• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Explorer ST Borla Exaust installed

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Got the S-Type exhaust on today.

impressions-
build quality on point as expected from borla.

S-Type sound is the right choice in my humble opinion. Raised the volume enough to be present but not overbearing for an SUV. Deepened the tone dramatically which is what I wanted. The Atak seemed too raspy to me and reminded me of the raptor which is not what I wanted at all.

the look alone was worth it getting rid of the only chrome on the car and replacing those tiny faux tipped pipes. Zero Drone

highly recommended.

13929D23-A442-471E-A5FA-5AB28A36BA63.jpeg
8EF6246A-7084-4500-84BD-23C00207599A.jpeg
FBF2E1BF-7163-425A-848C-6FEB69680207.jpeg
BF5B840E-FD12-4FCA-BF57-A75DD792EED2.jpeg
5836C682-8B6D-4080-96C8-4837B5E84D78.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

DMG632

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Looks good!

Damir

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
What is the sound like on the inside? Kind of on fence due to fears of a constant booming, droning, sound while cruising or if the car is low rpm load like uphill, heavy loaded, and such.
Our 2015 Ford Explorer Sport, its stock exhaust has a slight rumble that is audible on the outside while idling, and decent sound while flooring it. The ST sounds like nothing, kind of disappointed. The piped in sound through the speakers feels cheap.
Also, curious what the 2020 Platinum sounds like, it has an adaptive valve on the exhaust? Is that right? I assumed that the exhaust and the power train (besides factory tune) is the same.

Last edited:

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Sounds good. Just audible enough inside to know the exhaust is there. Zero drone which is what borla specializes in. Can’t speak to the platinum

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
The 2.7 in my Fusion Sport is quiet, very quiet. The fake engine sound is interesting, but not mandatory. I added a Turbosmart diverter and it made the engine growl a lot more. The girlfriend's first reaction was that she noticed the car was just growling like it was mad. Every aftermarket exhaust for the 2.7 just makes it sound like a ricer, so I've kept it stock. My plan is to keep the 3.0 stock on the ST.

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Just an FYI for those doing a borla exhaust - the tips are positioned so close together they collect tiny rocks like CRAZY! And only a pressure washer gets them out. Design flaw for sure for early adapters. I’ve notified borla maybe they eventually figure out a fix.

Damir

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I've been looking up videos on the Borla Exhausts, definitely the S type would sound to loud for my taste. Looking for something that has low rumble. I know that one of the inherent downsides of a v6, but my sister-in-laws x5 bmw that she had, was a v6 as well, and had a nice sound to it. So, it is it can be done.
I'll guess I'll just stick to stock for now...

JimST

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Got the S-Type exhaust on today.

impressions-
build quality on point as expected from borla.

S-Type sound is the right choice in my humble opinion. Raised the volume enough to be present but not overbearing for an SUV. Deepened the tone dramatically which is what I wanted. The Atak seemed too raspy to me and reminded me of the raptor which is not what I wanted at all.

the look alone was worth it getting rid of the only chrome on the car and replacing those tiny faux tipped pipes. Zero Drone

highly recommended.

View attachment 178985 View attachment 178986 View attachment 178987 View attachment 178988 View attachment 178989
Looks great! Only complaint is that they didn’t make the muffler cans black! Guess that wouldn’t be a problem doing it yourself before install.