Explorer stalls after driving few miles / warm weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer stalls after driving few miles / warm weather

tclark228

Reaction score
City, State
Gulf Coast, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6. I bought it back in January and it drove fine all through Winter and now that it has warmed up it is giving me a big issue.

After driving down the road for 5-10 minutes the car will start to act like it is no longer getting gas and will sputter to a stop. After pulling over the engine still turns over and it will sometimes halfway start but it rumbles at very low rpm as if there is not enough gas getting to the plugs and then shuts off. After letting it sit for an hour or so it will start back up but do same thing a few miles down the road. As I said it has only happened when warm weather. It starts up and runs fine when it is cool outside. I have had the fuel filter and fuel pump replaced and the problem is still there. I have checked the inertia switch and its wiring and there is no problem there. Could anyone help me figure out what may be going wrong? Could it be ignition coil? ECU? I am stumped. These 2005 explorers are worse than owning a boat.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have an Explorer (waiting to get a 2016), but your problem sounds like a problem I recently had with my 2007 F150. The truck would buck and lurch occasionally, without setting any diagnostic codes, then finally it died, resulting in a P0191 code. I could drive it a couple of miles, then it would die again. After waiting 10 minutes, I might be able to drive it a half mile or so.

The problem, as I found out from the P0191 code, was the fuel pump driver module (FPDM). On the F150, the FPDM is mounted to a frame crossmember, and it gets very corroded, exposing the electronics inside. I replaced the FPDM with a Dorman replacement, and the truck worked fine right away.

I don't know where the FPDM is located on an Explorer, or if this could be a part of your problem, but I thought I'd share my experience. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't.

I don't believe the 2005 Explorer has one of those. Was your car only doing it in warm weather? Would it crank right after but only at like 3000rpm and then stall when you pressed gas?

BTW thanks for helping out

I don't know if it was necessarily related to warm weather, but my issue occurred after a winter warm up (Minnesota), resulting in lots of water on the roads. I think driving through puddles, etc. caused water to splash up into the FPDM, which was corroded.

After it died, I found that many times when I tried to start the engine, the revs would go to maybe 400 rpm, and it wouldn't start. If I waited a while longer, I could get the engine up to about 1000 rpm, and I could drive it the half mile or so.

Thanks for the info man but my car doesn't have a fuel pump driver module. I'm wondering what the equivalent may be on a 2005 EB 4.0.....

Anyone ???.....

I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6. I bought it back in January and it drove fine all through Winter and now that it has warmed up it is giving me a big issue.

After driving down the road for 5-10 minutes the car will start to act like it is no longer getting gas and will sputter to a stop. After pulling over the engine still turns over and it will sometimes halfway start but it rumbles at very low rpm as if there is not enough gas getting to the plugs and then shuts off. After letting it sit for an hour or so it will start back up but do same thing a few miles down the road. As I said it has only happened when warm weather. It starts up and runs fine when it is cool outside. I have had the fuel filter and fuel pump replaced and the problem is still there. I have checked the inertia switch and its wiring and there is no problem there. Could anyone help me figure out what may be going wrong? Could it be ignition coil? ECU? I am stumped. These 2005 explorers are worse than owning a boat.

Crank shaft sensor

could be dirt in the gas tank...fuel pump siphoning dirt over the intake screen blocking fuel flow when running. Moves off when shut off allowing restart...but again blocking intake later. Similar circumstance in my college days with a '63 Ford Fairlane...did a lot of walking that winter

Back