without having to replace them every year?

Thanks Peter, Sarg and Markymark. I assume i can breath easy and take my chances. I am not worried about lasting them an year as I can replace them when needed. I will rather live with the acceptable headlights brightness.

Are there after market bulbs worth installing that are an improvement without having to replace them every year?

Did a lot of research mate. Really either you go for HID customization, or go with these upgrades of Halogens which obviously do not last as long as OEM. Perhaps in future I might go for the complete ford assembly of 2015 Limited HID lights and swap out mine....but it will take some time for me to get convinced to go that route. Also I will need to find the person who can do that for me.

BTW some people had these upgraded Halo's last them for 2 yrs also...and in other case just an year. I guess it all depends upon different usages. In Colorado we do not get DRL on Explorer Sport so I am hoping it might last longer...will see..

Thanks Sarg for the picture. Sgt refreshed me that HIR are even better option (not in light) but longevity but they are very hard to find these days. I believe only Philips and Toshiba make them.

Just replace the stock 9005 bulbs with 9011's. You have to trim one of the tabs to make the 9011's fit. Takes 30 seconds. The 9005s are like 1700 lumens, the 9011's are something like 2350 lumens. Huge difference and costs very little, 9011 bulbs are maybe 20 bucks a pair. This website explains the tab trimming process. http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

Anyone use LED head/fog lights yet in their explorer? I've got a super duty also, and over on those forums the new rage is using LED bulbs. They're supposed to be way better than HID bulbs?

Anyone use LED head/fog lights yet in their explorer? I've got a super duty also, and over on those forums the new rage is using LED bulbs. They're supposed to be way better than HID bulbs?

I'm very interested in knowing as well. I've heard you might need to install somthing that reduces the power feeding them.

I'm waiting on these LED fogs to be in stock. They are H11 with fans built in, plugnplay install.
Brightest are 1420 lumens,
their 510 lumen fog are listed as similair to OEM lumens, so 2 times brighter should be a difference worth trying.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs-1/listed-by-vehicle/ford/explorer.html?application=206

I have also seen the site regarding notching the 9011 bulb and using those instead of 9005 in the headlights,
with minimal heat difference I may try this.

I have Sylvania ZXE 9005s, they are 2 or 3 times brighter but not really a big improvement overall for the price-(Autozone $58-but no hassle returns ...)

-in sh*t weather all the light still gets washed out completely and cant really see with other traffic and rain.

-in normal driving they always get washed out by all other vehicles and streelights, and these streetlights are yellow/orange and oh so lame...

I'm very impressed with Diode Dynamics product and support.

Never heard of them before this forum but I highly recommend them.

I'm waiting on these LED fogs to be in stock. They are H11 with fans built in, plugnplay install.
Brightest are 1420 lumens,
their 510 lumen fog are listed as similair to OEM lumens, so 2 times brighter should be a difference worth trying.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs-1/listed-by-vehicle/ford/explorer.html?application=206

I have also seen the site regarding notching the 9011 bulb and using those instead of 9005 in the headlights,
with minimal heat difference I may try this.

I have Sylvania ZXE 9005s, they are 2 or 3 times brighter but not really a big improvement overall for the price-(Autozone $58-but no hassle returns ...)

-in sh*t weather all the light still gets washed out completely and cant really see with other traffic and rain.

-in normal driving they always get washed out by all other vehicles and streelights, and these streetlights are yellow/orange and oh so lame...

Lookerduker,

I agree that in rainy weather the Sylvania ZXE wash out still. I guess I can not really expect it to be as efficient as the car's with 4 headlamps due to this idiotic headlight design by Ford. When you talk about 9011 bulbs, i suppose you are referring to 9011 Philips/HIR1 bulbs. I have also placed an order for them as apparently they are 2300 Lumens compared to 1700 lumens of Sylvania ZXE or OEM. I am supposed to receive them by end of this week so will see how that goes. I am not in to white color light, just want my lights better.

Just replace the stock 9005 bulbs with 9011's. You have to trim one of the tabs to make the 9011's fit. Takes 30 seconds. The 9005s are like 1700 lumens, the 9011's are something like 2350 lumens. Huge difference and costs very little, 9011 bulbs are maybe 20 bucks a pair. This website explains the tab trimming process. http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

This!!

Yep, those are HIR1/9011 to go in 9005 with a top plastic trimming. I have ordered the same ones however from a different seller.

Hi guys,

Any opinion on using 55W instead 35W on the HID bulbs? Was thinking of changing my factory HID D3S bulbs out for the 55W ones. I just thought I'd keep the bulb questions on one thread.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fog lamps

Pretty pitiful light output from the fogs, I have the HID headlamps on the Limited they are fine, but the fog lights are a joke. I would be interested in hearing about a LED replacement for them or a better solution than the stock bulbs.

TBill

Back