• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Throwing Different Codes

Rico@8940

Reaction score
City, State
Browns Mills
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Good Afternoon, I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT V6 Flex engine model, I’m getting multiple codes when I run my scanner. PO304, PO316, PO420 and PO300. I got a tune up like 2 months ago, new coils, plugs, coil pack. I ran the codes today and this is what I’m getting. The truck also misfires when it idles too long on a cold start but doesn’t mis fire when I am driving it to work. When I pull up to a stop sign, you could feel it shake a little but not as rough as when I start it in the morning.

May or may not be related to the work that was done. With that many codes surfacing at the same time, I wonder about bad engine ground strap(s) or ground connections. You can actually have a ground strap corrode internally (insulated type) without it being evident upon visual inspection. Sometimes you have to disconnect one end and check with a meter.

Crank position sensor out of bounds, and multiple cylinder misfires, and catalyst below threshold. Did this start with the tuneup? I’d check the crank sensor first, then make sure the wires were good, it’s easy to damage them, especially if you cheaped out on them.

Additional thoughts: what components could have been disconnected during the tune-up, and which ones could have been otherwise disturbed? As Mbrooks420 mentioned the CPS, the CPS harness does run right by the coil pack, so it could have been disturbed if it is getting brittle, etc. They may have also removed the intake tube to get to the passenger side bank, which entails disconnecting the MAF.

Back