• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Steering Box Adjustment

recondude

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 2x4
My 93 Ford Explorer has a slight knock when turning the steering wheel from one direction to the other. This is a very light sound, and can only be heard if stopped.
I was just told that these steering boxes are adjustable. I looked it up in our service manual, and there is a section on meshload for power steering gear. It goes through a process of removing the pitman arm, then disconnecting lines, and using an inch pound torque wrench to adjust the load so that the torque over center is less than 10 in-lbs over the torque to go to center from 45 deg from right stop. I'm aware that this is probably vague.
Anyways, has anyone ever adjusted this meshload? If so, does this slight knock sound like a needed adjustment. There is some play in the steering, but it has never been tight to begin with.
If it matters, its a 2x4, 4 door, w/ automatic and 167,000 miles. This adjustment has not ever been done to my knowledge.
Sorry for the long post,
Thankyou for any input

P.S. I meant to ask if it was pertinent that I adjusted the mesh per the steering wheel torque process, or if it would be ok to just adjust it be feel. I understand its meant to be tighter at center than to the left or right. If I put the wheel at center and simply adjusted it to rid it of the knocking sound and play, would that be good enough? I'm not racing the thing. Just want it a little tighter and not making noises. Once again, thanks and i apologize for the long post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One quick question: is there any way to determine if the worm gear bearing load or the mesh needs to be adjusted?
Thanks

The only way I know to check it is to to compare how much movement there is between the input shaft on the box to the pitman arm movement. You can try to adjust the worm gear some to get rid of some of the movement, but if the box is bad, you won't get rid of the movment, you will just make things tight (in extreme cases, bind) and then the steering wont' return to center.

~Mark

A few years back I adjusted the steering gear by feel (no in/lbs torque wrench).. The box was very sloppy and my vehicle was a handfull to keep under control at highway speeds.. The slower the speed the easier to control. Anyway I removed the intake and loosened the jam nut on the gear, and used a large screwdriver to adjust the worm gear 1/8 turn. I would them tighten the jam nut, and take the truck for a spin and re-adjust.. My problem (like most) was a overly worn Steering gear (only cure is a rebuild or replacement).. When I tightened the gear too much, just like Maniak indicated the wheel will not self center and feels like its binding (which I'm sure it was because of the excessive preload). I replaced the gear and now my steering is 100% :)

Did you replace just the gears within or the whole box assembly?
Are there any rebuild kits for these steering gear boxes?
Thank you for the help.

Did you replace just the gears within or the whole box assembly?
Are there any rebuild kits for these steering gear boxes?
Thank you for the help.

I believe there are rebuild kits, but I replaced the whole unit due to time contraints and not wanting to open a can of worms if the box had other issues.

A few years back, I stripped the teeth on the input shaft of the steering gear box in my Ranger. I bought a replacement from the junkyard for ~$25, and learned that Ford put the identical box in every truck for decades, from Rangers and Exs, to F250s. FYI.

I have a 98 Eddie Bauer that has some play in the wheel. I have had the front end checked out and everything is good. Whats the easy way to check the steering gears?

Get a new box, put the liability on the rebuild company. I ordered a new one for $179.00 with a $80 core. Also check the rag joint and slip joint bushings in the steering shaft, these can cause loosness.

Bobinwashington,

Look at Maniak's responce in this thread. I think your 98 has rack and pinion steering, but the process should be the same, input vrs. output.

Back