• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST - oil pan design?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
For those that have the Explorer ST with the 3.0, can you check to see what type of oil pan you have? Is it black plastic with a yellow drain plug? Or is it aluminum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I recommend keeping an eye on the pan for leaks. Ford hasn't resolved the leakage issue yet on the 2.7/3.0 plastic pans, and other engines that use the plastic pans. The 3.5 truck engines have gone back to aluminum last I heard because they couldn't resolve the issue either.

This was covered in another thread. Haven’t changed mine yet but it matches these pics.

Thanks. It sounds like Ford fixed the leaking problems. The filter is the same as the older 2.7/3.0 EcoBoosts like on my Fusion Sport (easy peezy to change). Nonetheless I recommend inspecting every corner of your oil pan each time you perform an oil change to keep an eye on it.

My servicing dealer changes my oil for $25. I provide the Mobil 1 5W30 full syn and Mobil 1 filter. If it starts marking it's territory like my old Harley, I'll know in short order. Not to worry, it's under warranty.
clapping%20smilie.gif

There are 2.7/3.0 owners who have had the oil pan replaced/fixed multiple times under warranty. It gets pretty old fast as they need to let the RTV cure for several days (not hours) to ensure it seals each time. Hopefully they really fixed it on the ST.

There was a TSB for 2.7L F-150s Built on or before 21-May-2019 to replace the oil pans with with a new oil pan equipped with a press-in-place gasket. So probably the 2020 Explorer has the new new oil pan design.

There was a TSB for 2.7L F-150s Built on or before 21-May-2019 to replace the oil pans with with a new oil pan equipped with a press-in-place gasket. So probably the 2020 Explorer has the new new oil pan design.
Say what ? Just how does the op on a 2.7L F-150 equate to the 3.0L in an ST Explorer ?
:wtf:

The 3.0 is basically the 2.7 with different turbos and more displacement. Its also why they share the same oil filter.

Say what ? Just how does the op on a 2.7L F-150 equate to the 3.0L in an ST Explorer ?
:wtf:

Because Ford's 3.0 Ecoboost's design is derived from the 2.7 Ecoboost design. So one would expect they share similar design elements. For example, the transverse version of the 2.7 & 3.0 Ecoboost engines both share the same Oil Pan p/n.

Edit:
Same oil pan ?

I don't know if the Explorer's 3.0 & F-150's 2.7 share the same Oil Pan, it could be similar to the Transverse 2.7 & 3.0. Or not if packaging doesn't permit it. But their basic design would be similar.

The F-150s and transverse 2.7s were 99.9% the same up until 2017? or whenever Ford went to split-injection on the trucks. They shared the same engine internals, etc... but the turbo packaging and oil pan orientation was obviously different. The 3.0 debuted on the Lincolns (MKZ and Continental). I don't believe the Explorer ST is split injection, so it probably has a lot more in common with the transverse 3.0s than the current pickup 2.7. The oil pans may differ with the transverse based on the drain plug location, but the sealing surface design is the same.

I have heard of Fusion Sports getting their pans resealed/replaced recently where the dealer said there was a new design that they are not using as replacements until the old design is consumed.

FWIW the stock turbos on the Explorer ST are amazing based on their compressor map. Not surprised at all when they are running low 12s when tuned.

Back