Explorer that sits for a few days cranks a long time before starting. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer that sits for a few days cranks a long time before starting.

outrun

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer AWD 4.6 EB
I have noticed that when my Explorer sits for a few days it takes longer than normal to crank before starting. Once it starts, it is just fine after I shut it off and try to turn it back on. Especially once it gets warm.

I had a problem a few weeks ago. I parked on a hill and went out to start my car when it was cold. When I came back the car was off. Then I tried to crank it over and it would not start. I thought I had enough gas, but the angle must have been severe enough that the pump was not able to suck the gas. So I put it in neutral and backed down the hill and it started. After that is when this began. If I drive it everyday it seems to crank and fire up right away. But for a day or so it takes a good 3+ seconds of cranking to start.

Does this sound like my pump might be going out? Seems like a loss of pressure as it sits over time.

What do you all think?

I have noticed that when my Explorer sits for a few days it takes longer than normal to crank before starting. Once it starts, it is just fine after I shut it off and try to turn it back on. Especially once it gets warm.

I had a problem a few weeks ago. I parked on a hill and went out to start my car when it was cold. When I came back the car was off. Then I tried to crank it over and it would not start. I thought I had enough gas, but the angle must have been severe enough that the pump was not able to suck the gas. So I put it in neutral and backed down the hill and it started. After that is when this began. If I drive it everyday it seems to crank and fire up right away. But for a day or so it takes a good 3+ seconds of cranking to start.

Does this sound like my pump might be going out? Seems like a loss of pressure as it sits over time.

What do you all think?
Howdy

I've noticed this on my 04' Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6. I AM NOT a mechanic, so please bear with me. It manifests itself in 3 different ways.

1) In Texas we shift temperatures quickly, just like the Feb 2021 Storm. IF I park it on a 20 degree incline while warm, let it sit overnight and the temp drops considerably, the engine MUST be cranked a good amount of rev's before the engine will fully start. It is as if the fuel pressure is low.
2) If I do not get the engine to start on the first crank, it takes longer on the 2nd crank to get the engine running, just like in 1). It's as if the fuel pump has not brought the system up to pressure.
3) Sometimes when I park my Explorer, when I exit I smell fuel. It seems to come from the tank region. However with the smell of fuel at the rear of the car, I've learned that the next crank will be like 1) or 2) above.
4) My mechanic has looked at it and stated more than once that everything looks fine meaning that at 148 k miles, the pump (knock on wood) is doing fine thus far.

Back