• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST vs Palisade Limited

Jason918

Reaction score
City, State
Flower mound
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Tesla 3 Performance
My wife and I are comparing these two vehicles. Has anyone else cross shopped these two? I like that the explorer ST has a bit more power but the Palisade limited seems a little more luxurious. Has anyone been having a hard time deciding or what made you purchase your Explorer ST vs another vehicle? I am also wanting to know about the long term reliability. It seems that the explorer has already had quite a few recalls?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Jason. :)
I think you will find that most if not all ST owners bought the vehicle for its power. BTW, the Aviator has the same engine. Yes, the Explorer has had several recalls, TSB and other correction notices. The transmission seems to be a big problem at the moment. I suggest that you browse through the forum check out the various threads. Both the Palisade and its KIA partner are still fairly new so long-term reliability has yet to be proven.
I think a more fair comparison would be with the Platinum.

Peter

I wanted to drive a Palisade Limited 4X4 before I purchased the 2020 Platinum. The local dealer could not tell me when they were going to get one in. Looks like their in better supply at this point. Let us know what you finally do.
TBill

Draws of the Explorer ST to me: power, rear-biased AWD, firm suspension, tech, and exterior looks. I was willing to overlook the acceptable, although clearly cheap, interior, and the odd elevated floor of the 3rd row. Almost everything else is comparable but probably a little better in the Palisade. And if it were me, I'd take a Telluride over the Palisade any day, especially the Black package.

Draws of the Explorer ST to me: power, rear-biased AWD, firm suspension, tech, and exterior looks. I was willing to overlook the acceptable, although clearly cheap, interior, and the odd elevated floor of the 3rd row. Almost everything else is comparable but probably a little better in the Palisade. And if it were me, I'd take a Telluride over the Palisade any day, especially the Black package.
Telluride & Palisade are the same vehicle.

If there was not an ST trim I would have bought the Telluride/Palisade. The Telly beats Explorer is almost every feature IMO. Electroic child locks, HUD (if you get that option), and usb ports in 3rd row. It's just slow(er) lol than the ST. I care about speed more than features so I went with the ST. Also, it was either $9k off the ST or pay full price for a Telly.

If there was not an ST trim I would have bought the Telluride/Palisade. The Telly beats Explorer is almost every feature IMO. Electroic child locks, HUD (if you get that option), and usb ports in 3rd row. It's just slow(er) lol than the ST. I care about speed more than features so I went with the ST. Also, it was either $9k off the ST or pay full price for a Telly.

Yes, I would get the palisade if it was a bit faster and had a version with nearly 400 HP. 60k was my limit on this vehicle so I could not really get into any faster AND nicer luxury vehicles and this was a good fit it seemed. I was doing reading on the recalls and wonder if it would be best to wait until the 2021 Explorer ST is out here very soon (i assume i would either get a better deal on a 2020 or get a 2021 with some of the potential issues worked out). Is the transmission issue a big deal that affects a ton of the vehicles? I would not want to buy the sport one and be pounding on it all day and have the transmission mess up.

They look completely different. That was my point.

I agree, I love the black package on that one. My wife likes the Palisade more though so we are trying to decide between the best Palisade or the more sporty/aggressive all black ST. I just want to make sure whichever we get we make the right decision and dont run into any issues since we just had our first child and plan on having this vehicle for awhile. I also wanted the fun factor since im getting rid of my performance model 3 for the SUV we end up deciding on.

My suggestion Jason, would be to take each one for a test drive before making your final decision. Only then will you know which is the right one for you. The ST by its very nature has a stiffer suspension so you should take that into account too.

Peter

Yes, I would get the palisade if it was a bit faster and had a version with nearly 400 HP. 60k was my limit on this vehicle so I could not really get into any faster AND nicer luxury vehicles and this was a good fit it seemed. I was doing reading on the recalls and wonder if it would be best to wait until the 2021 Explorer ST is out here very soon (i assume i would either get a better deal on a 2020 or get a 2021 with some of the potential issues worked out). Is the transmission issue a big deal that affects a ton of the vehicles? I would not want to buy the sport one and be pounding on it all day and have the transmission mess up.

If I were you I would get a 2021 one. I THINK they got rid of some sensors that causes errors and corrected the transmission leakage. The ST suspension is rough, so do test drive it and see if your wife is okay with it.

Also, it is easy to say the ST is faster, but the truth is, overall performance is much better. With the street pack, brakes are really solid and stops much shorter than a Palisade. Easily the best brakes I've had on any car I've owned. You look at skid pad numbers... much better with the ST. To me, speed and braking means safety.

To me it comes down to do you want to have fun driving? If you don't value that, I'd probably go telluride. To me, as someone who won't be able to get my mustang for awhile, the ST is my next vehicle. Just waiting for sync 4.

I bought an Explorer XLT, my brother bought a Telluride. With the Explorer you are paying for the drivetrain, and sacrificing some luxury features (similar to the Durango). The Telluride/Palisade has more features but a transverse drivetrain (like a Highlander). The Explorer makes this sacrifice to remain in this price point. Obviously the Aviator has it all—but then it is competing with the X5 and Cayenne.

If you are truly shopping the ST then idk why you would even consider the Palisade. Durango SRT would be the only competitor.

But if performance isn’t an issue, I think the Palisade and Telluride are great vehicles.

I am also wanting to know about the long term reliability...
... I would not want to buy the sport one and be pounding on it all day and have the transmission mess up.

Neither vehicle is going to have long term reliability pounding on it all day. Even a sports car built for this will get ragged out.

My wife and I are comparing these two vehicles. Has anyone else cross shopped these two? I like that the explorer ST has a bit more power but the Palisade limited seems a little more luxurious. Has anyone been having a hard time deciding or what made you purchase your Explorer ST vs another vehicle? I am also wanting to know about the long term reliability. It seems that the explorer has already had quite a few recalls?

I bought a grey Explorer ST in June after deliberating between that and the Kia Telluride SX. I did look at the Palisade as they are easier to find on lots but I didn’t really like the style.

After test driving the Telluride SX I really liked it. I think the interior fit and finish is immaculate. The exterior style is also very striking. The only downside for me really was the power. I had an Edge Sport that I was trading in and I didn’t want to downgrade as far as the ability to drive, “enthusiastically”. If power is not atop your priority list, you’d be hard pressed to find a better value than a Palisade/Telluride.

Now, if they tune a Kia Stinger engine and throw it in a “sport” version in either of those vehicles in the near future, good night.

As far as how I feel about the ST, I love it. I love the way it looks and the way it drives is phenomenal. I did have to have the transmission COMPLETELY replaced after about 4K (it was a demo with 2k when I got it) though as it started shifting abnormally. Since then have had no other issues.

IMO, I think the Kia/Hyundai is the overall better value and vehicle. But if performance is high on your list, the ST is much more fun to drive.

Support an American business, American investors and workers or South Koreans?

If you're still comparing a Kia to a Ford after answering that question, you deserve the quality what you get.

By far go with the Palisade. I had a hard time saying goodbye to Ford but I had enough with exhaust filled cabin every time I accelerated my 2018 EX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Support an American business, American investors and workers or South Koreans?

If you're still comparing a Kia to a Ford after answering that question, you deserve the quality what you get.

The wife and I really wanted to buy a new SUV and we looked at both the ST and the high end Explorer (I think it's the platinum but I don't recall).

Drove both the Explorers and were disappointed to see that adjustable pedal option are is longer offered (according to the dealer). So with the extremely sloped back A pillar, for my wife who is short she has to move the seat very far forward to reach the pedals. The A pillar is less than six inches from the side of her forehead. An that does not even take into account making somebody sit that dangerously close to the steering wheel air bag. How could a vehicle that was pushing $60k have less important options than the previous generations? An yes I down own primarily USA made vehicles, 3 of which have adjustable pedals....2016 F350, 2005 Excursion, 2009 Dodge Viper. My 2007 F350 also had adjustable pedals.

The other issue with the new Explorer is it has some of the worst blind spots money can buy. SUV's don't all have to look like eggs with sloped back windows and hatches. I can't wait to see how the new Ford Bronco's interior is and real world ergonomics.

The Palisade rode so smooth, I thought it was on air ride suspension, very impressed....but I cannot get over the front end that looks like crap. The Telluride looks much better, but not as fancy with the options as the Palisade. Throw in a very small V8 or twin turbo V6 in either of these units and it's game over....they are both that good. They were in such high demand, we had to go to 3 or 4 dealerships just to find one that was not spoken for. All of this was just before Covid, so I haven't been car shopping since the lockdown.

Back